Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brewers cut ties with Geoff Jenkins

Brewers cut ties with Geoff Jenkins

By COLIN FLY
    AP Sports Writer
    MILWAUKEE (AP) — The Milwaukee Brewers will decline a $9 million option for left fielder Geoff Jenkins, his agent said Tuesday.
    “We’ve been verbally told by the Milwaukee Brewers that they chose to decline Geoff’s option for the 2008 season,” agent Damon Lapa said. “We’re still awaiting formal written confirmation.”
    Jenkins, drafted by the Brewers in first round in 1995, had played his entire career for Milwaukee and had been the longest tenured veteran on the team.
    He slumped badly the past two seasons, and hit .255 with 21 homers and 64 RBIs this year.
    Lapa said he spoke with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin on Monday, and he indicated Jenkins would no longer be a part of the team.
    “Based on the free agent landscape, there’s very few left-handed power hitters on the market this season,” Lapa said. “As far as corner outfielders with left-handed pop, scarcity is obviously a thing that generally benefits the player.”
    Jenkins, 33, earned a $1 million buyout after reaching certain thresholds for plate appearances. He hit 212 homers with the Brewers, the second-most in history behind Robin Yount’s 251.
    The move wasn’t a surprise, and Jenkins received a warm ovation from fans on the last game of the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brewers cut ties with Geoff Jenkins

I wish they'd cut ties with Bill Hall.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Maybe they'll be cursed now, and no good.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

wonder if the Reds will decline some options?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I wonder who the "left handed power hitters" that are available are. I hope one of them isn't a certain masher whose name rhymes with "Madam Bunn".
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

You mean the man who Bat'em Tunn?

If it is we're so Un-Dunn! :thumbdown

Sayonara, we Had'em Funn!

---'Roser

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    By COLIN FLY
    AP Sports Writer
    MILWAUKEE (AP) — The Milwaukee Brewers will decline a $9 million option for left fielder Geoff Jenkins, his agent said Tuesday.
    “We’ve been verbally told by the Milwaukee Brewers that they chose to decline Geoff’s option for the 2008 season,” agent Damon Lapa said. “We’re still awaiting formal written confirmation.”
    Jenkins, drafted by the Brewers in first round in 1995, had played his entire career for Milwaukee and had been the longest tenured veteran on the team.
    He slumped badly the past two seasons, and hit .255 with 21 homers and 64 RBIs this year.
    Lapa said he spoke with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin on Monday, and he indicated Jenkins would no longer be a part of the team.
    “Based on the free agent landscape, there’s very few left-handed power hitters on the market this season,” Lapa said. “As far as corner outfielders with left-handed pop, scarcity is obviously a thing that generally benefits the player.”
    Jenkins, 33, earned a $1 million buyout after reaching certain thresholds for plate appearances. He hit 212 homers with the Brewers, the second-most in history behind Robin Yount’s 251.
    The move wasn’t a surprise, and Jenkins received a warm ovation from fans on the last game of the season.
    Wow, $9 Mil to keep Geoff Jenkins?

No-brainer by the Brew Crew to decline that option.

I have a feeling they'll try and bring him back at a cheaper contract.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Ryan Braun (and all of his errors) off third base and into left field.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?