Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the selection of Dusty Baker as manager?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 23.89%
  • No

55 48.67%
  • Unsure

31 27.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Poll" on Dusty Baker, part two

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: "The Poll" on Dusty Baker, part two

I have liked it from day one and I still do. People who think we could have landed someone better are mistaken IMO. Dusty will get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

Joe Torre was not walking through that door (unfortunately)

Tony LaRussa was not walking through that door (thank god... leave his hgh lab in his basement to the cardinals)

Joe Girardi was not walking through that door.

Pete Mackanin would have been a fine choice, but he was the victim of timing. After the Reds hired two "interim" managers like Miley and Narron, they were not going to re-hire another interim guy. Even though Mackanin did a solid job, he didn't have a chance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Tony LaRussa was not walking through that door (thank god... leave his hgh lab in his basement to the cardinals)
    Actually, Tony turned down an offer from the Reds.
    /r/reds

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What's this "we" stuff? Are you speaking for your children or did a bunch of Reds fans invade your house?
    I have a feeling Ol' GACster is gonna be stuck with that one for a while. Like a goofy nick name you got stuck with as a kid.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I hate the hire, but I am willing to give Dusty a chance...which ends the first time a pitcher throws his 126th pitch.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Actually, Tony turned down an offer from the Reds.
    Yeah, I didn't say the Reds wouldn't want Torre or LaRussa, I just said it was never going to happen.

Odd we would demand Tony sign on for 4 years
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Odd we would demand Tony sign on for 4 years
    Maybe Krivsky and Cast do have a plan?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Dusty needs some warm weather. That hat and coat doesn't suit him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Hell no. Still.
    Amen.

The guy's a clueless *****.

You could show him 10 different ways why Bronson Arroyo can only go so many pitches before:

A) He's ineffective; and,

B) He'll get injured if he throws past a certain number of pitches.

All of us on this site know what that number is as we've had the discussion numerous times. But, what will Baker do?

He'll go past that number and injure Bronson before the season's 2 months old.

That's just one example on how I am 100% sure why Dusty Baker is ineffective as a Manager.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 10-30-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Potentially offensive wording.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Amen.

Love the Old Red Guard.... higher level reading yeppers.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 10-30-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: See original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Amen.

You could show him 10 different ways why Bronson Arroyo can only go so many pitches before:

A) He's ineffective; and,

B) He'll get injured if he throws past a certain number of pitches.

All of us on this site know what that number is as we've had the discussion numerous times. But, what will Baker do?

He'll go past that number and injure Bronson before the season's 2 months old.

That's just one example on how I am 100% sure why Dusty Baker is ineffective as a Manager.
    This post is hilarious. You call the guy a clueless ***** and ineffective basing it on the premise that he will overuse Arroyo, something he hasn't done yet. Maybe he will, but judge him on the past not some hypothetical case.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 10-30-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: See original post.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    This post is hilarious. You call the guy a clueless retard and ineffective basing it on the premise that he will overuse Arroyo, something he hasn't done yet. Maybe he will, but judge him on the past not some hypothetical case.
    Mark Prior says hi.

I don't agree with the tone of his post, but Baker does have a history.

That said I watched him a lot on BBTN. And he really seemed to start to understand more about pitch counts and effectiveness. I guess being on the set with Peter Gammons and Tim Kurkjian will force a guy to listen. High pitch count MIGHT lead to injury. High pitch counts OFTEN lead to diminished effectiveness.

But it isn't just the pitching. If we start seeing Norris Hopper on a REGULAR BASIS while Hamilton is healthy, well that's a whole 'nother problem. If we see Gonzales hitting in the two-hole on a REGULAR BASIS, that's another issue.

And all of this is moot if Krivsky doesn't fix the damn pen.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I didn't like the hire then, and while M2's reasoning has softened my initial hatred of the move, I'm still not on-board with it.

Big name or no, a poor history of handling pitchers, poor lineup construction, questionable use of younger players and excuse making in the press doesn't strike me as a good direction for the team.

That said, if M2 is right and this is a harbinger of bringing some bigger names and opening the pocketbooks to get the players/pitching we need, then I can learn to appreicate the move.

And when it's all said and done, while I don't care for Dusty, fact is he has a whole lotta wins in his W/L column. You can't erase all of them by simply saying "Bonds". The Giants had Bonds last year...and were in last place.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I voted no once again because there were others out there I would have preferred. That being said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on being able to get the job done.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Still fresh in my memory are the games against the Cubs where I'd see Miley and Narron outmanage Mr. Baker.

I'd think how great it was that Dusty wasn't managing the REDS.

I was pretty enthusiastic about the 2008 (and beyond) REDs. Not anymore. I can't see the team performing even half decently under him.

There is NOTHING about Baker managing the team that appeals to me.

But I guess I'm not upset about it anymore. Just depressed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?