Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fielding Bible Awards

Fielding Bible Awards

Folks, the true fielding awards are out. The Fielding Bible awards are now released for this year.

If you really want to see who is the best fielder at their position, look at where the "BIS Video Scouts" rank each player. The video scouts were the ones who saw each one of those players play numerous games. The BIS scouts include about 10 guys, who charted or scored between 350 and 450 games this year. They have a much better read of it than any individual.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/

If you go to "voting" at the menu bar, 4th row down on the drop down you can get the complete rankings. Brandon Phillips finished 3rd overall, 2nd by the video scouts, behind Aaron Hill, who is by far the most underrated 2B in history. Probably because he plays in Canada. Maybe he won't be so underrated anymore though.

David Ross just missed the top 10 for catchers.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 11-01-2007 at 05:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fielding Bible Awards

In the Plus/Minus ratings, Adam Dunn was -29, second worst among left fielders. Interestingly, Ken Griffey Jr was not listed (which means he was listed somewhere between -9 and +5). Brandon Phillips came in at +11 at second, Hatteberg was -10 (5th worst), Edwin was not listed (which means he was between -18 and +6). No other Reds were listed.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 11-01-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Austin Kearns tied for second in RF.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Austin Kearns tied for second in RF.
    I attribute that to lack of good RF'ers in general. That group, and the LF'ers are impossible to rank 1-10.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I attribute that to lack of good RF'ers in general. That group, and the LF'ers are impossible to rank 1-10.
    Position scarcity in RF?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The plus/minus system is far from perfect, but I think you should read about how its calculated before you assume that.

The system is far from perfect, but I think it is the best system available to judge defensive value.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    The plus/minus system is far from perfect, but I think you should read about how its calculated before you assume that.
    I got it down pretty good. I'm not saying Kearns is a bad fielder, I'm just saying if I were picking the top 5 RF'ers to bring out there on defense with me, I could find others.

Rios
    Francoeur
    Hart
    Markakis
    Kearns/Ethier/Victorino find there way in this next group.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The system is far from perfect, but I think it is the best system available to judge defensive value.
    The only girl at the dance is always the prettiest girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except that the FB +/- system isn't even close to being the only system out there.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except that the FB +/- system isn't even close to being the only system out there.
    Aren't the other systems just cross-dressing males?

Aren't the other systems just cross-dressing males?
    not all of them.

Folks, the true fielding awards are out. The Fielding Bible awards are now released for this year.

If you really want to see who is the best fielder at their position, look at where the "BIS Video Scouts" rank each player. The video scouts were the ones who saw each one of those players play numerous games. The BIS scouts include about 10 guys, who charted or scored between 350 and 450 games this year. They have a much better read of it than any individual.

If you go to "voting" at the menu bar, 4th row down on the drop down you can get the complete rankings. Brandon Phillips finished 3rd overall, 2nd by the video scouts, behind Aaron Hill, who is by far the most underrated 2B in history. Probably because he plays in Canada. Maybe he won't be so underrated anymore though.

I think the Jays have the best defense in the AL by far, when they're healthy. I'd put their starters 1st at several positions(2B, SS, RF, 1B) and above average just about everywhere.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

But it doesn't mean she is necessarily pretty.

Thanks for sharing. And I do agree with you about the value of the video scouts.

Just to be clear though--the criteria that the voters used probably includes more than just +/-. The voters probably considered other position-specific responsibilities, like baserunning kills for OF and bunt fielding for 3B, among others. Those responsibilities are not specifically covered in the +/- system, although they are addressed in the book.

Coco Crisp wasn't so hot at the plate in 2007, but he had a nice season in the field (+22). With the emergence of Ellsbury, I imagine that the Red Sox will be looking to deal Coco (and a box of Count Chocula, for good measure) this offseason. Crisp would probably come quite cheap, in terms of talent, if not necessarily in dollars ($4.75M in 08, $5.75M in 09, $8M in 10 with a $500k buyout). Moreover, his power might return in a HR-friendly park like the GABP.

Might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by D-Man; 11-02-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?