Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Thread

NBA Thread

I'll tell you... I'm normally fairly ambivalent when it comes to the NBA... this season, however, I am absolutely fascinated by the Boston Celtics.

Watching their season opening destruction of the Wizards tonight was, in complete honesty, perhaps the most entertaining and fun-to-watch NBA regular season game that I have ever seen. At least I can't think of one that I enjoyed more off-hand.

Posey didn't even play tonight. He will make some HUGE contributions this year for the Celtics.

Rondo was AMAZING. There's a reason Tubby Smith tracked "deflections" while he was at UK and why Rondo holds the single-season UK steals record...

And Kevin Garnett... what a classy guy. He insisted that Paul Pierce be the last one introduced for the game tonight. He prefers to schedule media interviews with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce along with him. There is absolutely NO chance of this team disintegrating or having poisonous chemistry. Garnett simply won't allow it.

He bought out an entire pre-screening of American Gangster as a team-bonding trip.

Charles Barkley said it best, "I am more excited for this NBA season than I have been for any season since I was playing. There are NO weak teams. There are no 'gimmes.' This will be a great season of NBA basketball."

I am just as stoked as Sir Charles.

Does anyone have a team that they absolutely love to death or have followed for a long time? I know Ed is a Cavaliers man.

I'm pulling for the Celtics to win the Championship.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-03-2007 at 06:49 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: NBA Thread

I started out as a Hornets fan, I loved Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues back in the day. Then when they moved to New Orleans I got kind of mad at the team(I don't know why, I'm not from there) and opened my heart to the Cavs, since it was easier to follow them. I'd say I follow both of them pretty evenly now(even though I normally don't like when people claim multiple teams in a sport).

Anyways, I agree with Chuck, this should be a pretty fun season to watch.

I think the Celtics are a very entertaining team as well, but I pray to God that they don't win a championship. Nothing against them, but that would make the World Series, Superbowl (my crystal ball told me so), and NBA Title all belonging to Boston.

As for there being no gimme teams according to Chuck, Atlanta is finally not going to be terrible this year? What about the Knicks, Kings, and Grizzlies?

Guess you didn't see Atlanta beat Dallas last night?

I guess his point was that while there are still a few "below average" teams, the overall talent has become much more evenly dispersed (between the Eastern and Western Conferences as well ... the Eastern Conference is no longer a doormat for the West).

Yeah, somehow I manage to despise the SAWKS and Videotapers while not allowing that to poison rooting for the Celtics.

I'm a Nets man, but I really don't love the team. I mean I really like the franchise and whatnot, but as much as I try Carter, Kidd, and Jefferson don't make my heart flutter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm a Nets man, but I really don't love the team. I mean I really like the franchise and whatnot, but as much as I try Carter, Kidd, and Jefferson don't make my heart flutter.
    Nenad is a player.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

As for there being no gimme teams according to Chuck, Atlanta is finally not going to be terrible this year? What about the Knicks, Kings, and Grizzlies?
    Atlanta has a really good young team, I have them just missing out on the playoffs in my rankings( Shameless Plug )

The Kings are going to be absolutely awful with Mike Bibby out for most the season. The T-Wolves and Sonics were thought to be pretty bad, but they look like they'll be competitive as they each have some pretty good young players. Knicks are a mess as an organization, but they can pull out a win on any given night.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Nenad is a player.
    Nenad's pretty rocking, but I honestly haven't been able to completely forgive him for his awful play in the 06 playoffs.

Bostjan Nachbar 4 life.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nenad's pretty rocking, but I honestly haven't been able to completely forgive him for his awful play in the 06 playoffs.

Bostjan Nachbar 4 life.

Where in Jersey do you live, Tom?

Do you go to any games?

OT: Have you been to Yankee Stadium?

I did! My Hawks might finally be coming to life. There's a lot of interesting young talent down there, although after years and years of high picks there should be by now. They actually could make a run at the #8 seed in the east this year.

Where in Jersey do you live, Tom?

Do you go to any games?

OT: Have you been to Yankee Stadium?
    I'm in Northern NJ, right next to Hackensack. I haven't been to a Nets game in a while, but I'd like to catch a few games this season if possible.

I have been to Yankee Stadium. I'd rather be able to go to the Great American Ball Park though.

Have you ever been to a game at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel
    Atlanta has a really good young team, I have them just missing out on the playoffs in my rankings
    Fair enough. I really did mean my post as a question rather than the shot at Barkley's statement that it came across. I like to see bad teams/franchises finally become good. Lord knows that as a Bengals and Reds fan I can identify with the fanbases.

Speaking of, I'll admit I've jumped on the Cavs bandwagon. Although, in my defense it started during last year's preseason as my old roomate got me interested (he follows them like we follow the Reds, which is to say religiously). Rooting for and watching LeBron James is one of the most entertaining experiences I've had watching sports - and it makes for a good drinking game as well .

How 'bout my Pacers?

Turn Off Ads?