Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

Re: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

And another thing. we keep talking about Bruce, and then Stubbs, and continue to omit Dan Dorn. This guy did Billings with Stubbs, skipped low A right to high A where he did Okay, got promoted to AA and turned it up several notches. Why does he stay under the radar? Am I missing some info?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Travis Wood. I predict he comes back healthy, dominates the FSL for a month or so, and then does much of the same in AA to claim the title of the next sweet Reds pitching prospect.
    Agreed. Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    And another thing. we keep talking about Bruce, and then Stubbs, and continue to omit Dan Dorn. This guy did Billings with Stubbs, skipped low A right to high A where he did Okay, got promoted to AA and turned it up several notches. Why does he stay under the radar? Am I missing some info?
    No. He's a good bet to be on everyone's radar mid way through this season.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

My obvious choice is Josh Roenicke, but you could argue that he already had his breakout year. If you don't count him, I think this is the year Justin Reed puts it all together. My sleeper picks include Carlos Mendez, Brandon Menchaca, Angel Cabrera, Jordan Wideman, and Juan Rafael.

Carlos Fisher was my man last year and I'm sticking with him. The board is a lot more aware of him now and maybe he no longer qualifies, but I expect him to get it together with an offseason to rest his arm, dominate AA for a few weeks, pitch well at AAA and at some point make an appearance in Cincy. He may end up as a pen guy or hopefully has the goods for a number 4 rotation spot, but I'm guessing he appears in Cincy by the end of 2008.

My second choice is way off the board and that is Ben Jukich. I've been critical of WK in the past, but he does have a scouting ability to find guys who are completely off the radar just before they are ready to step forward. Jared Burton is a good example. I think WK acquired Jukich for a reason and Jukich put together a pretty good run after a rocky start in the organization. Its possible (likely) that its just a guy with pedestrian stuff fooling younger hitters at a level that was low for his age, but I'm guessing WK knows something.

How is that for some faith in the GM from one of his critics?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Derrick Lutz is my Candidate and yes he is my adopted propsect so I am Bias but I just see him moving up fast.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Derrick Lutz is my Candidate and yes he is my adopted propsect so I am Bias but I just see him moving up fast.
    I don't think it makes you biased at all.... he is a real good pick. He could be a fast mover next season with success.

The player that I am hoping breaks out in a big way in 2008 is Devin Mesoraco, because he showed nothing at all in his first go-round. I understand that the first half season can be rough on players, but a .580 OPS is not exactly a confidence builder.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The player that I am hoping breaks out in a big way in 2008 is Devin Mesoraco, because he showed nothing at all in his first go-round. I understand that the first half season can be rough on players, but a .580 OPS is not exactly a confidence builder.
    Defensively the reports were very good on him. He also was hitting with two injured thumbs..... not the easiest thing to do. I just hope he shows up healthy in February.

I'll go with Luis Montano (over Justin Reed). Though I think Todd Frazier's the guy who's going to be grabbing the most headlines.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll go with Luis Montano (over Justin Reed). Though I think Todd Frazier's the guy who's going to be grabbing the most headlines.
    I just hope he isn't grabbing them in Dayton, although I fear that is what will happen.....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just hope he isn't grabbing them in Dayton, although I fear that is what will happen.....
    Trading Juan Francisco would certainly clear the deck for him and Waring.

My theory is if Frazier's bat is as ready-made as it seems, then he won't play at any level for too long.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Trading Juan Francisco would certainly clear the deck for him and Waring.

My theory is if Frazier's bat is as ready-made as it seems, then he won't play at any level for too long.
    Valid point. I just envision him starting in Dayton and not getting a promotion until they move Valaika up as well....

So if we all agree, and we probably all do, that the top four are Bruce, Bailey and Cueto with Votto 4, who in the Reds org. has the talent AND baseball IQ of these guys.

In other words, who is the next Bruce in the system, the next Votto, the next Bailey or Cueto?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

In other words, who is the next Bruce in the system, the next Votto, the next Bailey or Cueto?
    there's no uber-prospect-to-be on the horizon -- the current wave is rare

Turn Off Ads?