Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Re: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. That's who they would want. It would be like Ramirez-Beckett part II. I don't know if I could stomach giving him up. End of discussion.
    I agree.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Agreed. That's who they would want. It would be like Ramirez-Beckett part II. I don't know if I could stomach giving him up. End of discussion.

And we all know how that turned out for the BoSox!!!!

Tardes can be good for both teams. I doubt either would undo the trade. I know the BoSox wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    And we all know how that turned out for the BoSox!!!!

Tardes can be good for both teams. I doubt either would undo the trade. I know the BoSox wouldn't.
    That's true, but it all comes down to whether you can stomach that kind of deal. Getting Beckett put the Sox in a class with two or three other teams for immediate World Series contender. Would this deal put the Reds in that category? If not, could you stomach the risk?
    Go BLUE!!!

That's true, but it all comes down to whether you can stomach that kind of deal. Getting Beckett put the Sox in a class with two or three other teams for immediate World Series contender. Would this deal put the Reds in that category? If not, could you stomach the risk?
    I'd truly hope that the GM of my favorite team could stomach taking exactly that kind of risk if he really believed it would make his team a legitimate championship contender. There still might be other reasons not to make a deal like that, but that reason shouldn't be one of them.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'd truly hope that the GM of my favorite team could stomach taking exactly that kind of risk if he really believed it would make his team a legitimate championship contender. There still might be other reasons not to make a deal like that, but that reason shouldn't be one of them.

That's the point. Does it?
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't think it makes them a contender.

When Bedard starts throwing 120 pitches per game because the bullpen gets lit up like a Christmas tree on a regular and consistent basis, then everyone will want to tar and feather Dusty in Fountain Square. But when he takes Bedard out after 6 innings and 90 pitches for a pinch hitter, he'll be an idiot because the bullpen is a joke.

If you are going to mortgage the future, you better be ready to win now. And this team is a Bedard, a few bullpen arms and a nice RH bat away from being a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

When Bedard starts throwing 120 pitches per game because the bullpen gets lit up like a Christmas tree on a regular and consistent basis, then everyone will want to tar and feather Dusty in Fountain Square. But when he takes Bedard out after 6 innings and 90 pitches for a pinch hitter, he'll be an idiot because the bullpen is a joke.

If you are going to mortgage the future, you better be ready to win now. And this team is a Bedard, a few bullpen arms and a nice RH bat away from being a contender.
    Getting an ace like Bedard would provide the impetus to actually go out and get those bullpen arms and RH bat. Building from the front to the back, not vice versa.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Getting an ace like Bedard would provide the impetus to actually go out and get those bullpen arms and RH bat. Building from the front to the back, not vice versa.
    If Bedard is the first move then I'm considering. But that is a big if, especially since we've already seen Wayne in action trying to build a bullpen.

If I was sure he was physically sound I might reluctantly consider Bailey, but I, under no circumstances, even discuss Bruce. Maybe they'll take Griffey too.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Maybe they'll take Griffey too.
    Hey, stranger things have happened. I'm sure the O's wouldn't mind replacing Aubrey Huff and his $8 million salary with Griffey.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I would trade Dunn and Bailey or Cueto for even a shot at entering that class.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

This whole discussion could be ended on Edabbs point. A brilliant post! This team is far from one true starter away from contending. For the division sure but is that what the Red's should be thinking? God i sure hope not.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    This whole discussion could be ended on Edabbs point. A brilliant post! This team is far from one true starter away from contending. For the division sure but is that what the Red's should be thinking? God i sure hope not.
    You have to walk before you can run. Putting together a team that can realistically win the division is the first step.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I do not think anyone is advocating going out and getting one year of a starting pitcher's services. If you got Bedard, as I understand it, he is a Red for at least two years.

Of course, if his first season was very good, you do what the Reds did with Arroyo, you offer to tear up the second year and give him an extension.

The way I see it, Dunn is gone after next year...period. Get used to it. So, if you can flip him now in a package for a late 20's starter, do it and don't stop to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    trading any young pitchers in order to get an often injured pitcher is stupid and the minute this guy hits the DL, I guarantee the same guys who want to just dump Bailey and Cueto will be sreaming, I mean screaming for Krivsky's scalp like Sitting Bull. So please stop it, theyre will be no trading Cueto and Bailey.
    Well then I hope somebody in the Reds FO has a calendar.

Harang and Arroyo are here through 2010 right? By the end of 2010, they might be gone, and EE, Phillips, Hamilton and probably Votto will be arbitration eligible. JR will be retired.

So, if the Reds are to win in anything near the next 5-6 years, it better be over the next 3 or forget it for a while again while they rebuild yet again.

So, how soon are Bailey or Cueto going to be a solid #2 behind Harang? 2008? 2009?

If would flip both of them to get a near sure thing. I would trade Dunn, Hamilton, Bailey and/or Cueto to get a #2 starter right now and take a shot at just winning the divison....even if the WS were not attainable yet.

Then maybe next year you get Castellini to spend JR's money on another pitcher and you bring up Stubbs to take JR's place.

Turn Off Ads?