Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fox and MLB don't mind WS games that end after midnight... But fans do

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Fox and MLB don't mind WS games that end after midnight... But fans do

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Two time zones? throw in no daylight savings time and I'm in.

These people advocate that we don't move our clocks back and forth and they make some good arguments.

http://standardtime.com/

On the one hand, the daylight savings time saves energy. But we probably waste a lot of that "saved" energy on lost productivity, hospitalizations, death, and inefficient behavior.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

I strongly agree with the article.

Too much dead time between games. CRAZY to have the Rockies idle for 8 days. Absolutely inexcusable. Yes, the Sox were better anyway...but 8 days!

Longer commercial breaks shouldn't be allowed. Period.

Umps should speed up the game. In Game 4 tonight, the ump (Merriweather) had a big strike zone. That sped things up a little.

Start times should be earlier. I live in the Mountain time zone, and I wouldn't mind a 6:30 or 7:00 pm start time at all. Even my kids, who are 10 and 11 and a little bit interested, had to go to bed every night before the games were over. And it is two hours earlier here than back east.

Also, it was a boring World Series, really. The Rockies were ahead one time, 1-0, for maybe an inning. I hate Tim McCarver...had to keep muting the sound because I couldn't listen to him. Joe Buck is tolerable to me, barely. Much prefer Joe Morgan and others....even though I really don't love Joe either. Why not use Thom Brennaman? Al Michaels? They are MUCH better than Buck or McCarver.

I was raised on the old two division playoffs, no wildcard, and a 5 game LCS. I remember some great LCS series....and the WS started about a week after the regular season was over. Now we are done with MLB for another year, and the Reds played their last game exactly 4 weeks ago, and that was with a WS sweep. It drags on too long for any but hometown fans of the WS teams and truly rabid baseball nuts, like most of us, to stay interested. I agree that something should be done.
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Longer commercial breaks shouldn't be allowed. Period.
    Yep, the 90 seconds of additional ad time between half-innings amounts to nearly an additional half hour. It's not the only source of blame, but it is a big one.

I watched the first four or five innings last night. It seemed like an eternity between pitches. Much improvement can be made there. Keep the batter in the box and reduce the time between pitches to 10-15 seconds. Get the game moving already.

And the 8:35 start time is ridiculous.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Two time zones? throw in no daylight savings time and I'm in.
    Nah, it should be all Daylight Savings Time, all the time. Same effect but more light.

Rem

I think MLB needs to revisit this new playoff schedule format.

Granted, they had the perfect storm of the NLCS being a 4 game sweep and the ALCS being 7 games, but that 8 day layoff really hurt the Rockies. Both from a momentum standpoint and a plain old sharpness of play standpoint. The Rockies needed to go to spring traiing and play some games before the WS began to get back into competition mode.

And, at least for me, MLB is close to pushing me to my "I don't care" breaking point for these playoff games. The endless (and pointless) pregame, the 8:35 start, the snails pace of the game, and the after-midnight-if-not-1-AM end times have gotten me to where I turn the channel and watch something else.

My wife and daughters wanted to watch "Desperate Housewives" and I said OK, I won't miss much. I watched the Bourne Supremacy (which I've seen 3 times now) instead of the ballgame. And I read. Turned on the ballgame after 11.

Pay attention to the open sky

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think MLB needs to revisit this new playoff schedule format.

Granted, they had the perfect storm of the NLCS being a 4 game sweep and the ALCS being 7 games, but that 8 day layoff really hurt the Rockies. Both from a momentum standpoint and a plain old sharpness of play standpoint. The Rockies needed to go to spring traiing and play some games before the WS began to get back into competition mode.

And, at least for me, MLB is close to pushing me to my "I don't care" breaking point for these playoff games. The endless (and pointless) pregame, the 8:35 start, the snails pace of the game, and the after-midnight-if-not-1-AM end times have gotten me to where I turn the channel and watch something else.

My wife and daughters wanted to watch "Desperate Housewives" and I said OK, I won't miss much. I watched the Bourne Supremacy (which I've seen 3 times now) instead of the ballgame. And I read. Turned on the ballgame after 11.

I'm with you Roy. MLB has actually pushed me over the limit.
    The only full inning of post-season baseball I saw this year was the bottom of the ninth last night (Game 4 of WS).
    ...and that's because Law and Order was over already.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Sure there is. Congress could mandate that we only have 2 time zones in the continental United States. China has only one time zone. We don't need four.

But if you're implying that baseball can't do anything about it, you're correct.
    Yeah, that is what I meant. I don't know much beyond that, but I will check out what you posted, it looks interesting.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Pitch clocks.

Give the pitcher 20 seconds from the moment he receives the ball back from the umpire until the ball has to leave his hands. And ban hitters from stepping out of the box mid at-bat. I'd bet you could cut a half hour off of most games, easy.

Post-season baseball is mind-numbingly slow, and a significant part of that is because of the elapsed time between pitches. I only need to see so many shots of Curt Schilling staring intently at the hitter.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Post-season baseball is mind-numbingly slow, and a significant part of that is because of the elapsed time between pitches. I only need to see so many shots of Curt Schilling staring intently at the hitter.
    As long as we make an exception for Andy Pettitte.

Pettitte's eyes over the glove in the postseason are the picture of baseball to me. And other things also.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Pettitte's eyes over the glove in the postseason are the picture of baseball to me. And other things also.
    I got Pettitte's autograph on a Columbus Clippers pennant after a Clippers game many moons ago. I remember thinking how nice he and Bernie Williams were. Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens is the third autograph that resides on that pennant. Worth its weight in gold, I tell you.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I have yet to see a post-season game in its entirety. I have gone to bed (or fallen asleep on the couch and then gone to bed) for everyone of them - and that's only the games that have been on FOX because I don't have cable.

This has been a slow, slow, slow series. I can't believe this is helpful to inducing more fans - let alone hanging on to the ones they still have. I'm going to start watching this one while I fold towels and then try on my winter shirts and then who knows. I know I won't see the end. Five fifteen comes really early most days!
    I'm the same as you. I did not see a post season game in it's entirety. I have last nights game on DVR I will try to watch it like I always try to watch the last game since I know its the last basball I will see until next season. It's just too bad they won't play an afternoon game on the weekend. When I think of World Series baseball I think of those long shadows and bright sunny afternoons of years past. I think it's just better overall for the game if they would at least play weekend afternoon games but I also know this will probably never happen again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watched about 5 innings of this World Series. It wasn't so much the 8:40 p.m. starts, it was the extremely slow pace of play. I can't remember which game, but I was flipping back and forth between the World Series and a college football game. I'd watch more than a few plays during the course of time it would take just one hitter to bat.

They really need to speed up play. I'm just not sure how.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Going to college we have two tv's set up side my side in my dorm. Mine is set to baseball the other is whatever college football game is on at that time. Needless to say you can see a man break off two 20 yard runs while your watching an at bat. I understand why people hate baseball, it's pitiful. I got to an NAIA school, we finished third in our region last year in baseball. Honest to God we probably had 25 fans at our last game of the season. I'll be glad when March gets here and the regular season for us starts back.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The slow play is a bit annoying, but mostly for me it's the late start times. I'm not home that often anyway, but I was home for the weekend and found myself getting pretty sleepy by the 6th inning. If regular season games can start earlier, why not post season?

I can really understand why people are complaining. But for the reasons I've stated, don't expect anything to change.

I think like NJ said, I don't think it's the fact the games are starting so late it's that they are lasting so long. Last night the game was moving along pretty well. They had 6 innings in around the 2 hour mark which is a bit long but not too bad. But the game ended at about midnight. It took an hour and a half to play 3 innings. That's a cause for concern no matter what time you start the game. In the past they have tried to implement measures like 20 second clocks and not letting the batter step out of the box so much but it appears that enforcing them was something that they haven't been able to do.

I shudder to think how long a Red Sox intrasquad game would last.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?