Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD Dvd player

HD Dvd player

With some recent talk about HD tv's and wether should buy a HD or Blue Ray player I thought this news might get some interest.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...il-Driven/1129

Wal mart is also selling these units, but figured more people would rather go to Kmart.

Anyway these are HD players for under $200 while they do not go to 1080p they will go 720p and look really sharp. I believe AVS has a review up on their site, haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I understand it received a good review.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HD Dvd player

you may as well flush your money down the toilet before you buy an hddvd player. it wont be around much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue View Post
    you may as well flush your money down the toilet before you buy an hddvd player. it wont be around much longer.
    If you are referring to the battle between blue ray and hd, then perhaps. That thought did cross my mind while reading this, but for one it's not a for sure thing yet and two I didn't say I bought the device. It was just something I saw while doing some reading and I know there has been some talk here among folks on which to get if any at one time so I thought I would share what I saw.

Also if you had cared to read the specifications on the player before commenting you would have noticed that it is also a scaler device meaning it will play standard dvd's up to 720p. Somehting to keep in mind if you have a large standard dvd collection already. The quality of the player is very nice for the price.

No need to worry that HDDVD will go away, both formats will survive.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    No need to worry that HDDVD will go away, both formats will survive.
    Exactly. I was thinking about this tonight, in fact.

We are living in such a tech-crazy culture, there is enough of a market out there for both of these players to survive. Furthermore, each player has enough studios in their respective "corners" to survive this "war."

Wal-Mart is going to selling an HD DVD player this Friday for $98.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/walmart110107.htm

3 Time CY Young winner

Will an HD Dvd player upconvert a regular movie that is not in HD format. I have an upconvert player now and I think it does a pretty good job but I have been wanting an HD player.

Quote Originally Posted by roundboy22 View Post
    Will an HD Dvd player upconvert a regular movie that is not in HD format. I have an upconvert player now and I think it does a pretty good job but I have been wanting an HD player.
    Yes it will upconvert all regular DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Wal-Mart is going to selling an HD DVD player this Friday for $98.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/walmart110107.htm
    I hope this "format war" never ends. Both camps are literally giving stuff away in order to hook the consumer. A $98.00 HD-DVD player (even if it only outputs 1080i) is enough to get me to go format-neutral. Add in the five free HD-DVD offer located here:

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....page=techspecs

That's like getting the player for free. I've also heard that Sears will be selling the Toshiba HD-A3 for $169.00 on Black Friday. I've seen that model at Best Buy and it comes packaged with two HD-DVD's (one being "300").
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I just purchased a pretty nice HD 1080i television.

I found out something after I purchased it. Direct TV, Dish, or my local cable, only sends the signal in 720i. I have Dish network. The local channels are only in analog. I put up an outside antenna, and now I receive all the network channels and some other cool channels in 1080i...for free.

My local CBS station still only sends it out to me in 720i....but still pretty nice. 1080i on NBC is unbelievable.

We are still at the mercy of our providers(cable, direct tv, etc) If they don't send the signal in 1080i, it does not matter.

I won't buy a blue ray until you can rent the vast majority of new releases in "blue ray disc." Right now at my movie dvd store just a few are offered in blue-ray.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

No 1080p?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Exactly. I was thinking about this tonight, in fact.

We are living in such a tech-crazy culture, there is enough of a market out there for both of these players to survive. Furthermore, each player has enough studios in their respective "corners" to survive this "war."
    HDDVD has 2 studios, Blu has 5. Blu is also outselling hddvd's 2 to 1 in the states and more then that worldwide. HDDVD didn't even outsell blu ray movies the week of the transformers HDDVD exclusive release. HDDVD will be gone by next christmas.

Wal-Mart was probably sold out for you this morning. But you can get it at Best Buy Business shipped to you....

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...tID=BB10724640
    for $99.99 and use coupon code: SURV7DAYS for 10 percent off. You will have to pay shipping however.

ALSO REBATE: http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bo...freeHDDVDs.pdf

Well that was easy. I showed up to one of my local Wal-Marts at 8:05 AM and the parking lot was nearly empty. Walked in and grabbed one from a palatte that still had about 15-20 units. Two other guys did the same, but there was no rush or scrambling for product.

Watching Transformers high-def goodness right now. The wife will be grumpy considering the amount of tech I've purchased over the last couple of months, but at a price point of $98.00 I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I had class this morning and by the time I got there Wal-Mart was out. Circuit City is selling them online right now for 129.99. They even have the A3 for 199.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

Turn Off Ads?