Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Silva: Best Fit For Reds?

Re: Carlos Silva: Best Fit For Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Throwing out 75% of the last two years is dangerous.
    Maybe, but we are talking about evaluating a pitcher's most recent performance for the purpose of filling a desperate need at a bargain price.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I realize this isn't particulrly helpful, but, Livan Hernandez is only 32 years old?

I like the question mark after your statement. I don't know if it was intentional or a Freudian slip. But we have to remember that's in Cuban years which you automatically have to add 3-5 years to get the proper exchange rate with U.S. years.

You know Eric Milton was a pretty good fit for the Reds 3 years ago and that didn't turn out so well.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

No thanks on Livan hernandez.

ERA close to 5, DIPS close to 6.

Will require lots of money on a long term contract.

Innings eater, but what good is an innings eater that gives you lots of substandard innings?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I like the question mark after your statement. I don't know if it was intentional or a Freudian slip. But we have to remember that's in Cuban years which you automatically have to add 3-5 years to get the proper exchange rate with U.S. years.
    Intentional. I would imagine that living in Cuba could make one age in dog years, like Jimmy Carter's presidency or working for Steinbrenner seems to be for Brian Cashman. Or coming from Cuba might make it easier to falsify one's age and get away with it. Or some combination of both.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I would like to see the Reds accomplish 5 priorities this offseason either through trade of free agency (if not by ST, then by the trade deadline).

1. Land a top three starter
    2. Land somebody capable of closing and moving Stormy to the 8th inning
    3. Add 2 starters to compete with the returning candidates for the 4th and fifth spots (one would be an incentive-laden contract for somebody coming off injury)
    4. A RH 4th OF/PH with more pop than Hopper/Freel
    5. Minor league depth

Silva would fall into category 3 and will command more money than I'd care to spend unless he had better numbers. I'd rather take my chances with Belisle, Shearn or even Ramirez (not to mention the young guys like Bailey, Cueto and Maloney).

I realize this isn't particulrly helpful, but, Livan Hernandez is only 32 years old?
    In pitcher years, he is about 67.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I wouldn't want to give him Milton money, but they guy is a decent major league starting pitcher. We have exactly two of those right now. At some point, you have to spend some money -- and not on outfielders. Would I rather they overwhelm the Twins, trade for Santana and sign him to a big extension? Absolutely I would. But that's not going to happen. If they can get Silva for something like three years, $20 million, that's reasonable in this market and would improve the team quite a bit. That ERA would translate pretty favorably to the NL. I'm guessing he'd give us Arroyo-like production, and I'd take that.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    If they can get Silva for something like three years, $20 million, that's reasonable in this market and would improve the team quite a bit.

He's already turned down more from the Twins.

Let someone else take the Silva risk.
    Go Gators!

Probably a non factor but how will management deal with bringing in pitchers that are inferior to Harang and paying them more than Harang, if last years free agency was any idicator on the price of pitching? Wouldn't Silva be making maybe 8-9 mil compared to Harangs 4-6 mil?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Probably a non factor but how will management deal with bringing in pitchers that are inferior to Harang and paying them more than Harang, if last years free agency was any idicator on the price of pitching? Wouldn't Silva be making maybe 8-9 mil compared to Harangs 4-6 mil?

Good question.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Well, that's a perpetual risk a player takes when he signs on long-term. He understands that he may be giving up some money in favor of stability.

Milton was making more than Harang too. It's not an ideal situation, but it happens, and it's going to happen more and more with the market the way it is. Management is not going to be able to let that be a factor; unfortunate maybe, but it's just the reality of the situation. (This isn't to say there aren't many other reasons not to sign Carlos Silva at $9 million a year...just addressing that one question.)

edit: Just looked it up, FYI, Harang's deal is as follows: he made $4.25 million this past year and stands to make $6.75 million in 08, $11 million in 09, $12.5 million in 10, and $12.75 million in 11. a couple of incentives in his contract as well. So the $4-6 million is very much a temporary figure anyway.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 11-04-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

If he is 32, then I am 16.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Oh, and a big fat no to Silva from me.

The guy doesn't miss bats, and gives up dingers.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I know I am crazy for saying this and yes I am factoring it that it is not my Money> But Livan Hernandez is exactly who I would like the Reds to sign to a 3 year deal. I always felt he is a gamer and can adjust to the park factors of his home field.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?