Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Griffey repeat 2007 in 2008?????

Can Griffey repeat 2007 in 2008?????

Now that the Reds have Baker, who has a penchant for playing vets no matter how they screw up, we would have to assume the JR will play RF almost everyday no matter how he hits.

If we make that assumption, which JR shows up in 2008? The .275, 30 HR, guy from 2007, or the .200, no power at all guy that has showed up for a couple of long stretches before?

And if JR is hitting .200, and Bruce is hitting .350 in AAA, will Baker bench JR and ask WK to bring Bruce up?

I have my own gut feeling about what will happen, but I am interested in opinions or stats that can support a prediction.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Griffey repeat 2007 in 2008?????

I expect Griffey to do pretty close to what he did last year. I hope he gets some days off. It seemed Griffey was getting tired at the end of the season and his bat speed was slowing. With having a bunch of tough lefties in Hamilton and Dunn I would see some opportunities to sit him - which could keep him strong. One thing I learned yes, you play to win ever day, but to win a championship you need everyone to contribute and I think it's a bad idea to just play griffey every day. Especially, considering some of the players like Freel and Hopper who at this point are both probably better defensively. You still have Griffey on the bench to PH in a spot too! As long as he's in Cincy I see 30HRs a possibility. He doesn't have the same power, but he can get it out at GABP and he needs his legs. So if they use him right he can be a star.

On the Bruce question - no, they will never bench Griffey and bring up Bruce and if Jr. is hitting .200 you won't be able to trade him.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I honestly think having Baker around will help Griffey. That doesn't mean it will keep him healthy, but if he is able to stay somewhat injury free, yes I expect him to duplicate his '07 season. Junior will always be able to hit. He is now a liability on the basepaths and at times defensively. Some would argue the latter but I have witnessed it far too many times over the last couple years. Which is hard for me to say about a guy who was once one of the best defensive OF I had ever seen play.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I would like to see them limit Jr. to 125-130 games. I believe he has one more year of .280 25HR 85 RBI in him. After that...not too sure.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd be worried about his legs. Clearly he was increasingly sluggish over the course of the season and you have to think that will affect his offense. I imagine the ideal situation is playing him pretty much every day in April & May, getting him #600 while keeping him healthy. Then, unless we're in the division lead, flipping him in June or July to move Hamilton to RF and open CF for Bruce. It just works so perfectly.

If he stays a Red, I think he sees a DL stint or two with nagging injuries like a groin/hammy, gets 450 PA and hits .270 with 20-25 homers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

No, 20 Hrs, .260ish avg, 70 ish rbi. If he is able to stay healthy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

No, unlike A-Rod, he doesn't take steroids to regenerate his career.

He'll have the "natural" swoon of a Hall-of-Famer with multiple major injuries over the last half of a decade, and a player who didn't work out until after the age of 30.

400 at-bats, 25 homers, 80 RBI's, 70 Runs scored, 8 errors in RF, bad-range in RF, Great intangibles, an ability to get a clutch hit on the best pitchers in the game by rising to the occasion. Bat him 5th.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?