Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Thread

Re: NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    How 'bout my Pacers?
    I like the Pacers, but I don't think I will ever forgive them for dumping James White.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Charles Barkley said it best, "I am more excited for this NBA season than I have been for any season since I was playing. There are NO weak teams. There are no 'gimmes.' This will be a great season of NBA basketball."
    I guess the Kings didn't get that memo about the gimmies the other night when they played the Spurs at Arco. That game was not much of a challenge for the champs, who are now 3-0.

The Kings are indicative of what the local NBA beat writers have been saying about most of the teams in the West... that this looks to be a down year for them. Some examples: Kobe's machinations are keeping the Lakers from making progress. Players in Dallas are said to be tiring of Avery Johnson's intensity. The Clippers may have peaked. Greg Oden's injury will keep Portland from moving up the ladder.

The beat writers here only seem to be saying good things about Houston... namely that they're finally surrounding Yao with some quality guys who compliment him.

On another note, if I was a Cavs fan, I'd be worried about how that team will do without Varejao.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 11-03-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    /r/reds

I think it is hilarious that they haven't signed Varejeo. I hope he sits the year out, and then ends up getting 1/4th of what he is asking for. You don't give ten million to high energy hustle players with no actual talent.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I think it is hilarious that they haven't signed Varejeo. I hope he sits the year out, and then ends up getting 1/4th of what he is asking for. You don't give ten million to high energy hustle players with no actual talent.
    I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Varejeo is a great rebounder - especially on the offensive boards. The ability to get 2nd and 3rd chances is really demoralizing to the other team. Is he worth 10 million? Probly not. But he still has plenty of value and is very important to the Cavs title hopes.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-04-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: butchered the last sentence

He is a little under 6-6 player.

Good guy to have off the bench, no doubt. Important to their team because they really don't have alot of depth.

I'd give him 3-4 million at the most.

I would give Andy up to the $7 mil that the Cavs are offering. He is actually one of the most important players on the Cavs roster. The cavs can not keep playing Z and Gooden 37+ min a game, and D. Jones 2 is not a quality option. Along with Snow, Andy is one of the only good defenders on the Cavs roster. You might think that he flops on every play, and he does flop, but check the stats he is a top flight defender. and he is only 25.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I've been a Spurs fan ever since they joined the NBA, that was 76/77. I was able to pick up WOAI in San Antonio at night and listened to The Iceman, Larry Kenon, James Silas, et al on many cold Iowa winter nights. I'm not as dedicated as I have been to the Reds but the Spurs recent success has eased my Reds pain a little.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I've been an NBA fan as long as I've been a Reds fan (which is a long time).

I stopped being a passionate fan when the Royals moved to KC/Omaha, but I like to watch the pro game. The quality of play in the NBA has made a comeback in the last 3-5 years (after the rules makers made thuggery difficult) and is a fun game to watch again.

The Celtics looks like a nice story but lets see where they are at injury- and energy-wise next spring. I think the Cavs are in for a tough season. I can't see the Lakers trading Kobe but he needs to be, both for him and the team. And the NBA champ will come from out west again. I love to watch the Mavs, Spurs, Suns, and Rockets all go at it. Fun teams to watch and they play great basketball.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Call me crazy, but I think the Nets might be the team to beat in the East, particularly if Krstic is healthy. I think Richard Jefferson may be the NBA MVP at the end of the season.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Mavs win a tough one against the Rockets. Diop and JET stepped up huge last night.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think the Nets might be the team to beat in the East, particularly if Krstic is healthy. I think Richard Jefferson may be the NBA MVP at the end of the season.
    You're crazy!

The Nets are old (Kidd), unmotivated (Carter) and injury prone (RJ and Krstic).

They have already lost to Toronto by 37 this season.

The Nets will be lucky to make the play-offs.

If injuries go easy on the Nets, they are a good team. The past few years they haven't won anything major mainly because of having the Collins' as their center. They picked up Magloire who I'd say is about average, which is a huge upgrade. And didn't they draft Sean Williams, or am I mistaken?

Jamal Magloire is one of those guys that people think is good while he is actually awful. In 3 games thus far he is averaging 2.7 points and 2.7 rebounds. I wouldn't exactly call it a huge upgrade.

What adjective would you use if they signed Dwight Howard to replace Collins? Now that would be a HUGE upgrade.

In fact Collins remains on the team and is getting more time than Magloire. Obviously Lawerence Frank doesn't see what you and others see in Magloire.

Hmm.. maybe I am overrating Magloire. Then again, I am a huge UK fan Small sample size though... It's kinda weird that Collins is receiving more PT, as he is one of the worst centers in the league IMO.

Yeah it is a small sample size but Magloire wasn't very good last year either. His best season was 03-04 and he has been going backwards in the major stat categories ever since. Based on his trends he is bound to average less than 6 points and 4 rebound this season.

Turn Off Ads?