Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Thread

Re: NBA Thread

MaineRed, you'll attract a lot more bees with honey than you will with vinegar.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

For one, I never said I didn't like them.

I said you are starting to make me hate them. You are like the energizer homerism bunny, you never stop, do you? You will have an essay to write as a rebuttal to this statement. I've watched plenty of games. I even watched a few last year when they blatantly cheated/tanked. The Celtics really don't concern me much, but I am a fan of the NBA so I know their team. I love the big three story, it's good for the sport. They have a bad bench, it is a well known fact all across the nation, which is why it is well reported to the media as their "down fall".

This ticks you off, I get that. However, I'm not going to just read all this BS about how the Celtics have a good bench. It's not true. Then you change it and start saying that they have a sad bench, but so does everybody else. It doesn't make sense.

And what are you talking about superstar players getting hurt? You're throwing clouds around everything I've said. I basically said if there are any injuries even to guys like Posey/Scalabrine (otherwise low impact players) they would be really hurting.

Go Pats!
    Go Celtics!
    Go Red Sox!

I forgot no one was allowed to criticize any Boston sports. Seriously, if criticism as low as a team's depth/bench is the worst thing you hear about your team, you are in pretty decent shape. Also, you don't play on the team as far as I know, so stop taking it so personally. I haven't "made up" anything here either.

I'm basically done here as far as Celtics talk goes. I guess I should have avoided mr. confrontation on non baseball side. Jeez.

The Celtics are kicking ass and taking names!

Garnett played 30 minutes tonight in their destruction of the Nets.

TeamSelig, lets be clear you are using a lot less than facts to back up your opinions and it is obvious you don't like to be called on information that you create in your own mind. It is a myth that Boston has a sad bench and they have proved it 7 times to open the season. Even tonight without the guy that has been their best option off the pine they still won by 22.

And since yo are such a big fan you might be interested to know that Jamal Magloire was once again a non factor. The funny thing is Jason Collins, the Nets starter, a guy Magloire ca't beat out has scored a grand total of 2 points this season. Kendrick Perkins the guy you have determined shouldn't be in the league had 10 points, 8 board and 4 blocks TONIGHT. If Perkins isn't a starter what is Collins? That is two teams who need starting centers and you appear to be the only guy who knows where to find them.

You have justified that Kendrick Perkins doesn't belong starting because he started for Boston last year when they tanked? Al Jeffersons started too and he was traded to Minny for KG and just signed a 65 million dollar contract. Does he not deserve to be starting? And if they were tanking wouldn't that mean guys are actually better than they let on last season?

Its not that I don't want you to have an opinion of your own but the reasoning given for such opinions is so far out of whack that it is impossible to not respond. The fact that Boston's best players got hurt last year and made the season a waste about 20 games in hardly means the guys that were on the team don't belong in the starting line-up.

You've seen some of these guys play a couple of times (the Celtics had NO national TV games last year) and you are the one acting like you are a member of the team. You casually mention that Tony Allen will never be good enough to start? Well he started for a Celtics play-off team a couple of years ago. Last year he started a bunch of games and at times was the Celtics best player (with Piere out) including a big stretch of high scoring games leading up to his injury. Once he gets fully healthy there are very few teams Tony Allen couldn't start for. His defense makes him ideal alongside a high scoring wing player.

BTW I am neither a Red Sox fan or a Patriots fan so you can save your New England digs for someone else . I would think it would be rather obvious that I am a Reds fan and not a Red Sox fan. But I would hardly expect someone who still thinks Jamal Maglore is good to be able to figure that out.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 11-15-2007 at 12:04 AM.

Some rumors on NBATV about talks between LA and Detroit.

To Lakers: Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson

To Pistons: Kobe

Some reports saying the trade was made but that Kobe veteoed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Some rumors on NBATV about talks between LA and Detroit.

To Lakers: Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson

To Pistons: Kobe

Some reports saying the trade was made but that Kobe veteoed it.
    I'm surprised that the Pistons would give up their "team" philosophy to bring in Kobe. But still, that would be a hard deal to turn down for Detroit.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

OK Maine. zZzzZz. I might read your post later. Probably not, this argument is very boring and tiring.

gO cElTiCs!

Went to the Clippers/Knicks game last night. I got Clippers season tickets this year and decided that I'll try to become a Clippers fan. It was a good game. Both of these teams have no shot at competing against the top teams in the league, but everyone knew that already. Clippers are really missing Brand. They have no inside presense and Kaman can't guard big guys. Randolph and Curry were knocking him all over the place.

Nets coach Lawrence Frank is the only unfortunate soul whose team has had to play the Celtics twice this season. (Pat Riley will be the next.) Frank had an interesting take on this year's Boston team, which has twice beaten New Jersey, including last Wednesday's 21-point victory in which the Celtics didn't play all that well. "They have a real good karma about them," Frank said. "You have really special players with chips on their shoulders. When you have really special players who are motivated and who are coming together for one reason, that's a dangerous combination. Their supporting cast is a whole lot better than the prognosticators predicted. [Eddie ] House and [James ] Posey can make shots. Scal [Brian Scalabrine] brings the energy. [Rajon] Rondo and [Kendrick] Perkins are underrated. And Big Baby [Glen Davis] is going to get a max deal just based on what he did to us."
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...stairs/?page=4

MaineRed, you will hear criticism about the celts bench ad infinitum, because on paper, they don't have names that impress people.
    In my opinion, a good bench features a scoring option, a low post threat, 2 F/C bodies to bang on and tire out the opposition's low post threat, and at least 2 good outside shooters - to make open shots and keep the scoring margin close until the starters return.
    (all this is assuming you start at least decent defenders at the 2 and 3 spots and 5 spot- if you cannot, you need defenders off the bench to fill those roles)
    My opinion - the Celts bench is adequate for the East, but if you compare it to the benches in the West, it is below-par. But what team has 3 main options like the Celts?

Very few benches have a low post threat. The good teams out west don't have one.

The Celtics have the shooters. Eddie House is a sniper. James Posey can shoot it well.

They have 4 bangers. Scalabrine is not going to post any stats but he can play D just fine. He is not a good rebounder though. Pollard is a pure banger. Nothing more. Big Baby can bang and it is the same thing Leon Powe is known for.

These guys are a solid group of defenders. Throw in Tony Allen who can do a little of everything, including score in bunches (he averaged 11.5 PPG last year) and these guys are adequate as you say. I think that is a long way from SAD, which is what I was saying. My point isn't that they are good. But it depends on what your standards are. If you are considering what the typical NBA bench consist of, I think they are fine. Nobody has all the options on their bench that you listed. The good teams have benches that can D well enough to make up for their offensive liablities. Nobody has a Kevin McHale or Dennis Rodman on their bench these days. Take away Jason Terry and Manu Ginobili and it is hard to find many guys the typical NBA fan would consider good.

Based on tonight's game you got 18 points from the bench. The celtics coach apparently didn't get your memo. And moreover, KG looked helpless against Dwight Howard. Still, I'd take 8 of 9 all year long.

Well Orlando only got 14 points from their bench and they won. Speaking of bad benches, odd that nobody is criticizing the Magic bench. It currently consist of Trevor Ariza, Carlos Arroyo and Keyon Dooling. No post player, no real defenders and nobody that can really shoot the ball. This is my beef. No critism of Orlando. Or anyone else.

Dwight Howard makes most people look silly. He is the best post player in basketball and it isn't close. There isn't anyone in the league built to stop Howard nor is there anyone who should be trying to go at Howard. He is one of the top 5 players in the game, an absolute stud. He is the new Shaq, an unstoppable force.

Boston was leading the Knicks 41-82 to start the 4th quarter tonight.

Turn Off Ads?