Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edgar Renteria traded to Tigers

Edgar Renteria traded to Tigers

The first big deal of the offseason is an interesting one.

From rotoworld:

Tigers acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Braves for RHP Jair Jurrjens and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

That was remarkably quick. That Renteria is being dealt is no surprise, and it figured that the Tigers would be high on the list of suitors. However, we don't see wht the Braves felt they had to make the move today when better offers could have come later. This simply isn't a great return for a player who was one of the best in the NL last season. Renteria hit .332/.390/.470 in 2007, and he's under control for a very reasonable $20 million over two years (the second year is at Detroit's option). The Tigers did quite well to get him now. It'll certainly head off any Alex Rodriguez speculation.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edgar Renteria traded to Tigers

I think they return is excellent. Jurrjens and Hernandez may not be "household" prospect names, but they've done nothing but perform and advance, and the Tigers have a solid systemsince DD took over the helm there.

I dont think rotoworld is giving the braves enough credit.

Stats to Jurrjens: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=4606'

Stats to Hernandez: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=4918

Hernandez hit .293/.344/.371 and 54 steals as a 19-year-old for low Single-A West Michigan last season. He has more long-term upside than fellow center-field prospect Jordan Schafer in Atlanta, though he is further away.
    Thats good upside, as Jordan Schafer is an excellent prospect.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 10-29-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Fire up the stove boys, the trades are gonna be big this year with the weak free agent market.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Was Carlos Guillen maimed and I didn't hear about it? Why do the Tigers need him?
    Suck it up cupcake.

They'll probably move Guillen over to 1st, which as I understand is what they've been thinkining of doing for quite somet time now.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Braves freeing up lots of dough. Escobar and Lillibridge are lined up at SS, so this is a pretty nice prospect haul given people have to know the Braves are overloaded at the position. They'll bring in one of the big CFs, I'm sure.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Braves freeing up lots of dough. Escobar and Lillibridge are lined up at SS, so this is a pretty nice prospect haul given people have to know the Braves are overloaded at the position. They'll bring in one of the big CFs, I'm sure.
    They can have Griffey!

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    They'll probably move Guillen over to 1st, which as I understand is what they've been thinkining of doing for quite somet time now.
    I just found this on espn.com:

CHICAGO -- Detroit's Carlos Guillen will shift from shortstop to first base next season.
    Tigers manager Jim Leyland spoke with Guillen about the change on Wednesday.
    "It's OK," Guillen said before Friday night's game against the White Sox. "I don't have any problems. I want to help this team get better. We were in the World Series last year, and I want to bring us back."
    Leyland said the team was making the move with Guillen's health in mind.
    "Shortstop is a very stressful place anyway, and for a guy that's knees are roughed up pretty good, it's even more stressful," Leyland said.
    Guillen has been on the disabled list five times since 1999 and has played more than 140 games only once in his career. He agreed in March to a $48 million, four-year contract extension through 2011.
    "I think the biggest thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that I'll have him on the field all the time," Leyland said. "I think it will be a lot less stressful for him. You want to take care of your investments, and I think it's a perfect spot."
    Suck it up cupcake.

they are ready to turn over SS to Escobar. Good move by the Braves and the Tigers. It looks to make both teams better. The Braves have to upgrade their starting pitching.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

One Reds killer out of the league.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I called it! My next prediction: ARod will make lots of money over the next few years.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    One Reds killer out of the league.
    Not if M2 gets his way
    Go Gators!

BA had Jurrjens rated the #6 prospect in the Eastern League this season.

What does this mean for Sean Casey? Renteria certainly fits in with the thirtysomething offense that team has assembled.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    BA had Jurrjens rated the #6 prospect in the Eastern League this season.

What does this mean for Sean Casey? Renteria certainly fits in with the thirtysomething offense that team has assembled.
    Sean Casey to the big apple for a Mr. D. Williams - LHP.

Scouting report simply states: Soft tossing junkballer

-Hunter S. Thompson

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Guillen has been scheduled to go to 1B since towards the end of the season. That .850 OPS sure looks much nicer at SS, but when your 1B hit like SS anways, I guess it's still a net gain for them.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?