Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What if they said, either Homer is included or no deal? Would you really let Homer Bailey keep you from acquiring Bedard?

I ask because the conversation would likely end abruply the second the Reds said Homer was off limits.
    Send Homer immediately.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really think if the O's were to trade Bedard to the Reds, they're going to want Bailey (or maybe Cueto). They're not going to give up their stud pitcher (did you see his numbers for last year in the toughest division of baseball?!?) without getting a good pitching prospect in the deal.

The Reds have the players to trade to make this deal happen (if the report is true). Bedard is only 28 and while his health may be questionable, I'd take the gamble at what he's making. If money is that big of an issue for a long-term deal for Bedard, pick up Dunn's option and then either deal him at the deadline or offer him arb at the end of the year and get the draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Why in the world would the Orioles shop Erik Bedard? Tejada, i can understand. Cabrera or Loewen, I can understand. But Bedard?
    The O's aren't a smart bunch
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What if they said, either Homer is included or no deal? Would you really let Homer Bailey keep you from acquiring Bedard?

I ask because the conversation would likely end abruply the second the Reds said Homer was off limits.
    I don't know if that would end the conversation, since this was also stated in the article:

The feeling is the Orioles have enough starting pitching and need everyday players. Bedard could bring two or three major league-ready players.

trading any young pitchers in order to get an often injured pitcher is stupid and the minute this guy hits the DL, I guarantee the same guys who want to just dump Bailey and Cueto will be sreaming, I mean screaming for Krivsky's scalp like Sitting Bull. So please stop it, theyre will be no trading Cueto and Bailey.

If the Orioles have enough pitching, why offer Bailey or Cueto.

I start by offering Encarncion and Hamilton for Bedard, and see where talks go from there.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

How did Bedard get a reputation as an injury risk? The guy went on the DL once in 2005 with a strained knee ligament, and then this season with a strained oblique. Two DL stints with non-arm related injuries in three years doesn't make him an injury risk.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

I'll chew off my hand if Bedard is actually traded. I'll chew off both my hands if Bedard is traded to the Reds.

Neither is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    So please stop it, theyre will be no trading Cueto and Bailey.
    Then you should not be surprised at why the Reds consistently find themselves in the bottom half of the standings year in and year out. Tossing Bailey and Cueto in the "off limits" pile is a mistake of the highest order.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Then you should not be surprised at why the Reds consistently find themselves in the bottom half of the standings year in and year out. Tossing Bailey and Cueto in the "off limits" pile is a mistake of the highest order.
    I am not sure off limits is the right thing, but guys of the Bailey and Cueto class of prospect, just are not moved by teams anymore. Top 20 prospects in baseball don't get moved. There are plenty of reasons why, money limitations being one of the bigger ones. Over the last 4 seasons, only Hanley Ramirez was moved the season he was ranked as a Top 20 prospect in baseball.... and that was for Josh Beckett (other players were involved as well), to a big market team, who doesn't really have a financial constrainment issue.

Not trading prospects isn't even remotely close to why the Reds find themselves out of contention though. There are plenty of reasons, and if that is one of them, it is pretty far down the list.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not trading prospects isn't even remotely close to why the Reds find themselves out of contention though. There are plenty of reasons, and if that is one of them, it is pretty far down the list.
    It may be the reason now, but I'll say right now if the Reds were presented with an offer to obtain a player of Bedard's stature and rejected it due to the fact that the requested return included a prospect such as Bailey, that directly harms the competitiveness of the franchise.

The reason this hasn't been an issue until now is because the Reds' farm system has been woefully short of top quality talent in recent years, particularly in the pitching department.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    It may be the reason now, but I'll say right now if the Reds were presented with an offer to obtain a player of Bedard's stature and rejected it due to the fact that the requested return included a prospect such as Bailey, that directly harms the competitiveness of the franchise.

The reason this hasn't been an issue until now is because the Reds' farm system has been woefully short of top quality talent in recent years, particularly in the pitching department.
    Well, you are making the assumption that Bedard will be of more value than Bailey over the next few years. While its a possibility (and a lot would say a very good one), who is to say its going to happen? It also comes back to what else goes on in the deal. What else do they want, if anything? How does that hinder our payroll? What does it do to our 2008 plans? How about the 2009 plans? There is a lot to take into consideration before saying it harms the competitiveness of the franchise.

Something tells me that the O's would demand Bruce in any deal for Bedard.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Something tells me that the O's would demand Bruce in any deal for Bedard.
    Agreed. That's who they would want. It would be like Ramirez-Beckett part II. I don't know if I could stomach giving him up. End of discussion.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, you are making the assumption that Bedard will be of more value than Bailey over the next few years. While its a possibility (and a lot would say a very good one), who is to say its going to happen?
    It's all about odds. And I like a proven commodity such as Bedard a lot more than an unproven one in Bailey.

The biggest assumption I am making has to do with payroll. I'm assuming that Bob and the Reds would pony up for a player such as Bedard. If not, then yeah the whole discussion is moot.

I'll also add that the 2008 and 2009 version of the reds looks a whole lot better with a starting trio of Harang, Bedard and Arroyo than it does currently.

Turn Off Ads?