Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guardado Files For Free Agency...

Re: Guardado Files For Free Agency...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    Hopper.. Bruce.. Hamilton.. Votto if needed.. and Griffey for another year.. this team has plenty of DEFENSIVE OF'rs.. I know girff aint what he once was.. but hs is still better than Dunn.. we need to get away from the mindset that if we mash the ball we will win.. in this park anyone can mash the ball.. soo go after a defensive player and he will mash 15-20 homers at least.. instead we keep trying to unload with Homers.. hasn't worked for 10 years.. soo lets try 10 more...
    Thanks for adding some impressive insight into this thread about Eddie Guardado.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    Hopper.. Bruce.. Hamilton.. Votto if needed.. and Griffey for another year.. this team has plenty of DEFENSIVE OF'rs.. I know girff aint what he once was.. but hs is still better than Dunn.. we need to get away from the mindset that if we mash the ball we will win.. in this park anyone can mash the ball.. soo go after a defensive player and he will mash 15-20 homers at least.. instead we keep trying to unload with Homers.. hasn't worked for 10 years.. soo lets try 10 more...
    Why just let him go?

MLBTR readers were more or less unanimously in favor of Dunn's return. 40 homers at $13MM seems a no-brainer to me. He's a patient hitter and the Reds' most potent bat. At that price, if the Reds do intend to deal him they will find ample value.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    are you really that naive to judge over 7 innings? give me a break. he was terrible this year.
    Are you really that naive to consider only the impact of his first few lousy appearances after Tommy John surgery and disregard his last seven where he got his velocity and movement back? His first few appearances are meaningless under these circumstances. I just hope other teams look at the overall stats like you have so we can get him back with a good incentive laden contract.

Quote Originally Posted by demas863 View Post
    Are you really that naive to consider only the impact of his first few lousy appearances after Tommy John surgery and disregard his last seven where he got his velocity and movement back? His first few appearances are meaningless under these circumstances. I just hope other teams look at the overall stats like you have so we can get him back with a good incentive laden contract.
    Maybe he could earn an extra 500k, if he is willing to become Edwin's late inning defensive replacement. Could that seal the deal? Seriously though, even if he has an ok season, the money and time given to him would just be another attempt to patch a gaping hole by the FO. If they were serious about contending they would A.) spend the money to bring in better players or B.) start saving money on stopgap free agents and continue to invest in top prospects and player devolepment.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    He is only doing what he feels are in his best interests. I can't see how you can criticize him for that.

I'm still holding out hope that he can't find a better deal anywhere else and the Reds can bring him back, although I think it's a very slim possibility. He looked pretty tough towards the end of the season once he got some innings under his belt.
    I do agree, and I like Eddie and hope he's back, but I would also hope (and maybe this is my naive side that doesnt have the opportunity to get filthy rich playing a game that I currently pay money to play) that he would see the Reds have been loyal to him, stuck by him, and gave him a lot of money while he couldnt even play, and would say "you know what, I owe you guys, name your price, I will sign and I will see you in spring training.....

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I do agree, and I like Eddie and hope he's back, but I would also hope (and maybe this is my naive side that doesnt have the opportunity to get filthy rich playing a game that I currently pay money to play) that he would see the Reds have been loyal to him, stuck by him, and gave him a lot of money while he couldnt even play, and would say "you know what, I owe you guys, name your price, I will sign and I will see you in spring training.....
    That would be ok, but it sounds like your describing Kerry Wood.

^ Hows that, he has never been a Red, we havent been loyal to him, and he doesnt owe us anyhting? Did he do that in Chicago (Im not familiar with it)?

are you really that naive to judge over 7 innings? give me a break. he was terrible this year.
    Yeah, and you're only judging him on the stretch right after he came back, which was basically his spring training. He had been off for almost a year. Once he got his arm and legs in game shape, he was pretty tough.

Im not 100% sure but I thought that was how it was made out last season when he signed a one year contract and moved to the bullpen

Yeah, and you're only judging him on the stretch right after he came back, which was basically his spring training. He had been off for almost a year. Once he got his arm and legs in game shape, he was pretty tough.

whatever, he's past his prime, and would be a more of the same, which is why the reds haven't made it to the playoffs since 1995, what was he hitting on the radar gun when his velocity came back? 88? i doubt if it was even that high. You guys will see the light eventually, but i hope the front office isn't the same way, because if they are, we'll have to see another crappy season.

whatever, he's past his prime, and would be a more of the same, which is why the reds haven't made it to the playoffs since 1995, what was he hitting on the radar gun when his velocity came back? 88? i doubt if it was even that high. You guys will see the light eventually, but i hope the front office isn't the same way, because if they are, we'll have to see another crappy season.
    He was consistantly ptiching at 90 during those last 7 innings pitched, which is pretty much where he was before the surgery.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/709270346/
    Last edited by jimbo; 11-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Yeah, he certainly looked "done" giving up 0 runs and only 2 hits in his last 7 innings pitched of the season.
    Seven whole innings! Woo-Hoo! He didn't look done when they traded for him either, but he fried out quickly.

He was consistantly ptiching at 90 during those last 7 innings pitched, which is pretty much where he was before the surgery.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/709270346/
    If the Reds are ever going to win anything, they are going to have to set their sights higher than Eddie G. It's time to raise the payroll and quit signing over-the-hill has-beens. get some guys in here who can pitch and are not eligible for social security!

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Seven whole innings! Woo-Hoo! He didn't look done when they traded for him either, but he fried out quickly.
    That's a good 3 weeks of work for a reliever. Talk about tunnel vision. You have to look at the overall picture here. The guy was off for almost a year after Tommy John surgery, had a tough time starting back up but once he got his location down and his leg and arm strength back, he was very effective. Good relievers don't just go on trees, and there's been plenty of pitchers come back strong from that surgery. You have to take a chance on a guy like this from time to time, especially if you can get him back here cheap.

How many of you were calling for Weathers DFA early in the season of 2006? I remember many Reds fans wanting him gone at that time, just because of his age and a slow start.

That's a good 3 weeks of work for a reliever. Talk about tunnel vision. You have to look at the overall picture here. The guy was off for almost a year after Tommy John surgery, had a tough time starting back up but once he got his location down and his leg and arm strength back, he was very effective. Good relievers don't just go on trees, and there's been plenty of pitchers come back strong from that surgery. You have to take a chance on a guy like this from time to time, especially if you can get him back here cheap.

How many of you were calling for Weathers DFA early in the season of 2006? I remember many Reds fans wanting him gone at that time, just because of his age and a slow start.
    Jimbo: Are you willing to pay almost 4 million dollars to get that chance? I think it could be better spent elsewhere. Evidently, the Reds think so too.
    Last edited by roby; 11-02-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: poor typing skills!

Turn Off Ads?