Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the selection of Dusty Baker as manager?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 23.89%
  • No

55 48.67%
  • Unsure

31 27.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Poll" on Dusty Baker, part two

"The Poll" on Dusty Baker, part two

Now that the Dust has settled, it might be interesting to see if people's opinions have changed.

The first time we ran this poll, the results were overwhelmingly against hiring Dusty Baker as manager. 63.87% voted "No" to the question "Are you happy with the Reds hiring Dusty Baker as manager?"

A tremendous discussion ensued, and I wonder how many, if any, minds were changed.

So, the same question again with the same options.

Are you happy with the Reds hiring Dusty Baker as manager?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "The Poll" on Dusty Baker, part two

Went "no" before, and now I am in the "unsure" bucket.

It all depends on how the rest of the off-season plays out.

If Wayne is shopping the clearance rack at the thrift shop looking for the next Stanton or Cormier, then there will be nothing left to say. If they put their money where their mouths are this time, then I'll care less that Dusty is the manager.

Dusty will have no prayer if Wayne releases Bullpen Bloodbath III next season.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Hell no. Still.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was unsure before and I will continue to be unsure until I see some changes attributable to Dusty.
    /r/reds

Still a big No over here.

I expect the Unsures will pick up.
    Go Gators!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

My first time around, I voted "no" and I still did mainly because. You know, just because. Truth is, as we get away from the shock of it all, I see some positives. The main positives are:

1. He isn't a manager who doesn't have a record.

Since Jack McKeon, we've had Bob Boone (losing record), Dave Miley (no record), Jerry Narron (losing record), and Pete Macklanin (no record). Now some may say a manager makes no difference, but I differ with this opinion. There's a reson why some guys win and others lose. Dusty is a winner.

2. He may have connections.

OK, so maybe not, but you have to admit that Boone, Miley, and Narron didn't have any that we knew of. Well, maybe the Josh Hamilton connection, but that was a shot in the dark. Truth is that we have hired so many nobodies, it a wonder we have done as well as we have.

3. He's good with the press if you're not Steve Stone. And he's good with the players.

Listening to Boone,. Miley, and Narron was torture. Same old lines game after game. At least with Dusty there's no Gene Mauch connection (why do I want to drive a stake into the heart of anyone who has that connection??). The players will be happy and they'll love him -- if they win. It's easy to hate someone when you lose. His record probably means we'll probably win more than we lose so it assures us of a happy clubhouse. As for the press, Steve Stone isn't here (or Kurt Merkur for that matter), so it should be OK.

As much as I hate to say it, he needs to have a chance. We gave that chance to Boone (well, barely), Miley (after a year and a half honeymoon) and Narron (I stil can hear the arguments for why he should not be blamed for the downward slide he presided over). We loved Mack just because the team won two more games than they lost. He deserves a chance to prove his worth.

I think the people that voted "Yes" the first time around are voting "Yes" again. Some of the people that voted "No" the first time around now will vote "Maybe". I'd bet the amount of people jumping from "No" to "Yes" is low.

NO and still a resounding NO! I do not care if he helps them improve I think long term his decision making will set the Reds back. What I am personally hoping for is they win in spite of him and that Wayne K will say Dusty you mess with the Crown Jewel arms of this team I will gut you like a fish. Emotional yes........ but I just hope a man who has made mistakes from the past learns and prospers as our skipper but not at the cost of long term contention. Something is building here finally and I want to enjoy it long term.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Hell no. Still.
    Exactly. I tempered my anger and rashness a couple of days later because it's something we, as Red fans, have to live with and can't change; but I don't care one bit for the guy's hiring, and my opinion has not changed.

We finally went outside the organization and got that 'big name" manager. Whoppee!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I can't even really put a finger on why I dislike Dusty Baker. Maybe part of it is because he used to manage the Cubs, and I look at it like if the Buckeyes hired Lloyd Carr or something like that.

However, I am glad that they went outside "the family" to get someone. I just wish it would have been someone else.

I answered no to the poll, but really I didn't care for any of the managers out there that were talked about. I really, really, really didn't want Larussa, and Torre didn't really tickle my fancy. I'm glad they didn't go after Brenly as well.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Liked it to begin with, like it now.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Still NO.

I aint seen nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Exactly. I tempered my anger and rashness a couple of days later because it's something we, as Red fans, have to live with and can't change; but I don't care one bit for the guy's hiring, and my opinion has not changed.

We finally went outside the organization and got that 'big name" manager. Whoppee!

What's this "we" stuff? Are you speaking for your children or did a bunch of Reds fans invade your house?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Dusty, just like anyone else, is going to have to earn the respect and appreciation for his management style by the various results that he obtains with individuals, team and overall results for a sustained period of time.

In basketball and football a man and his staff are recognized for their ability to get the most out of their individual performers to make the team better, they have an ability to take what they have and make them better, can Dusty and his staff do that with what the Reds resources are? It remains to be seen.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While I've calmed a bit, I still don't like it. While I do like the implications in so far as it shows that they are committed to putting a winner out there, it still begs the question to me their attitude towards an analytical approach. I worry that we're a bit too heavy on the old school methods without actually having that sort of expertise in house.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?