Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curt Schilling

Curt Schilling

Don't ask me how or why, but I'm starting to get this gut feeling the Reds may offer him a one year deal in the $12-$14 million range. He did just write goodbye letters to his RedSox mates, and he's on record saying he just wants a one-year deal.

I'm not saying I would agree or disagree with the move, but I could see it happening. Reds want to take a chance that adding him to Harang and Arroyo could produce a Division championship without committing any big money to the long term. They could move Griffey to clear up the payroll room for it, or keep Griffey and just pony up the extra cash. Plus, with Griffey gone, I'm sure Dusty would love his "veteran presence."

What would you think about this?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Curt Schilling

no.

BTW, I expect him to go to Philly.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I think he'll go back to Arizona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He's on record as saying he wants either the chance to win another WS or, absent that, a chance to mentor a young staff.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He's on record as saying he wants either the chance to win another WS or, absent that, a chance to mentor a young staff.
    I think Harang-Arroyo-Bailey/Cueto/Belisle would qualify as a young staff.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't know how much he has left but I would welcome his as a red for next season. The guys stuff isn't what it used to be but he knows how to pitch. Give me a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Schilling, and throw in anyone else and I think you have a chance to compete in the NL Central.

I couldn't see Dusty/Schilling working out.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Schilling would never work out here. He's too outspoken.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think Harang-Arroyo-Bailey/Cueto/Belisle would qualify as a young staff.
    Harang and Arroyo are pretty much veterans by this point.
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

For that matter, Belisle is only young in terms of number of starts.... 27 years old and 160 games as a pitcher in the major leagues.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Schilling would never work out here. He's too outspoken.
    Yet he's conservative as hell, so I'm sure Cincinnatians would eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yes, he would have been very comfortable at the Montgomery Inn last night. But if he could pitch one good year, teach our youngsters (and young vets) to pitch better, I can such up his politics for a year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's not like the Cincinnati media is so harsh they wouldn't be able to deal with him. He'd have his run of the place because no media member would stand up to the 'bully' that he is.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I could care less if he's from the Cannibal party, so long as he can still pitch and is willing to bust ass to win. What guys do or who they vote for off the field I don't give a rats patoot about. I'm tired of losing.

I don't want scrappy, I don't want 'hard workers' I don't want blue collar, I don't want the lunch pail gang....I want people who want to win.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I could care less if he's from the Cannibal party, so long as he can still pitch and is willing to bust ass to win. What guys do or who they vote for off the field I don't give a rats patoot about. I'm tired of losing.

I don't want scrappy, I don't want 'hard workers' I don't want blue collar, I don't want the lunch pail gang....I want people who want to win.
    Let me change that last sentence to fit my style:

I don't want scrappy, I don't want 'hard workers', I don't want blue collar, I don't want the lunch pail gang....I want people who are able to win.

The idea that there are people out there in professional sports who don't want to win, or don't care about winning, strikes me as silly. That said, I couldn't care less how passionate you are about winning if you aren't productive. And if you are reliably productive, I don't really care about the strength of your desire.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?