Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Re: Eric Bedard possibly on the trading block? Reds should make a offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would do Dunn for Bedard in a second.

The O's would have no interest in Phillips as they have Brian Roberts.

I would explore a deal centered around Votto. Offer them Votto, Keppinger, and any prospect in the system not named Bruce, Cueto or Bailey. See if they bite on that.
    Well they look like they are wanting to get rid of Tejada.... if so, they could switch Phillips to SS and then there would be no problem with Roberts. If they indeed wanted to go that direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey, Hamilton and any two prospects (other than the two you named) seems like a little much to give up to me.... If they came asking for Bailey, Hamilton, Stubbs and Frazier do you really do that deal?
    Frazier can't be dealt yet, but insert someone else who can be traded (other than Bruce/Cueto) and I pull the trigger. Actualized power lefty Starters don't grow on trees.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thats over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Frazier can't be dealt yet, but insert someone else who can be traded (other than Bruce/Cueto) and I pull the trigger. Actualized power lefty Starters don't grow on trees.
    Well technically no, but he could always be a PTBNL.

Yup, Bruce and Cueto stay - anyone else should be fair game.

Harang and Bedard would be an extremely strong front two. Extremely strong.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If Dunn is going to be dealt, packaging him with a few prospects to get Bedard would be among the best possible returns. That said, he has full no-trade and then can name 10 teams, so I don't think he'd approve the deal to Baltimore.

This is clearly one of those cases where talent is foremost and if you have the opportunity to add a top end talent that cannot be obtained otherwise, you do it. I agree, no Cueto or Bruce, otherwise, make it happen.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    so I don't think he'd approve the deal to Baltimore.
    He would be a lot closer to Austin Kearns
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It probably would depend mostly on the contract extension the O's offered. It usually does, doesn't it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You have to walk before you can run. Putting together a team that can realistically win the division is the first step.
    Yes. We have a small window where we have Dunn, Harang, and Arroyo healthy and playing well. We have some other contributors like Phillips that are cheap productive talent.

We can either be conservative and hover around 500 the next few years, take some chances and go for it, or rebuild.

Being conservative is the least appealing to me. We've done that since 2000.. just try to hover around 500 (with mixed results).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Dunn has little trade value. Half year rentals have brought almost nothing in recent years. Trying to come up with a scenario to deal him and get a decent return is a non-starter. Dunn will hit it big as a free agent after 2008.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

I'd deal Cueto, too. The only off-limits player is Bruce.

Roster glue

I know he has a no-trade clause, but in the opinion of the board, would accepting a moderate contract like Melvin Mora's drive the price down (read: so that Bruce is not included)? It would make dealing EE more palatable, and Mora could see a boost from the friendlier ballpark and league.
    Reds record when I am in attendance 2006-2009: 11-36

Reds record when I am in attendance 2010: 4-5

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey, Hamilton and any two prospects (other than the two you named) seems like a little much to give up to me.... If they came asking for Bailey, Hamilton, Stubbs and Frazier do you really do that deal?

Where do I sign. The one prospect I'd have a hard time giving up is Jay Bruce.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For Bedard I start by saying .... here's the roster. Pick three. Negotiate from there.

Let's see...what do you offer for Erik Bedard.

Well, the sun and the moon. You start with Homer Bailey. You finish with Josh Hamilton or Encarnacion and any other two prospects in the system not named "Bruce" or "Cueto".

Approach 1: Freel, Hamilton, Votto and Bailey for Bedard and a AAA backup type (for depth).

Approach 2: Griffey, Freel, Votto or Hamilton (one), Bailey for Bedard and an unwanted salary, say Jay Peyton (if he's still an Oriole). If O's want Griff for publicity. Requires Griff's consent.

Approach 3: Bedard for Dunn, Freel, Votto or Hamilton (one), and a second-tier pitching prospect, say Lecure, Thompson, or Fisher. Homer stays a Red in this deal. Requires Dunn's consent.

No need to use EE in the deal; third basemen aren't that easy to come by and Reds need all the righty hitting they can get.

I would do Approach 1 and 2. Not sure about 3, but might feel compelled to do it to get top pitcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-02-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He would be a lot closer to Austin Kearns
    I'm sure they are friends, but that "Kearns and Dunn can't stand to play on different teams" bunk is coming right out of the Nats front office.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?