Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Hybrid View

Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

per yahoo trade rumours:

Tejada, Bedard on MacPhail's trading block?

Sunday, Oct 28, 2007 10:43 am EDT
    Miguel Tejada

Getty Images

With CEO/president Andy MacPhail taking over the Orioles operation, you may see a couple of things develop, starting at the GM meetings in Orlando in early November.

First, MacPhail will likely look for takers for Miguel Tejada. The Orioles might have waited a year too long to deal him, but they'll make the attempt and hope to find a team that thinks he can play third base.

The second might be a surprise deal. The name heard most is lefty Erik Bedard. The feeling is the Orioles have enough starting pitching and need everyday players. Bedard could bring two or three major league-ready players.

Source: Boston Globe

Related: Miguel Tejada

This is a Lefty that would fit perfect!!!. Edwin as part of a package?? Freel? or Gonzo?

Re: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Depending on his health, I would make a move for him.

bedard is filthy & a top of the rotation pitcher IMO. his durability is always a question though. I'm not sure what the reds could offer, however. votto is perhaps a good start, paired with EE its pretty good.. even then that's a high price for the reds to pay, considering their stop gap options in place(freel, kepp.. tho I could live with hatty another year..) or in otherwords their lack of depth.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Good Lord. A 28 year old lefty who can lead the league in strikeouts and is making less than $4 million per year? If Bedard is available, the Reds should do everything in their power to get him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If the Reds could lock him up for a few years and if they're comfortable with his health, I'd trade Bailey and Votto for him. But color me skeptical that the Orioles are willing to trade him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Why in the world would the Orioles shop Erik Bedard? Tejada, i can understand. Cabrera or Loewen, I can understand. But Bedard?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Why in the world would the Orioles shop Erik Bedard? Tejada, i can understand. Cabrera or Loewen, I can understand. But Bedard?
    The O's aren't a smart bunch
    Go Gators!

I think it's going to take more than Edwin/Freel/Gonzo.

How about Bailey, EdE and Freel for Bedard? That might not even be enough...but that's what I'd shoot for.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think it's going to take more than Edwin/Freel/Gonzo.

How about Bailey, EdE and Freel for Bedard? That might not even be enough...but that's what I'd shoot for.
    Bailey, Wood, Freel, Hopper and fill in the blanks for Bedard.

That's right, Homer Bailey for Mr. Bedard.

Dunn and Bailey, if Dunn signs an extension. Maybe even with Edwin thrown in.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Talent wise, we likely can't afford him, at least not at a price we'd want to pay.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Talent wise, we likely can't afford him, at least not at a price we'd want to pay.

I don't know. Bedard would be major; I'd be willing to pay a big price, particularly if the Reds could lock him up. Hamilton and Bailey, even. Hamilton and Votto, if that's a need for the Orioles (I don't keep up anymore). Toss Wood or somebody into those packages if need be.

'course I'm medicated right now, but I really, really like Bedard.

I wouldn't move any of the big prospects for him, but I'd definitely talk Dunn during the season.

Not that I don't think he's worth it, but the Reds need to add him to the mix, not add him by taking away players like Bailey. He needs to be there with Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I wouldn't move any of the big prospects for him, but I'd definitely talk Dunn during the season.

Not that I don't think he's worth it, but the Reds need to add him to the mix, not add him by taking away players like Bailey. He needs to be there with Homer.
    What if they said, either Homer is included or no deal? Would you really let Homer Bailey keep you from acquiring Bedard?

I ask because the conversation would likely end abruply the second the Reds said Homer was off limits.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What if they said, either Homer is included or no deal? Would you really let Homer Bailey keep you from acquiring Bedard?

I ask because the conversation would likely end abruply the second the Reds said Homer was off limits.
    Depends on Bedards health and what else was in the deal.

Turn Off Ads?