Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Reds pursue Schilling or Glavine

Should Reds pursue Schilling or Glavine

Would you spend $10 million for each?

I would sign Schilling to a 2-year deal at $10 million per season. And I'd sign Glavine for 1 year at $10 million. It would solidy the rotation - Harang, Arroyo, Schilling, Glavine, Bailey and give Homer some veteran teachers to influence him and also give Cueto another year of development in the minors with Glavine signing a 1 year deal.

Just a crazy thought.

But we need a closer too.
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Reds pursue Schilling or Glavine

Neither one is coming to Cincinnati. Look for them to go to bigger ballparks and teams perceived to be closer to contention than the Reds.

Yea these guys are close to being done. It would make sense they would only want to play for a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by as_v_1 View Post
    Yea these guys are close to being done. It would make sense they would only want to play for a contender.

I can't see them even entertaining a Reds offer.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

haha good joke...

seriously why does cueto need another year of developement but bailey is ready? I think it is the other way around...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Bailey spent some time in Cincinnati, and Cueto only reached AAA. They both need another year of development if not 2 however.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

yes, but cueto did not miss serious time with an injury and therefore has more experience, albeit at lower levels...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I think Cueto is more refined at this point then Bailey and could be more effective next year than Bailey. As for the topic of this thread I think it would be smart for the Reds to go after Schilling with everything they have for a one year deal. But for him to seriously consider the reds we better be willing to go way over and beyond the other bets.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

when did cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    when did Cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.

Tradition doesn't equal wins on the field; a problem the reds have had for awhile now. Guys like Schilling aren't coming to a team thats rebuilding. They wanna pitch for teams that are going to be playing in October.

this team isn't far from playing in october, in my opinion. maybe i'm just a homer, but i think things are looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    when did cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.
    It's a crappy place to play because they don't win. The fans haven't been around for a while now because they haven't been winning. And on top of that this place is a tough place to be as a pitcher.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

harang doesn't seem to have problems, they just haven't had good pitchers in this stadium.

Nothing has changed - he'd still like a one-year deal from the Red Sox but failing that he wants to join a winner or play for a team with young pitchers to tutor. He mentions that "dollars will be a significant factor" if he leaves Boston.

We might be able to land Schilling but we would have to pay to do it.

yes no doubt about it

Turn Off Ads?