Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girardi to manage Yanks

Girardi to manage Yanks

I think this is a poor decision by the Steinbrenner boys.

Especially bad decision considering how Girardi treated his vets at Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Girardi to manage Yanks

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think this is a poor decision by the Steinbrenner boys.

Especially bad decision considering how Girardi treated his vets at Florida.
    I wasnt aware he had any

I'm not convinced on Girardi. Someone once pointed out to me that he was in an easy situation in Florida. If they won, he's great but if they lose, that's what every one expected. I wonder how the New Yorkers will treat him. I think his pressure will be much higher than Torre's.

What was wrong with Don Mattingly?

not surprised at all.

I don't think it is that bad of a choice.

His main problem was with owners/upper management/etc. and that is a non issue with Steinbrenners involved. No way does he have the you know what to 'back talk' good ole George.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I don't think it is that bad of a choice.

His main problem was with owners/upper management/etc. and that is a non issue with Steinbrenners involved. No way does he have the you know what to 'back talk' good ole George.
    If he can manage to have a good working relationship with the owners I think he will work out ok. Thats a big if thou, Florida isn't anything like New York, so it could just as easily blow up. Makes for good drama for an interesting 2008 season.

Will Paul O'Neill be his bench coach?

So now we know both Torre and Mattingly will be heading to LA. It may very well be that the Steinbrenners have made a mistake by creating an alternative to NY. It will be interesting to see if any of the Yankee free agents head to the the new NY in the West(LA).

How crazy/funny would it be if they signed all 4? (Pay-Rod, Rivera, Posada, and Pettite)
    Last edited by WMR; 10-30-2007 at 04:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Girardi calls his shots as he sees them. It doesn't matter if you are a veteran or not. If you don't hustle or do it right, he lets you know. He is very strong in player development. He lost his Florida job because he told Loria to keep his mouth shut. He establishes clear goals and makes his expectations know. What more could any player ask for?

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

gee, tough situation for Girardi, having to work with a $200 million payroll...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

In NY there won't be an owner sitting in the stands yelling at the umpire... in fact there might not be an owner at the game, so disagreements can remain private, even with all the extra scrutiny. The problem will come from the writers who are used to access, and Girardi won't give them as much... and he will read the papers and give them less for writing poorly about him. This is one city where the press really skews how the public sees the team... that will be Girardi's landmine here.

He may have a $200million payroll, but you are also following a guy who had that who got fired for not getting far enough into the playoffs. Thats a bit of pressure. Mattingly doesn't know it, but he is lucky.

As an avowed Yankee hater, this move really scares me. Add a manager who is young, hungry, talented and knows how to win, to all of that talent and all those resourses, well its not a pretty picture. This is the smartest move the Yankees have made in a long time. This organization needed a kick in the butt and Girardi will give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Add a manager who is young, hungry, talented and knows how to win.......
    I keep hearing these types of comments about Girardi, but am confused on where it's coming from. He's only managed one season and had a losing record. How does that equate to he "knows how to win?"

I see it as a mistake, but only time will tell.

Turn Off Ads?