Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

Re: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So if we all agree, and we probably all do, that the top four are Bruce, Bailey and Cueto with Votto 4, who in the Reds org. has the talent AND baseball IQ of these guys.

In other words, who is the next Bruce in the system, the next Votto, the next Bailey or Cueto?
    If it all works out I'll go with Frazier on offense and Kyle Lotzkar on the mound. But those guys have a far way to go. The Reds have a number of pitchers with number 4 starter potential which is quite an improvement over the last 20 years, but no one in any level above rookie leagues that looks like a Bailey or Cueto. If Lotzkar's stuff is as advertised, its him. He gets my nod by default though I usually reserve judgement on guys who haven't at least had a year at Dayton.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

"In other words, who is the next Bruce in the system, the next Votto, the next Bailey or Cueto?"

I think the next Homer Bailey is Kyle Lotzkar. As for the rest, I don't think there is anyone with comparable skill sets. There are some players with really nice skill sets, IMO, but none that I would compare to these guys.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I will go with Billy Rojo........ This guy needs to go in the worst way to make room for the next stud IF of:

1B - M. McKennon
    2B - Z. Cozart
    SS - T. Frazier (His bat may play at A+ but his defense is YTBD)
    3B - B. Waring

Ok seriously my breakout player is:

Rubin Medina RHP 21 yrs- Chattanooga (I am assuming he plays here, we'll see)

It's a bit of a stretch but I like what I see in the #'s.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'll go with Sean Watson and Devin Mesoraco. Watson was dominate until he moved up. He'll dominate that league this year. Mesoraco had 2 bad thumbs and will prove to be worth his pick.

Like others already predicted, I, too, think Stubbs will be great next year.

I will watch Waring and Bartles, but still think the player to expect to pick up where he left off after moving up to AA is Dorn. Don't forget, he skipped Dayton going high A and ended up strong at AA. You could say that's like a 3 level jump in 1 season, ala Bruce. Truth is, it's great to be throwing all these guys out there. The future may well be extremely bright.

I'll go with Sean Watson and Devin Mesoraco. Watson was dominate until he moved up. He'll dominate that league this year. Mesoraco had 2 bad thumbs and will prove to be worth his pick.
    I like the Watson pick. I think he'll dominate Sarasota this time around. The mid 90's heater and filthy knuckle-curve give him plenty of upside as long as he keeps on developing his command and secondary stuff.

My pick is Daryl Thompson, another year awaay from surgery will help him. Needs to cut down on the HR's though. Second choice is Carlos Guevara though my fear is that he will breakout in some other MLB team's pen.
    Last edited by klw; 11-06-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?