Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Day for College Football

Re: Great Day for College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The National Championship pairing will be interesting this year. In addition to the scenario you listed above, how about Ohio State? What if they lose to Michigan and there are no major undefeated teams? My bet is there will be a lot of clamouring out of our state capital that OSU should be given a spot in the NC game even though they didn't even win their conference. It could happen.

OSU's problem would be their schedule. People are just chomping at the bit to knock them down in the polls if they lose because of their soft schedule. If they lose to Michigan and teams like LSU and Oregon stay at 1 loss, OSU gets rated below those teams and maybe a couple more. Then their only hope is if LSU loses in the SEC title game and/or Oregon State beats Oregon and then maybe they can sneak past one of those teams. But the soft schedule is doing them no favors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ohio State would have zero chance unless two of either Oregon, LSU, and Oklahoma have 2 losses.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

In addition to the soft schedule, it's better to lose 1 game early in the season than late.

Lose that one game late and you get knocked down several slots in the polls and no time left to make it up.

Frankly speaking, even as a die-hard OSU fan, I'd put a 1 loss Buckeyes down around the bottom of the top 10.

And as a Buckeye fan with the vision of a 2005 Vince Young beating OSU at the Shoe, Dennis Dixon scares the pee out of me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

OSU's weakness of schedule has been overblown in my opinion. As of today, Sagarin has them at #63 in SOS with each week getting a little better. Games vs. Illinois and Michigan will take it up into the 50's or 40's.

Oklahoma and Kansas are worse at #72 and #104 SOS respectively. West Virginia (#61), Missouri (#53), and B.C. (#44) are also not too great of the 1-loss teams in terms of SOS.

Oregon and LSU have a great SOS at #13 and #12 respectively.

So, if OSU lost a close one to Michigan, they would need LSU to lose in the SEC championship (to Tennessee or Georgia). In the Big 12, they just need Oklahoma to lose at Texas Tech in a couple weeks and for Missouri to beat Kansas or have a 2-loss Oklahoma beat Kansas in the Big 12 championship.

I don't think WVU, even with 1-loss, passes OSU if OSU loses close to Michigan. The computers don't like WVU. Frankly, I see them going down in two weeks at UC anyway. I think it's probable that BC and ASU lose again, but even if they don't I don't think either passes OSU (if OSU loses close to UM).

That would leave OSU and Oregon. Oregon is the one team, from here on out, that I see winning out with no problem. They have at Arizona, at UCLA, and Oregon State left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Ohio State would have zero chance unless two of either Oregon, LSU, and Oklahoma have 2 losses.
    After making my post, I saw this.

You are correct, but I think LSU losing once more (SEC championship?) and OU going down once more as the only obstacles and I think they are both very possible.

Hell, before it's all said and done, we may need Kansas to be the spoiler and beat OU in the Big 12 championship. Why? I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas goes down this weekend to Oklahoma State.

Perfect scenario:

1. Kansas loses to Ok. State this weekend.
    2. Oklahoma loses at Texas Tech next week.
    3. LSU loses in SEC championship to Tennessee or Georgia.

4. Oklahoma (with 2 losses) beats either Missouri/Kansas winner in Big 12 championship (for insurance).
    5. BC loses at Clemson next week or once more (for insurance).
    6. WVU loses at UC next week or once more (for insurance).
    7. ASU loses at UCLA this weekend or once more (for insurance).

Even if this scenario plays out OSU would be golden to play Oregon for the title. The only 2-loss team that could possible be a problem is Georgia. Yes, that's right, Georgia.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 11-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    After making my post, I saw this.

You are correct, but I think LSU losing once more (SEC championship?) and OU going down once more as the only obstacles and I think they are both very possible.

Hell, before it's all said and done, we may need Kansas to be the spoiler and beat OU in the Big 12 championship. Why? I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas goes down this weekend to Oklahoma State.

Perfect scenario:

1. Kansas loses to Ok. State this weekend.
    2. Oklahoma loses at Texas Tech next week.
    3. LSU loses in SEC championship to Tennessee or Georgia.

4. Oklahoma (with 2 losses) beats either Missouri/Kansas winner in Big 12 championship (for insurance).
    5. BC loses at Clemson next week or once more (for insurance).
    6. WVU loses at UC next week or once more (for insurance).
    7. ASU loses at UCLA this weekend or once more (for insurance).

Even if this scenario plays out OSU would be golden to play Oregon for the title. The only 2-loss team that could possible be a problem is Georgia. Yes, that's right, Georgia.
    Nah. A perfect scenario would be for Ohio State and Kansas to both win out and meet for the national championship. Having only two undefeated teams from BCS conferences pretty much answers the "who belongs in the title game" question. Hawaii would get the shaft, but they can sit on the beach in January and drown their sorrows in pina coladas and poy.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 11-05-2007 at 03:06 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nah. A perfect scenario would be for Ohio State and Kansas to both win out and meet for the national championship. Having only two undefeated teams from BCS conferences pretty much answers the "who belongs in the title game" question. Hawaii would get the shaft, but they can sit on the beach in January and drown their sorrows in pina coladas and poy.
    My perfect scenario was a selfish one. It's just looking out for OSU. But, with that said, I would love for them both to win out. I'm just worried that your Kansas would get the shaft if Oregon or LSU don't lose again.

Those Jayhawks certainly put a whooping on Lincoln.

Hawaii (if they win out) will get a BCS bid and get blown out.

OK, my question was answered. Apparently a few of you are OK with a team in the National Championship game that did not win its conference. I for one am a little leery about a team getting one of two bids for the National Championship game if they didn't even win their own conference.

I'm only okay with it if it's "my" team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, my question was answered. Apparently a few of you are OK with a team in the National Championship game that did not win its conference. I for one am a little leery about a team getting one of two bids for the National Championship game if they didn't even win their own conference.
    I think they have to win the regular season title. If its a conference that has a championship game I think they could potentially lose that and still play for the NC if the rest of their body of work was really good and there wasn't another good option.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think they have to win the regular season title. If its a conference that has a championship game I think they could potentially lose that and still play for the NC if the rest of their body of work was really good and there wasn't another good option.

I think that if you lose the conference championship game, you can't play for the BCS championship no matter how good your record is.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm just worried that your Kansas would get the shaft if Oregon or LSU don't lose again.
    I'm not worried, because in order for KU to actually make it to that point, they would have to beat two top-ranked opponents in the last two games of the season. An accomplishment like that would be pretty much undeniable if the BCS wanted to retain any illusion of legitimacy.

Of course, we're still a long way from that even being an issue.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    USC hasn't figured out which RB to play. Other than Stewart what starting RB in the Pac Ten is NFL caliber? He should be dominating with the spread offense and Dixon taking so much pressure away.

And I never questioned Stewart was a great back. This debate was McFadden against Stewart and I don't think many people would think it's as close as some on this thread.
    Unfortunately, Pete is favoring the vets over the younger, talent back at SC. Chauncey Washington is a decent back, but Stafon Johnson should be the starter. Stafon has Heisman potential. He's been incredible this year when given the chance.

As for NFL caliber backs in the Pac-10:

Ryan Torain from ASU would have been a probable second round pick until he injured his foot. Louis Rankin and Yvenson Bernard will probably be late round picks. The list does fall off after Stafon and Stewart this year, but the Pac-10 has produced some great backs in the last five years: Reggie Bush, LenDale White, and Justin Fargas from USC. Marshawn Lynch and JJ Arrington (backup for the Cardinals) from Cal, Stephen Jackson from Oregon State, and Onterrio Smith from Oregon.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    and/or Oregon State beats Oregon and then maybe they can sneak past
    Bite your tongue. The game's in Eugene. The road team hasn't won a Civil War in forever and the Ducks won't be lacking motivation
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think that if you lose the conference championship game, you can't play for the BCS championship no matter how good your record is.
    Yes you can. Don't think you SHOULD be able to, but you can.

Okla did

Turn Off Ads?