Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey for Ryan Freel

Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey for Ryan Freel

Thoma expects the Twins to fill this void by trading Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey, with the Mets, Rays, Reds, and D'Backs as possibilities. That seems to imply a deal for Lastings Milledge, Carlos Gomez, Rocco Baldelli, Ken Griffey Jr., or Carlos Gonzalez. Actually Griffey seems unlikely...Ryan Freel maybe? You tell me.

This most likely would be a low-profile move by Krivsky to upgrade the starting pitching. It is well known he likes to deal with the Twins,and I do not believe Ryan Freel is in the Reds future plans. Here are Bonser and Slowey's 2007 numbers:

Boof Bonser :31 g, 30 starts, 8-12, 173 IP, 199 hits, 27 hr, 65 walks, 136 strikeouts, 5.10 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .286 BAA.

Kevin Slowey: 13 games, 11 starts, 4-1, 66 2/3 IP, 82 hits, 16 hr, 11 walks, 47 strikeouts, 4.73 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .288 BAA.

Both of these pitchers are very young , and I would expect they would improve on the numbers in the future. They are both expected to be at the back end of the rotation for now, but we need to improve on that as well. I really see no downside to make a trade like this.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey for Ryan Freel

There is no way an overpaid player off an injury would net Bonser or Slowey. Unless, the Twins have the same infatuation with Reds player that the Reds have with Twins players.

no way haha

There was a point where i would have taken slowey for dunn

I'd love to see a deal like this to be made. It helps to relieve the glut of outfielders, as well as keeping the Shearns and Dumatraits of the world out of the rotation.

My problem is that I just can't see the Twins doing it. Why would they target Freel or Griffey when they could get a talent like Lastings Milledge?

Krisvky for GM of the Year if he pulls off Freel for either of those guys. The Twins do seem to have a lot of SP talent though, so either of the guys you mentioned might be good trade targets. Not happening for Freel though.

where is this rumor coming from?

I'd rather see the Reds pursue Nathan in a trade, I believe that a top flight closer is the # 1 need. Slowey or Bonser would be ok but lets get Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredfan#1 View Post
    I'd rather see the Reds pursue Nathan in a trade, I believe that a top flight closer is the # 1 need. Slowey or Bonser would be ok but lets get Nathan.
    Nathan has a team option this offseason. If they don't pick it up he will be a free agent. Maybe he would come here.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    where is this rumor coming from?
    Where else? Mlbtraderumors.com. Torri Hunter will be a free agent, and the Twins need to get an outfielder to replace him. I simply used Ryan Freel as an example, but there are several outfielders with the Reds who might suffice. The Twins have plenty of quality starters, and I would like very much if the Reds could swing this deal.

There is no way this is legit. The Twins are always looking to lower the payroll and Griffey doesn't help that situation. Freel will never pull a guy like Bonser in. If Krivsky pulls that I might become speechless.

It is legitimate(I think) that the Twins will need an outfielder with Hunter gone , and it is possible they will trade Bonser or Slowey to get that outfielder. We can only speculate on what the Twins would accept to make that happen. As for Nathan, the Twins exercised his $6 million option today.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 10-29-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It is legitimate(I think) that the Twins will need an outfielder with Hunter gone , and it is possible they will trade Bonser or Slowey to get that outfielder. We can only speculate on what the Twins would accept to make that happen. As for Nathan, the Twins exercised his $6 million option today.
    Its going to take Hamilton not Freel or Griffey to get either of these two pitchers.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

These guys hits to innings pitched ratios are awful.

I'll take Boof just because of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    These guys hits to innings pitched ratios are awful.
    They're also rookies. Homer Bailey's H/9 was atrocious, too.

Turn Off Ads?