Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fox and MLB don't mind WS games that end after midnight... But fans do

Re: Fox and MLB don't mind WS games that end after midnight... But fans do

The Super Bowl usually starts somewhere between 6 and 6:30 Eastern time. The ratings are usually pretty good no? It seems that they could do that on the week-end at least.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Super Bowl usually starts somewhere between 6 and 6:30 Eastern time. The ratings are usually pretty good no? It seems that they could do that on the week-end at least.

The Super Bowl isn't competing against the NFL or college football. Also, the Super Bowl is one game, winner take all. If it were the best 4 out of 7 I'm sure the ratings wouldn't be quite as strong.

One thing to remember, one of the best games ever in the World Series was Game 6 of the 1975 series which went on past midnight. I've yet to hear anyone complain that that game lasted too long - which was on a weeknight, no less.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think Chip works for FOX :
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Super Bowl isn't competing against the NFL or college football. Also, the Super Bowl is one game, winner take all. If it were the best 4 out of 7 I'm sure the ratings wouldn't be quite as strong.

One thing to remember, one of the best games ever in the World Series was Game 6 of the 1975 series which went on past midnight. I've yet to hear anyone complain that that game lasted too long - which was on a weeknight, no less.
    That game also went to 12 innings.... and it was still 18 minutes shorter than last nights game.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That game also went to 12 innings.... and it was still 18 minutes shorter than last nights game.

So what? It still lasted around 4 hours on a weeknight. Oh, how did I ever become a baseball fan with a game lasting that long? You think that kids in Boston are going to be turned off by last night's game?

Game 6 of the 1975 series was not the norm; it was a long, extra inning, close, compelling game. Those happen once in awhile and fans can handle them once in awhile.

But the typical game should not take 3 and a half hours or more. It doesn't matter what time of day it starts. If you start games at 1:30 in the afternoon, they shouldn't go on until dinner. The average game is just too long and the average playoff game is way too long.

AL games are particularly long probably because the pitchers (often automatica outs) don't hit. Some national broadcasts have too many commercials.

I think the problem in large part is that pitchers are taught to go slow in big games. Don't worry about delay, just take your time and concentrate. If there was some requirement that they pitch within 20 seconds of getting the ball from the catcher, it would move the game along. And I don't think it would hurt the integrity of the game to have such a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the problem in large part is that pitchers are taught to go slow in big games. Don't worry about delay, just take your time and concentrate. If there was some requirement that they pitch within 20 seconds of getting the ball from the catcher, it would move the game along. And I don't think it would hurt the integrity of the game to have such a rule.
    I think that's part of it too. I also think it's a fallacy to say that the only reason the games are so long is because the players are seeing more pitches. It may be part of it, but the space between pitches is longer, and advertising time has indeed increased exponentially even since I was a kid.

I'm also completely open to the possibility that these games feel longer because they're being brought to us through the minds of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Certainly I feel slower when I listen to them.

This is one good thing about working the night shift. I DVR the games during the week and watch them @ about midnight while fast forwarding through the commercials. I have watched nearly every playoff game except for most of the Angles/Red Sox division series. I also live in the central time zone and the 7:35 start time is good for weekend games. Would it not be correct that the largest part of the country is not on eastern time?

The biggest complaint I have with FOX is Joe Buck and especially Tim McCarver. They are extremely boring. You have to really love baseball to listen to their nonsense. If the Reds were in the Series, I don't believe you guys would be falling asleep.

When I was a kid, I remember peeking through the bedroom door into the living room watching the playoffs and World Series. They were on too late then and I was suppose to be sleeping. I also spent a lot of nights with my headphones on listening to Vin Scully, Jack Buck and whoever else on the radio. When I have children I will certainly let them stay awake to watch the World Series if they are interested.
    Last edited by Jpup; 10-28-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

So what? It still lasted around 4 hours on a weeknight. Oh, how did I ever become a baseball fan with a game lasting that long? You think that kids in Boston are going to be turned off by last night's game?
    Kids in Boston weren't but what about the kids in the rest of the country?

The World Series is baseball's signature event. It should be quite an attraction. The NFL used to move its Sunday night game to Thursday to accomodate the series. If Baseball claimed its territory as a national game that all could see (including kids) on the week-end with a 6:30 PM start, people would watch and they may even lay a foundation for the future.

This year, I saw few of the games and the story that got me a little excited for post sesason play was put on hold for three All Star breaks worth of off days. Meanwhile the AL series was taking days off on days where there wasn't even a need for a travel day.

The Play-offs could have been compacted with the Series playing Games 1 and 2 at 6:30 PM on a Saturday and Sunday, three games during the week starting at 8 or even 8:30 and Games 6 and 7 if need be on the following week-end also starting at 6:30. Instead Baseball chose to duck the main stage and become a niche event that really wasn't available to the entire nation on any day. I'm sure this schedule maximized Baseball's short term profits, but it had the effect of making its prime event something less than a prime event IMO. I wonder what that will do to the next TV contract.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Game 6 of the 1975 series was not the norm; it was a long, extra inning, close, compelling game. Those happen once in awhile and fans can handle them once in awhile.

But the typical game should not take 3 and a half hours or more. It doesn't matter what time of day it starts. If you start games at 1:30 in the afternoon, they shouldn't go on until dinner. The average game is just too long and the average playoff game is way too long.

AL games are particularly long probably because the pitchers (often automatica outs) don't hit. Some national broadcasts have too many commercials.

So long games are only bad when they aren't close? Game 2 this year was pretty close.

A typical game shouldn't take that long. If these were typical games, no one would care that they started at 8:30.
    The writer hit it on the money when he said that the main culprit is that these games are getting long because of the amount of pitches they are seeing. Take 30 seconds off each commercial after each half inning and you have saved only 9 minutes. That game last night would still have lasted around 4 hours. That's just the nature of the beast.

They have tried many times in the past to put a clock on pitchers but for one reason or another they have never made permanant.

Hey, it's the bottom of the 7th and it's not even 11:00 yet. If this game gets over by 11:30, are people still going to complain about the starting time?

So long games are only bad when they aren't close? Game 2 this year was pretty close.

Hey, it's the bottom of the 7th and it's not even 11:00 yet. If this game gets over by 11:30, are people still going to complain about the starting time?
    Long games are bad when they are the norm. Once in awhile a close, extra inning nail biter will be long, and that's ok. But last night was 10-5, not exactly a Series classic, and it seems to have lasted pretty long. I, for one, didn't make it through to the end.

As someone else said, baseball fans should relish these games. Instead, I find myself wishing the games would end. Maybe if the Reds ever get to the post-season again I will feel differently.

Baseball doesn't care about its TV ratings with kids. They don't buy beer and cars.

It the male 18-49 group that they care about. And ratings are great with them.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Baseball doesn't care about its TV ratings with kids. They don't buy beer and cars.

It the male 18-49 group that they care about. And ratings are great with them.
    They are now, but how about when those kids fall into that 18-49 group?

A typical game shouldn't take that long. If these were typical games, no one would care that they started at 8:30.
    Chip, you keep saying that, but I personally do think that 8:30 is too late a start time no matter how long the games lasts. As I said in an earlier post, even 8:00 would make a big difference to me because it sets it up as a typical primetime event and cuts everything down to a half-hour earlier.

7:30 seems pretty ideal in my opinion (yes, it sucks for the West Coast, but as I said before I don't see a real solution to that as 8:30 is tough for them anyway). It's close enough to real "prime time" but not abnormally late; it's still a kids-are-awake time. And from a ratings standpoint I think it might actually serve the network better: a casual viewer who flips on the TV at 8 pm is a lot more likely to stay tuned to a game that's in somewhat full swing than a bunch of annoying talking heads who are playing up a game that starts in half an hour. By the time that half an hour has gone by, the casual viewer has long since flipped to something else. 7:00 preshow, 7:30 game start. What's wrong with that?

And then my grampa, who goes to bed around nine, can watch an hour an a half of the game instead of less than 30 minutes. He'd be more likely to watch more of a game he's been into for an hour and a half too.

Turn Off Ads?