Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM...or not

  1. #1
    One Man Army
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    440

    Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM...or not

    Via Bernie Miklasz out of St. Louis.

    Link

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    See, this is why St. Louis is such a great organization. They just do things right there.

    Oh what it must be like to have one well run organization in the Queen City.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  4. #3
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,841

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Damn it. How come the Reds can never get a guy like that?

  5. #4
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Damn it. How come the Reds can never get a guy like that?
    they could have. They wanted Krivsky. I think Jocketty was a great GM, but St. Louis has as organization that recognizes that times are changing and they better change with it. So they go out and get probably the best GM candidate out there prepared to be a GM in modern day baseball. The Reds are more interested in moving backwards in time instead of forward. I've always been envious of the Cardinals organization and not I'm even moreso.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  6. #5
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    See, this is why St. Louis is such a great organization. They just do things right there.

    Oh what it must be like to have one well run organization in the Queen City.
    You know MWM, I just got back from Cleveland and I really have to laugh because everyone I talked to there thinks Shapiro is a moron because he let Brandon Phillips go for nothing. Sometimes I wonder if any fan is truly happy with their teams management.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  7. #6
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    If I remember correctly the Reds also asked to interview Antonelli and he turned them down.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  8. #7
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You know MWM, I just got back from Cleveland and I really have to laugh because everyone I talked to there thinks Shapiro is a moron because he let Brandon Phillips go for nothing. Sometimes I wonder if any fan is truly happy with their teams management.
    Well, there are idiots anywhere you go. I wouldn't know what to say to a fan who thinks Shapiro hasn't worked wonders in Cleveland. BP was never going to thrive in Cleveland.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  9. #8
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    they could have. They wanted Krivsky. I think Jocketty was a great GM, but St. Louis has as organization that recognizes that times are changing and they better change with it. So they go out and get probably the best GM candidate out there prepared to be a GM in modern day baseball. The Reds are more interested in moving backwards in time instead of forward. I've always been envious of the Cardinals organization and not I'm even moreso.
    For a second, I thought Falls City Beer wrote that.

    But in all seriousness, this is a wonderful move by the Cards. They "get it". The Reds wish it was still 1976.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  10. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,336

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If I remember correctly the Reds also asked to interview Antonelli and he turned them down.
    Yep, can't fault an organization for getting rejected before they could make an offer.

  11. #10
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If I remember correctly the Reds also asked to interview Antonelli and he turned them down.
    Honsetly, and I'm not trying to be a downer here, but that almost makes my opinion of him go up. He was waiting for the right job to open up and I think he knew Cincy wasn't the type of organization at the top who knew what it took to succeed in the 21st century in MLB. I think he probably accurately sniffed out the Reds as an organization.

    These types of decisions are why the Cardinals never o through prolonged periods of losing. They "get it."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  12. #11
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, can't fault an organization for getting rejected before they could make an offer.
    True.

    Could also be a sign of how the Reds a perceived in some circles.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  13. #12
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,604

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Could also be a sign of how the Reds a perceived in some circles.
    Is it 1976 yet?

    Ahh..paint beat me to it.
    Go Gators!

  14. #13
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, can't fault an organization for getting rejected before they could make an offer.
    That depends on his reasoning for turning them down. It's not a good sign when a erfectly qualified candidate isn't interested in one of only 30 jobs in the world like it, when they aren't open very often.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  15. #14
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    True.

    Could also be a sign of how the Reds a perceived in some circles.
    Exactamundo!!!!!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  16. #15
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,896

    Re: Rumor: Antonetti New Cards GM

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If I remember correctly the Reds also asked to interview Antonelli and he turned them down.
    That's what I heard. I think Antonetti realized that the culture in Cincy would be inimical to his working habits.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25