Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Cincinnati

Moving to Cincinnati

I graduated from college last may, and have worked in my college town since, and I'm considering a move to a major city. I've been to the Queen City many, many times, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who lives there as to what they think of it.

Thanks!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving to Cincinnati

I just moved here back in August but I love it.

I like Cincinnati. The west side isn't a bad area of town. Once you get up on the hill over there, there are some really nice neighborhoods. Granted, Cincinnati does have it's share of bad neighborhoods though.

What university did you go to?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Great town for a lot of reasons, awful place for a lot of reasons. But that's what you can expect from a major metropolitan area. I grew up there and I miss the old neighborhoods within the city limits. A lot. It takes moving away from Cincinnati to truly appreciate the abundance of places to choose that are great locations to live and raise a family.

I cannot speak to the employment opportunities, but I can vouch for the livability of my hometown. For a person just getting out of college and being (I assume) unattached and childless, Cincinnati offers several great places to live. I went to college at UC and lived/owned property in Clifton for about a decade. I absolutely loved living in that part of the city; it's convenient to everything, it has a vibrant intellectual culture (UC/XU), it has wonderful homes for renters and owners and it is absolutely walkable.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    What university did you go to?
    I graduated from Virginia Tech in May of last year. I'm not sure I want to move to Cinci, but I AM sure that I want to live in an urban area at least once in my life (I'm from the country), and Cincinnati is the urban area I've frequented with the most regularity, having attended a Reds game every summer of my existence (usually more). That, combined with the fact that I figure moving to the city makes more sense now, rather than later, I'm trying to get firsthand info about as many places as I can. Thanks!

Perhaps it would help if you further clarified what we're looking for--we could tell you if you'll find it in Cincinnati or not.

If you're looking for the whole urban experience, Cincinnati definitely isn't the first place I'd consider. I'd call Cincinnati a big city that caters to people who aren't fond of big cities. However, if you're on a modest budget, I'd say it's worth considering. If you've narrowed your choices down to Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Cincinnati, I'd go with Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is a "major" city?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Cincinnati is a "major" city?
    Small market.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Perhaps it would help if you further clarified what we're looking for--we could tell you if you'll find it in Cincinnati or not.

If you're looking for the whole urban experience, Cincinnati definitely isn't the first place I'd consider. I'd call Cincinnati a big city that caters to people who aren't fond of big cities. However, if you're on a modest budget, I'd say it's worth considering. If you've narrowed your choices down to Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Cincinnati, I'd go with Cincinnati.
    I agree with you that Cincinnati is a big city but doesn't have the big city feel. It isn't a big city at all considering the downtown area isn't that big. It does have its areas like Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, Mt Adams in which you can walk to where ever you want to go. If you looking for city in which you can take full advantage of a mass transit system this is not the place to come.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I agree with you that Cincinnati is a big city but doesn't have the big city feel. It isn't a big city at all considering the downtown area isn't that big. It does have its areas like Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, Mt Adams in which you can walk to where ever you want to go. If you looking for city in which you can take full advantage of a mass transit system this is not the place to come.
    But there's that great streetcar thing coming soon, right?

It's a big city, admit it. Unfortunately, it's like so many other big cities in that the downtown and city areas have suffered at the expense of migration to the suburbs. After all, Atlanta is a big city, and it's mass transit is abysmal. I would argue that you can have a relatively accurate urban experience if you live with in the city limits in Cincinnati; the transit system may not be on rails, but I found it adequate.

Is it like DC, San Fransisco, New York or Chicago? Heck no. But it's also about a third as expensive to live in Cincinnati. I think it's a nice alternative to those choices.

To go further on what SunDeck said, Cincinnati is probably the cheapest big city you could move. The cost of living here isn't bad at all. Here's a link where you can compare cost of living in cities:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'm not sure what your income level will be, but Mt. Adams is the perfect spot for someone fresh out of school. You can walk to downtown and the nightlife is some of the best in the city.

If worked in Cincy, I'd live there. Sadly, the Dayton area doesn't offer nearly as much for young professionals.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'm not sure what your income level will be, but Mt. Adams is the perfect spot for someone fresh out of school. You can walk to downtown and the nightlife is some of the best in the city.

If worked in Cincy, I'd live there. Sadly, the Dayton area doesn't offer nearly as much for young professionals.
    Mmm...Mount Adams. It always seemed like a great place to live, but I couldn't touch the real estate prices there. Heck, the city even built a walkway over I-71 to accommodate the PG suits who wanted to walk to work.

I tell people that Cincinnati is a small "big" city.

It has most of the big city things you want, but not as huge as a NYC/LA/Chicago/Dallas/etc. A nice and fairly economical place to live if you like the midwest style of living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Urban_Clusters
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I miss living in Cincinnati every day since I moved back here to the Columbus area.

Turn Off Ads?