Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zumaya injured during California fires out until midseason

Zumaya injured during California fires out until midseason

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090054

DETROIT -- With the California wildfires closing in on his parents' house, Joel Zumaya went up to the attic and tried to salvage a few things for his father.

Moments later, his 2008 season was in jeopardy.

A heavy box fell on top of the Detroit Tigers reliever, injuring his pitching shoulder and forcing him to have major surgery Wednesday in San Diego. He is expected to be sidelined until midseason.

"You think he'll be back, but I can't 100 percent count on that," Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said Thursday. "We can't count on that contribution this year. We have to plan our staff without him being there."

The Tigers hoped to re-sign closer Todd Jones, with the understanding that he might lose his job later in the season to Zumaya. If they weren't able to bring back the free agent, Zumaya had a shot to be Detroit's closer.

"Now, we can't count on that," Dombrowski said. "If it's not Todd, we have to be aggressive to find somebody to pitch on the back end."

An e-mail seeking comment was sent to Jones.

Zumaya is being told to rest his shoulder for six weeks and refrain from a throwing program until March.

His 100 mph fastballs helped the Tigers reach the 2006 World Series, and the giant flame tattoos on both his arms helped make him a star in the Motor City.

He told the Tigers he was injured while moving personal items Sunday.

"He said a box fell on his shoulder," Dombrowski said. "The fires were approximately 2 miles from his home, where he lives with his parents, and his dad has a broken leg and wanted some items from the attic.

"He reached up to grab one box and a heavy one on top of it fell directly on his shoulder.

"At first, he didn't think it was that bad," Dombrowski added. "But the pain became more and more and that's when Mr. Zumaya said, 'We have to call the Tigers.'"

Zumaya was limited to 28 games this year because of surgery on a tendon in his middle finger. He was 2-3 with a 4.28 ERA and the Tigers went 88-74, finishing second in the AL Central.

As a rookie in 2006, Zumaya was a big reason the Tigers won the AL pennant for the first time in more than two decades. He was 6-3 with a 1.94 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 62 appearances.

Detroit acquired All-Star shortstop Edgar Renteria earlier this week, filling a pressing need -- only to find out soon after it had another void.

"My jubilation turned into a lot of concern," Dombrowski said.

The pitcher was downtrodden, too.

"He must've apologized, in a five-minute conversation, 25 times," Dombrowski said.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Zumaya injured during California fires out until midseason

Are we sure he wasn't washing his car?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Are we sure he wasn't washing his car?
    Are we sure he wasn't playing Guitar Hero II?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Are we sure he wasn't playing Guitar Hero II?
    He apologized about 25 times over a five-minute conversation--that's a lot of guilt for someone who was supposedly trying to save some belongings from a fire. I think he was playing Guitar Hero II.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I hate to be skeptical, but I'm skeptical.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He apologized about 25 times over a five-minute conversation--that's a lot of guilt for someone who was supposedly trying to save some belongings from a fire. I think he was playing Guitar Hero II.
    Not Guitar Hero II, remeber III came out recently!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Just heard a rumor that he was seen riding 4 wheelers recently and wrecked.... Jeff Kent says hi.

I'll give the kid thebenefit. After all if he WAS hurt in that attic then its something anyone would have been doing in the circumstances. If it comes out diff later, he looks like a giant ass. For now I accept he was a young man trying to help his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Not Guitar Hero II, remeber III came out recently!
    True that. When Rock Star comes out, I fear for his life.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?