Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 156

Thread: Great Day for College Football

  1. #61
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Yes you can. Don't think you SHOULD be able to, but you can.

    Okla did

    But I think that's exactly why and when they changed it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But I think that's exactly why and when they changed it.
    I think the SEC and Big 12 both are pathetic for their conference title games.

    I can understand people bashing the Big 10 for their network, but at least that doesn't effect play. I guess it worked last year for Florida though. Got them past Michigan and gave them two extra weeks. Maybe the Big Ten should lose all integrity and get a pointless conference championship game.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  4. #63
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think the SEC and Big 12 both are pathetic for their conference title games.

    I can understand people bashing the Big 10 for their network, but at least that doesn't effect play. I guess it worked last year for Florida though. Got them past Michigan and gave them two extra weeks. Maybe the Big Ten should lose all integrity and get a pointless conference championship game.

    I think either all of them should have them or none of them should. I prefer to see the title won through conference play and not a winner take all game. Although it's easier when you're the Big 10 and can play about every conference opponent except one or two.

    A conference title game can help or hurt a team's cause. LSU is a perfect example. They are sitting pretty at #2 and if they lose the SEC championship game, they have 2 losses and no shot at the BCS championship. Or, like Florida did last year, they could vault another team for the right to play in the BCS championship.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  5. #64
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    The conference championship games are all about money, nothing else.

    It took a long time for the Big Ten to come around with a conference basketball tournament. They'll be slow to go the championship game route as well but they'll get there. They'll need a 12th team first.

  6. #65
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think the SEC and Big 12 both are pathetic for their conference title games.

    I can understand people bashing the Big 10 for their network, but at least that doesn't effect play. I guess it worked last year for Florida though. Got them past Michigan and gave them two extra weeks. Maybe the Big Ten should lose all integrity and get a pointless conference championship game.
    The Big 12 is a split conference, and the teams don't all play each other. They have to have a conference title game to decide the champion, otherwise the unbalanced schedule becomes too much of a factor.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #66
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The conference championship games are all about money, nothing else.

    It took a long time for the Big Ten to come around with a conference basketball tournament. They'll be slow to go the championship game route as well but they'll get there. They'll need a 12th team first.
    Basketball and Football conference championships are completly different. Basketball doesn't have quite the significance that Football does.

    As a poster above mentioned it is strictly about money. It really isn't about the teams benefiting as much as the universities.

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not worried, because in order for KU to actually make it to that point, they would have to beat two top-ranked opponents in the last two games of the season. An accomplishment like that would be pretty much undeniable if the BCS wanted to retain any illusion of legitimacy.
    So you think if Kansas wins their last two games and the title game ends up being Ohio State and LSU or Oregon that the BCS is no longer legitimate?

    Kansas has played nobody this season. At least nobody who is currently recieving votes in the AP poll. And even Troy is getting a vote in the AP poll. LSU has gone 5-1 against teams who are getting votes. Sorry, but to me that is more impressive than being 0-0 against such teams. And one win over Missouri isn't going to solve that issue.

    And if we get that far and both teams win their conference championship game, a win over OU for Kansas is not going to be THAT much more impressive than a win for LSU over Georgia or Florida.

    So it suprises me that you think a win over Missouri is going to make up for this awful schedule which is ranked 104th right now, right in front of Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic.

    Kansas can prove they aren't a fraud. We really have no way of knowing at this point since they have been playing the JV teams schedule. But I still don't think they can lay claim to having as impressive of a season as LSU or Oregon or Ohio State if none of those teams loses another game.

    Being in the SEC, nobody should be surprised that LSU has a loss. And looking at KU's schedule, nobody should be surprised that they don't.

    I think a one loss OU or a one loss Mizzou could lay more claim to a title game shot than undefeated Kansas. I don't think you get bonus points for going undefeated without considering SOS.

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Kansas is the perfect example of why you need championship games.

    They avoid both OU and Texas during the regular season. They shouldn't win the league over a one loss Texas or OU team if they don't play them. You can't declare a conference champion from regular play if all the teams aren't playing each other IMO. Especially when you aren't playing two or more of the teams. Too unbalanced.

    Plus conference title games mean teams don't have to sit around for two months like Ohio State had to do last year and will have to do again this year.

    I can't be against additional college football games that matter. The Big 10 and Pac 10 need to catch up with the rest of the world.

  10. #69
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    So you think if Kansas wins their last two games and the title game ends up being Ohio State and LSU or Oregon that the BCS is no longer legitimate?

    Kansas has played nobody this season. At least nobody who is currently recieving votes in the AP poll. And even Troy is getting a vote in the AP poll. LSU has gone 5-1 against teams who are getting votes. Sorry, but to me that is more impressive than being 0-0 against such teams. And one win over Missouri isn't going to solve that issue.

    And if we get that far and both teams win their conference championship game, a win over OU for Kansas is not going to be THAT much more impressive than a win for LSU over Georgia or Florida.

    So it suprises me that you think a win over Missouri is going to make up for this awful schedule which is ranked 104th right now, right in front of Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic.

    Kansas can prove they aren't a fraud. We really have no way of knowing at this point since they have been playing the JV teams schedule. But I still don't think they can lay claim to having as impressive of a season as LSU or Oregon or Ohio State if none of those teams loses another game.

    Being in the SEC, nobody should be surprised that LSU has a loss. And looking at KU's schedule, nobody should be surprised that they don't.

    I think a one loss OU or a one loss Mizzou could lay more claim to a title game shot than undefeated Kansas. I don't think you get bonus points for going undefeated without considering SOS.
    You don't think beating the #5 and #6 teams in the country in succession to end the season would lend enough legitimacy to Kansas? Because that's what they'd have to do to remain unbeaten. My guess is that two such victories would vault them up to #2 in the BCS, regardless of their early season weakness of schedule.

    The idea that a one-loss OU or MU having more claim to the title than Kansas is absolutely moot, because those things simply can't happen. If Kansas remains undefeated, both OU and MU will have two losses. If either OU or MU finishes the season with 1 loss, then KU will have 1 loss as well and thus will be out of the running.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  11. #70
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,350

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You don't think beating the #5 and #6 teams in the country in succession to end the season would lend enough legitimacy to Kansas? Because that's what they'd have to do to remain unbeaten. My guess is that two such victories would vault them up to #2 in the BCS, regardless of their early season weakness of schedule.
    Johnny, I don't see how this is possible. You know how the pollsters feel about the SEC (LSU) and the flavor of the month, Oregon. No way the pollsters vault Kansas over either of those two and the polls account for 2/3 of the BCS formula.

    Your best bet, is LSU losing the SEC championship (a very possible scenario) and that causing enough of a shakeup that the pollsters re-examine where they have Kansas and Oregon.

  12. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    I agree Buckeye. Kansas is quite a way behind LSU even though it is only two spots.

    Johnny, my scenario with one loss OU or Mizzou compared to KU was purely hypothetical. My point was that if Mizzou or OU wins the Big 12 they will be just as deserving of a title game shot as KU would have been if they went undefeated and won the conference. Just my opinion.

    The question about Kansas wasn't about making them legitimate. You said the BCS would have to put Kansas in the game to remain legitimate. I don't think we can say today that Kansas is the second best team in the country IF they beat Mizzou and OU. It isn't that easy. And I don't think it is fair to annoint them just because they won those games. Its a body of work, not a two week season. And what about LSU? And Oregon? Their seasons are at the mercy of Kansas even though they play tougher teams and are ranked higher?

    Like I said, didn't want to make this about Kansas and where they will be on the legitimacy meter IF they beat the Sooners and Tigers. My inquiry was about the BCS remaining legit if they "spurn" the Jayhawks.

  13. #72
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    I agree it is a body of work, not a two-week season. Unfortunately, the polls are heavily weighted towards the end of the year. A 1-loss team who lost in September and October is viewed with a lot more regard than a 1-loss team who loses in November (case in point: Oklahoma). Bearing that in mind, a super-strong finish could (and should) have a huge impact in the polls.

    In terms of legitimacy, well, if a team like Kansas can play in a BSC conference, finish the season against consecutive top-10 opponents, and emerge undefeated, but still have no shot at a national title, you've really got to take a long, hard look at the system.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  14. #73
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    If Kansas runs the table they deserve to be in the BCS championship game. Imagine the complaints from SEC fans if in a down year a team like South Carolina ran the table and was left out of the game to a 1 loss Oklahoma. Like it or not if you run the table in a BCS conference you deserve to play in the title game.

  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    If Bowling Green was undefeated right now (they have the same SOS as Kansas) and just happened to have number 5 Missouri on their schedule, would you be advocating them as worthy of being in the title game?

    Kansas has the 104th ranked schedule, BCS conference or not and they haven't beaten anyone. Not even close to anyone, really.

    My point is they have the resume that a number of MAC teams have had over the year, even if we give them the win against Mizzou.

    IMO the fact that the NCAA recognizes them as a member of the Big 12 doesn't mean squat when your schedule is that bad.

    There schedule isn't tougher because they are in a BCS conference. It is a weak schedule, no matter what league you play in.

  16. #75
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: Great Day for College Football

    The BCS system punishes losses no matter who they were against. That's why teams like South Florida and BC were ranked so highly even though they were exposed as paper tigers. That's why tOSU is #1. You keep on winning, you get rewarded. You lose and you are punished.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25