Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Bills - Last Chance for Contention

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Bengals vs. Bills - Last Chance for Contention

And they seem deathly afraid to blitz in order to get pressure. Last week they blitzed both safeties and about fell off my stool.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've officially stopped caring about the Bengals. I was in the "until Mike Brown steps down" camp until it looked like he got it and hired Marvin Lewis. and I like Marvin. I really think he'll be a successful head coach in the NFL for a long time. But I don't think any head coach can have sustained success as long as MIke Brown is around. This franchise still has his fingerprints all over it. Their player acquisition over the past few years has been embarassing. And I seriously doubt Marvin wanted to keep Chuck D around.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If the Bengals keep playing like this then they should get a good draft pick.

:fineprint

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I've officially stopped caring about the Bengals. I was in the "until Mike Brown steps down" camp until it looked like he got it and hired Marvin Lewis. and I like Marvin. I really think he'll be a successful head coach in the NFL for a long time. But I don't think any head coach can have sustained success as long as MIke Brown is around. This franchise still has his fingerprints all over it. Their player acquisition over the past few years has been embarassing. And I seriously doubt Marvin wanted to keep Chuck D around.
    100 cocktails to you, sir.

I sincerely believe that organizations (whether it be a corporation, a church congregation, a class of students, etc.) take on the personality of their leader. The hallmarks of the Mike Brown era have been nepotism and incompetence, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't care and has no intention of altering anything.

I'm going to Baltimore next week to visit a college friend and see his new baby--we have tickets for the Bengals game but I'm thinking we should just scalp and go down to Annapolis or something.

Senor Votto

What happened to the Bengals? Weren't they actually good a few years ago. Frustrating being a Cincinnati fan.

On another note, what in the world was up with the running game today? The Bills were ranked 24th against the run coming into today's game, and we were able to rush for all of 28 yards. I repeat, 28 yards. I seriously hope Rudi Johnson is relegated to backup in favor of Kenny Watson, or even Chris Perry if he ever gets healthy. I'm sick of watching him stutter step in the backfield on every carry. Just hit the freaking hole Rudi.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    If the Bengals keep playing like this then they should get a good draft pick.

:fineprint
    A good draft pick position perhaps, but the odds of them making an actual good pick are certainly questionable.

Carson Palmer was a good 1st round pick, but since then they've taken Perry (injured) Pollack (injured), the Joseph & Hall (both show potential, but neither is a star yet) in the first round. Some of that is luck, certainly, but who's to say bad luck won't follow them again?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    The hallmarks of the Mike Brown era have been nepotism and incompetence, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't care and has no intention of altering anything.
    The #1 hallmark of the Mike Brown Era: Lack of accountability.

I used to think the reason why he stuck with Dave Shula for so long was out of some misguided belief that the two of them were in the same position: sons of great football men constantly living in the shadows cast by their fathers, both never able (mostly due to lack of aptitude) to show themselves as worthy successors to their names.

Now, I finally see what it was -- the concept of "accountability" means nothing to Brown. He doesn't understand the fundamental point of leadership that, when things go wrong for a long time, someone has to step up and say "The buck stops here." Has never happened since he took over, and I'd be shocked if it started happening now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Man does their defense SUCK! No pressure at all from the front on Hasselbeck, who will pick them apart. They are going to have close to 300 total yds at halftime.

21-9 Seahawks at the half.
    Not so fast, for those of you who were watching that other game the Browns are now 5-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The #1 hallmark of the Mike Brown Era: Lack of accountability.

I used to think the reason why he stuck with Dave Shula for so long was out of some misguided belief that the two of them were in the same position: sons of great football men constantly living in the shadows cast by their fathers, both never able (mostly due to lack of aptitude) to show themselves as worthy successors to their names.

Now, I finally see what it was -- the concept of "accountability" means nothing to Brown. He doesn't understand the fundamental point of leadership that, when things go wrong for a long time, someone has to step up and say "The buck stops here." Has never happened since he took over, and I'd be shocked if it started happening now.
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell. IMO, he's not cut out for leadership positions. He develops relationships with people he works with and doesn't have the courage to cut ties when they clearly aren't getting the job done. Firing people is a tough job. No one wants to do it. And from what I hear, Mike doesn't like to do it. That's why guys last a lot longer under with poor performance for the Bengals than most other organizations. He's just ont cut out to be the guy in charge of a competitive enterprise.

The Bengals haven't done anything well in Mike Brown's tenure. They haven't drafted well, they haven't developed players well, they haven't acquired players through free agency well, they haven't hired the right coaches for the most part (although, I still think Marvin Lewis was the right hire), and they haven't got rid of the riht coaches.

His tenure has been riddled with incompetence from top to bottom, from beginning to .... well... until it ends - which looks like it may be never.

I'm sure Mike Brown is a decent man. But I have absolutely no respect for him at all professionally. He's terrible at what he does, he's in his position by birthright only, hasn't shown any sense at all that he cares that the franchise has been a mess, and that the fans continue to bleed orange and black and shell out their hard earned cash to put more of it in his pocket. It makes me a little sick, to be honest with you. He has every legal right to continue to do what he's doing for as long as he's alive. But, IMO, he should feel some sense of moral obligation to deliver the city something better than they've gotten during his reign. He couldn't care less, and that makes me lose respect for him. IMO, his tenure has been the equvalent of a big middle finger to the people of Cincinnati.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I absolutely despise the Browns, but I give them credit for the year they are having. That team does not have half the talent of the Bungles, but they sure didnt give up and fold the season.

Mike Brown is the definition of born with a silver spoon and f'in that up.

MWM, you and CE should combine your two posts and send it to the Enquirer. I think you guys are spot on.

If anyone has this game on DVR go back and watch the play of Dexter Jackson and Leon Hall. Just two terrible players right now. I don't care about a JP Losman luck interception either. Artrell Hawkins and Rod Jones got some interceptions also.

Also go back and watch how terrible Justin Smith is. He might be the most overpaid player in sports today. He might as well pull a Pavano and not show up for that price. I'm already past the point of caring. This team shows ZERO signs of improvement on the Oline, Dline, Lb's, and the Secondary. Basically this team needs a complete overhaul on the most important parts of a football team. Problem is the Bengals FO and coach truly believe we have good players. If you read the quotes of Marvin and Mike Brown you should truly be ready for YEARS of bad football again. Those two gentleman are incredibly arrogant, stubborn, and incompetent. I've detailed my complaints with Marvin point by point and that was mostly just on personnel. I could write for days on his ineptitude during the game coaching. It's not a stretch to say he is the worst game management coach I have ever seen at the NFL level. He has no idea how to manage the clock, his timeouts, and making adjustments during a game. It's time like this that I honestly see no light at the end of the tunnel. This team is completely void of defensive talent and we have the worst possible guy to accumulate talent.

I challenge anyone to actually back up Marvin and not just call me a front runner. Tell me what he has done right in developing this team. He has failed in almost every big decision he has made recently. It's embarrassing and unlikely to change with his arrogance and the lack of accountability from Mike Brown.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    What happened to the Bengals? Weren't they actually good a few years ago. Frustrating being a Cincinnati fan.
    Even then the Bengals had a very slight margin for error. Without the luck of playing Kyle Orton and the rest of the NFC North the Bengals probably were an 8-8 team that year also. I was thrilled at the time and somewhat optimistic about the future. Problem is you could see the cracks starting in the final few games of that season and now they are gaping holes. I never thought in a million years that Marvin would put together the last two drafts and free agency periods that he has. He couldn't have done worse in either situation in both years.

How sad is it that Marvin Lewis has actually hurt not only the defense but the vaunted offense? But at least Dexter Jackson was a super bowl MVP and Kim Herring was a "Marvin" guy. Pathetic decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by lo ryder View Post
    I absolutely despise the Browns, but I give them credit for the year they are having. That team does not have half the talent of the Bungles, but they sure didnt give up and fold the season.

Mike Brown is the definition of born with a silver spoon and f'in that up.
    Really? I see a much better Oline, a great TE, and plenty of WR play. You don't have to be Peyton Manning to win in this league if you actually have a decent offensive line.

The Browns at least have some young talent on defense also. Right now it's not even a close contest. The Browns have a much brighter future than the Bengals. That's not frustration either. Go position by position and you will see.

The Qb position is the only clear edge for the Bengals and that doesn't matter in the NFL if you can't protect him or run the ball. The Bengals have Tj and Chad but that's it. I would take Edwards, Winslow, and the Browns depth at Wr/Te. Other than Qb the Browns are in better shape at every position group. Sad state of affairs for Bengal fans. The talent isn't really all that special and the coaching is terrible.

Turn Off Ads?