Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Compare and Contrast Jay Bruce and Josh Hamilton

Compare and Contrast Jay Bruce and Josh Hamilton

How do these two guys stack up defensively? Which one is/will be the better outfielder? Which guy has better range? Better arm?

What about on the offensive side? Is there enough "data" to make a determination?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Compare and Contrast Jay Bruce and Josh Hamilton

From what I understand, Jay Bruce runs better routes than Hamilton, while Hamilton gets the edge in speed, range and that cannon of an arm. The biggest plight to Hamilton's D that I've heard is that he is bit rusty in running his route, and can get fooled (or sometimes just plain burned) on balls in the gap.

Offensively, Bruce is probably your higher AVG hitter but with less power than Hamilton. Hamilton probably stands to walk a few more times than Bruce, but I see that as kind of a wash.

To be honest I find it difficult to compare Hamilton to anyone. Lets be honest, we havn't seen anyone do what Hamilton has done since WW2. What was amazing with Hamilton is that he was completly over matched in every at bat early in the year and still found a way to hit. I think what he does next season will enable you to get a real glimpse at his true game. It is scary to think what those two could do as tandem out fielders for the reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    To be honest I find it difficult to compare Hamilton to anyone. Lets be honest, we havn't seen anyone do what Hamilton has done since WW2. What was amazing with Hamilton is that he was completly over matched in every at bat early in the year and still found a way to hit. I think what he does next season will enable you to get a real glimpse at his true game. It is scary to think what those two could do as tandem out fielders for the reds.
    I guess I am thinking more from a "tools" perspective.

Do they both profile as corner OFers? Is Bruce a legit CF prospect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think right now Jay Bruce is more of a legit CFer than Hamilton is. Hamilton has a better arm, but Jay still has a cannon that is very accurate... Hamilton is just ridiculous. The concern with Bruce in CF is that he will continue to grow and will become to big for CF, but for now, he is fine out there.

As far as offense goes.... I am not sure at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think right now Jay Bruce is more of a legit CFer than Hamilton is. Hamilton has a better arm, but Jay still has a cannon that is very accurate... Hamilton is just ridiculous. The concern with Bruce in CF is that he will continue to grow and will become to big for CF, but for now, he is fine out there.

As far as offense goes.... I am not sure at this point.
    Gotcha.

When do you see Bruce cracking the big league roster?

Also, if you had to guess, what about Stubbs? (I know he's a long way off.)

What do those two guys need to do to become big leaguers?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If i was going to compare anyone playing to Hamilton right now it would be Sizemore. Honestly thats about as close and I can come up with.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Gotcha.

When do you see Bruce cracking the big league roster?

Also, if you had to guess, what about Stubbs? (I know he's a long way off.)

What do those two guys need to do to become big leaguers?
    Bruce, late 2008 at the absolute latest. March 2008 at the earliest. Trade rumors with Griffey are swirling around baseball from what I am hearing.

As for Stubbs, mid 2009 is my guess.

As for Jay, all he needs to do to become a big leaguer is to be put on the 25 man roster. Drew Stubbs needs to just continue to play his game and stay healthy (something he has yet to do in the Reds system). If he does that and just keeps progressing along, he will be fine.

Thanks doug. You are the man.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I see Jay Bruce as a younger version of Josh Hamilton. It seems like Josh was much like Jay when he began his career, but took an unlikely path after his injuries. They both have all the tools an outfielder could ever need. Being older, Josh is more physically developed, but his life experiences may prove invaluable if he ever gets deep into the post-season. The ability to relax in a World Series game (because it's just a game and you're happy to still be alive) coupled with his raw talent, could turn out to be a winning combination. I only hope that we get to find out. Frankly, the prospect of watching a Dunn-Hamilton-Griffey outfield transform into a Dunn-Bruce-Hamilton and eventually a possible Hamilton-Stubbs-Bruce and/or a Frazier-Bruce-Hamilton is just exhilirating. Oh, to finally have a hope for the future...it's a feeling foreign to most Reds fans, a very welcome foreign feeling.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 11-05-2007 at 10:56 AM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Being older, Josh is more physically developed, but his life experiences may prove invaluable if he ever gets deep into the post-season. The ability to relax in a World Series game (because it's just a game and you're happy to still be alive) coupled with his raw talent, could turn out to be a winning combination.
    Not to be Debbie Downer, but there is another side to that coin. Hamilton could pull a Stanley Wilson, crumble under the pressure, and have a relapse.

Let's remember that there is no such thing as a former addict. Recovery is a lifelong proposition. I for one will always be on pins & needles when it comes to Hamilton's ability to stay on the wagon.

Turn Off Ads?