Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A-Rod opts out

Re: A-Rod opts out

Shocking that A-Rod had to make this decision on the last night of the World Series. I mean, who'd have thought he and Boras would try to piggyback on a national spotlight?

I'll be surprised if the Red Sox make much of a push for him. The Yankees say they're out. The two L.A. teams could get in the mix, but I don't think the Dodgers have the funds and the Angels supposedly love Brandon Wood (though from a baseball standpoint A-Rod makes absolute sense for that club).

The Cubs are probably the nominal favorite, but A-Rod would push them into heady payroll territory. If the Phillies are willing to play the "Hey, we're a big market too" game, they could get in the mix.

Personally I'd like to see him in San Francisco because it would make that club interesting and I think MLB needs an interesting club in San Francisco.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope he gets less then what he was going to make.
    that will never happen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope he gets less then what he was going to make.
    No way that happens. Boras has something else lined up or there's no way he opts out.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    that will never happen.
    It's a small hope
    Go Gators!

Why is everyone assuming he can only play 3B? I think he could probably still play an adequate SS and probably has more value there. If I'm the Angels, I make a push and play him there. Same for the Cubs.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Why is everyone assuming he can only play 3B? I think he could probably still play an adequate SS and probably has more value there. If I'm the Angels, I make a push and play him there. Same for the Cubs.
    same for the Giants or even the Red Sox.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd be shocked if he goes to the Red Sox -- I imagine they'd be much more inclined to pay less for Lowell to stick around and use the difference on improving other aspects of the club.

This situation should be interesting -- the 3/4 biggest markets bidding against themselves for the services of the best player in baseball.

The team that wins might ultimately lose when they realize how steep a price they paid.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    you think he would want to play in that place?
    They won't be in the place for very much longer, and I'm sure Boras will get opt outs clauses all over his new deal
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

For better or worse, right now one of the most exciting stories will be where ARod will play in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd be shocked if he goes to the Red Sox -- I imagine they'd be much more inclined to pay less for Lowell to stick around and use the difference on improving other aspects of the club.

This situation should be interesting -- the 3/4 biggest markets bidding against themselves for the services of the best player in baseball.

The team that wins might ultimately lose when they realize how steep a price they paid.
    I hear that logic, but if the Yankees aren't bidding the Red Sox are really the only team that can afford it. Besides all the money coming free this off-season, Manny's $20 Million will be off the books in a couple years and A-Rod's presence would ensure against a drop-off after Manny is gone. A-Rod's big deal won't push the Sox payroll into uncharted waters during any year of the deal and no other team can say that. Its just a matter of what the Sox want to do. I wonder if seeing how easy it might be for them to finance it, if the temption would kick in to secure a top offense beyond 2008 When Manny's contract is up (2009 if the option is exercised).

I'd think the Red Sox would probably want A-Rod simply to avoid facing the drop-off when Manny leaves or being forced to re-up him. A-Rod in Boston would provide enough offense to allow the Sox to walk away from Manny and his antics.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I'm with RMR, my money is on The Angels.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A-Rod in Boston would provide enough offense to allow the Sox to walk away from Manny and his antics.
    You know -- after all the years hearing "Manny Being Manny™" and whatnot, I'm convinced he's going to retire a Red Sox.

The chirping hasn't nearly been as loud this year either.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You know -- after all the years hearing "Manny Being Manny™" and whatnot, I'm convinced he's going to retire a Red Sox.

The chirping hasn't nearly been as loud this year either.
    Manny will be 36 in May. After 2008, the Sox may decide that $20 Million per year is too much for a 37 year old who couldn't play defense to begin with. At some point a choice between Manny and Ortiz needs to be made because there is only one DH spot. A-Rod on board with Ortiz and letting Manny go when the contract is up makes that pretty easy and the team won't miss a beat.

I just don't think it makes any sense to dismiss the Red Sox. A-Rod makes a lot of sense and the money is there. It doesn't make as much sense when you think of A-Rod as Lowell's replacement, but over the life of the deal he's really going to be Manny's replacement and then it makes a ton of sense.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm trying to figure out who needs him badly enough for him to opt out of that contract.

It should be very interesting. Regardless of what the Steinbrenners say, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back in New York.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm trying to figure out who needs him badly enough for him to opt out of that contract.

It should be very interesting. Regardless of what the Steinbrenners say, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back in New York.
    I'd add that for him to opt out now must mean that he is pretty confident that his name won't be appearing in the Mitchell report despite some rumors to the contrary.

The Yankee talk could just be a negotiating ploy. We'll see what happens.

Turn Off Ads?