Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merged ARod Threads: Opts Out Then Signs With Yankees Again

Merged ARod Threads: Opts Out Then Signs With Yankees Again

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI reports Pay-Rod to opt-out of his contract

A-Rod to opt out of contract
    Boras notifies Yankees of client's free-agent wishes

DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez notified the Yankees on Sunday that he's opting out of his record $252 million contract, SI.com has learned.

Rodriguez's decision means he will become a free agent and be able to negotiate with all clubs. Rodriguez's bombshell move will shake up the entire winter for the Yankees -- who had hoped to retain him with a big extension -- as well as other big-market clubs that will now pursue him.

Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras said he sent word of the opt-out in writing Sunday and left phone and text messages for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

According to team president Randy Levine, the Yankees were unaware of Rodriguez's decision.

The Yankees have said that once A-Rod opts out, they wil not pursue him, since they will lose the benefit of the Texas Rangers' $30-million subsidy.

"Alex made the decision today,'' Boras said. "I thought we should notify the club.''

The Yankees were preparing an extension to his current contract for either five or six years, believed to be for close to $30 million annually. However, team officials said Boras has politely declined to meet with them in recent days, and they never presented the offer.

Rodriguez technically had until 10 days after the World Series ended to exercise his opt-out rights, which were provided in his $252 million Texas deal. However, Boras said Rodriguez felt there was no way he could make a decision to stay in that short a period of time since several situations remain unsettled, including those of Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

This should be interesting
    Most Vottomatic Player

Pay-Rod is gonna get PAID.

(let's hope it's not the Scrubbies!)

I suppose the Yankees potential offer was not going to be enough, after all. It will be interesting to see where he will get a better offer from.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

I second that !!

The Texas Rangers will be turning cartwheels since they do not have to pay the Yankees any more money.

Who else could it be other than the Cubs? Has to be Cubs, Mets, White Sox, Red Sox, Angels or Dodgers, right? Can't see any other market swinging it.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Pay-Rod is gonna get PAID.

If the Cubs did sign A-Rod, where would they play him/Aramis Ramirez? Would one move to the outfield? I, for one, wouldn't mind if the Cubs weighed themselves down with ARod's contract, especially considering that you can't expect a player to stay healthy every year of his career, especially when he is on the wrong side of 30.

However, if the Cubs were to sign ARod, they may have a higher propensity to spend money in the future.

Count me in the crowd of some one who wants a top closer (please Joe Nathan) over ARod.

Yeah... A top closer who pitchers 80 innings a year is so much more valuable than the best player in baseball...

I believe everyone should black ball Pay Rod for opting out of that deal.I mean sure Im all for players getting what they can from the owners,but come on does anyone need more than 25 mil. a year that he was getting.I believe not.I think the teams,fans,owners,and all players should black ball him for trying to get more than what he was already making.I know peoples going to blast for saying it but its true.The man already has enough money to make his grand children very rich people and probably his great grand kids aswell.I would just love to see the owners come out and I say Ill give you the 25 mil. a year but not anymore.But it wont happen.Theres not a owner in the league that has morales so it wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    If the Cubs did sign A-Rod, where would they play him/Aramis Ramirez? Would one move to the outfield? I, for one, wouldn't mind if the Cubs weighed themselves down with ARod's contract, especially considering that you can't expect a player to stay healthy every year of his career, especially when he is on the wrong side of 30.

However, if the Cubs were to sign ARod, they may have a higher propensity to spend money in the future.

Count me in the crowd of some one who wants a top closer (please Joe Nathan) over ARod.

Yeah count me in too.

Arod 2007:

I might not be able to watch baseball for a few years if he goes to the Cubs. Seriously. That would knock 5 more teams out of contention every year, joining the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Tampa Bay. However, considering that Texas signed him to his original FA deal, he could go just about any where, though the large markets have obvious advantages.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

For those who thinks Arod isnt worth it, look at his career closely. Notice that he's had 35+ HR/100+ RBI in 11 seasons, and 100+ Runs every year since 1996. He's basically a .300/.400/.600 hitter every single year. 30M is a lot, but think about all the bad contracts on mediocre players that just add up to wasted roster spots. 1 Player who will take up 1 Roster spot that is equal to 6 players in production is so much better for a team. It allows the team to use its prospects to build around the main players.
    THE REDS NEED A RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTER and Arod is perfect. He can play SS possibly, which might allow us to trade Agone for w/e.
    Think about it.... in 2009 we have a lineup of

Hamilton
    Votto
    Arod
    Dunn
    BP
    Bruce
    EE
    FA Catcher

Notice how left handed the lineup still is even with Arod... we NEED him

Then with a rotation of...

Harang
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Maloney?

That's a very respectable Rotation
    The owner says he wants to win... bumping up to 100M is a high amount, but it still would be 10th or so in baseball... It's not unreasonable

anyone find it funny how Boras announced it right during the end of the worldseries? He probably would of waited till Game 7 of the series if it went to seven games.
    Last edited by Goten; 10-29-2007 at 01:11 AM.

Turn Off Ads?