Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Bedard and Scott Kazmir on the Trade Market

Eric Bedard and Scott Kazmir on the Trade Market

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/1...s-will-li.html

Orioles Will Listen On Bedard
    New Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail confirms what we've been reading for the past few months: the club will at least listen to offers for ace Erik Bedard. He adds that the O's have had preliminary, general extension talks with Bedard. I imagine that if Bedard is looking for the $18-20MM per year he could get on the open market, the O's will choose to trade him. Two years of Bedard is at least as good as one of Johan Santana, and Bedard doesn't have any no-trade stipulations. He made just $3.4MM this year.

What are your thoughts on a reasonable package the O's might get for Bedard? The typical Matt Kemp/Clayton Kershaw speculation seems to fit here.

MacPhail also admits that he'd prefer to have flexibility rather than all the long-term contracts the team has committed to. He expects an active trade market, and you can bet the Orioles will be in the middle. Miguel Tejada is likely to be dealt, especially if his name is absent from the Mitchell Report.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/1...azmir-may.html

Rays' Kazmir May Be Available
    The week in hot stove kicks off with a bang: Joel Sherman of the New York Post has a source saying the Devil Rays might listen to offers for ace lefty Scott Kazmir. Kazmir turns 24 in January and carries a 3.64 career ERA despite pitching in the AL East. He's been particularly tough on the Red Sox (2.66 ERA in 101 innings). You have to think that if the Yankees are entertaining making an offer for Johan Santana, they'd consider Kazmir as well if the Rays would deal within the division.

Sherman notes that Kazmir is under contract for three years as opposed to just one for Santana, which could equate the two pitchers in the marketplace. Erik Bedard, under control for two years, has to be in that group of elite, possibly available southpaws as well. Sherman believes the Rays would seek "multiple high-end pitchers" for Kazmir, who is entering arbitration for the first time this winter. The Yankees could offer a package starting with Phil Hughes, but the Mets don't seem to have the goods. It would take a pitcher of that nature - Hughes, Yovani Gallardo, Clay Buchholz. Otherwise, why would the Rays consider it?

Sherman also echoes the surprising notion that Tim Lincecum could be had for the right bat. He speculates that the Giants could pursue Carl Crawford or Delmon Young as the return. Hey, our Delmon speculation is catching on!

Bedard and Kazmir are the type of players the reds should target in a trade this offseason. What is everyone willing to give up to get these players?
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Eric Bedard and Scott Kazmir on the Trade Market

I'd give up Bailey for somebody who has already proven something in the big leagues...

If I was Krivsky I'd offer Bailey and Maloney for Kazmir. For Bedard I'd offer Hamilton and Edwin.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Last I heard the Orioles were seeking multiple position players for Bedard-Votto, Hamilton, and Edwin? As for Tampa Bay, they are looking to get back multiple high-end pitching prospects back. We would definitely need to give up either Bailey or Cueto and add Maloney, or if Tampa Bay played hardball in a trade we might need to give up both Bailey and Cueto

This is great... I for one am having so much fun speculating what the Reds might do or try to do this offseason. Have you noticed, though, that we actually have prospects that we can toss around in trade offers. I mean some of them would hurt a whole lot to lose, but at least it seems we have a ton of high-quality prospects to get teams attention with, but in pitching and in offense.

Pitching: Bailey, Cueto, Maloney, Wood, et al.
    Offense: Hamilton (my favorite player), Votto, EdE, Bruce

I think - depending on how brazen of a package we put together - we could pretty much have anyone we want in a trade.... when's the last off-season that we've been able to say that!!?

Do we have a "Maloney" other than the low ceiling, soft tossing guy we got for Lohse?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Last I heard the Orioles were seeking multiple position players for Bedard-Votto, Hamilton, and Edwin? As for Tampa Bay, they are looking to get back multiple high-end pitching prospects back. We would definitely need to give up either Bailey or Cueto and add Maloney, or if Tampa Bay played hardball in a trade we might need to give up both Bailey and Cueto
    I would do both those trades, but I think I would only do pick 2 of [Hamilton, Votto, EdE] and then maybe some lesser prospects. And for Kazmir - how about Cueto, Maloney, & Wood.

That would leave us w/ a Starting Rotation of:
    Harang,
    Kazmir,
    Bedard,
    Arroyo,
    Bailey ....... wow my mouth is watering at that rotation.

AND Kazmir & Bedard aren't TOO expensive next year, which would give us some money to throw around in the FA market maybe to buy a closer... wow, that excites me!

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Do we have a "Maloney" other than the low ceiling, soft tossing guy we got for Lohse?
    That's one way to describe him. You can also describe Adam Dunn as a defensive liability who strikes out too much. Both would be true, but also completely ignore the good qualities they have (power, on base skills for Dunn; excellent control and is a lefty for Maloney) while providing a skewed picture of the player.

Let's say the D-Rays call and say Kazmir is available for Bailey and Cueto - do you do it? For what it's worth I think Tampa Bay would do that trade, if they want a couple of high-ceiling arms they probably won't get a better offer than that. So, would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Let's say the D-Rays call and say Kazmir is available for Bailey and Cueto - do you do it? For what it's worth I think Tampa Bay would do that trade, if they want a couple of high-ceiling arms they probably won't get a better offer than that. So, would you do it?
    No. Bailey in my mind would be all I would give from the top prospect bin. I wouldn't deal Cueto unless they were willing to part with Edwin Jackson of Ellijah Dukes. Even then I wouldn't give them both Bailey and Cueto, just Cueto. In my mind Cueto is a better prospect, until Bailey can gain his control of his offspeed stuff. I love Dukes' potential. He is a monster. I think that he fits the type of player that Krivsky could be looking for. Jackson is a good young arm that I would love to have.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Senor Votto

I'd love to have Bedard

Yes..... and here's why. I don't really know that much about Kazmir, but if he truly is already an ace ... w/ a reasonable contract over the next couple years.. then what is his downside? Not many aces fall completely off the table (unless due to injury), however, many high profile prospects do. We'd essentially be trading two possible gems, for 1 actual one. I know it's a gamble, but it's a gamble that a smart team makes, IMO.

Tough question there. That's giving up a lot of talent, but Kazmir is also one of the top pitchers in all of baseball (IMO), and he's a lefty to boot. But still, I just couldn't give up that much young talent when we'd still be far away from actually contending for a World Series.

We'd have a great trio of Harang, Kazmir, and Arroyo, but who could we rely on for 4-5? Belisle? Shearn? Maybe Maloney? Not to mention the bullpen is still in shambles. Weathers was solid last year, but can we really expect him to repeat in '08? Who besides Burton can nail down the coffin (so to speak) in the middle-to-late innings?

Bottom line is, if this team was one stud starter away from greatness, then I'd hesitantly pull the trigger (a la Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett). But as it stands, let the young guns come up and produce, hopefully filling two holes for years to come.

Actually getting either one would be phenomenal. I'm more partial to Bedard. If we went after both it would take some serious talent, which I'm not totally against doing really. Not often do you get two teams willing to trade their aces. You have to overspend almost to get proven aces.

Getting a rotation of Harang, Bedard, Kazmir, Arroyo would be unlikely obviously, but I can always dream. I think you have to do almost whatever you can to get that. We would have the best rotation in the majors (we'd have 3 aces). Bruce and Cueto for Bedard? Bailey and EdE for Kazmir?

My only question is how many years would we have either guy under contract once we got them?

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I would do both those trades, but I think I would only do pick 2 of [Hamilton, Votto, EdE] and then maybe some lesser prospects. And for Kazmir - how about Cueto, Maloney, & Wood.

That would leave us w/ a Starting Rotation of:
    Harang,
    Kazmir,
    Bedard,
    Arroyo,
    Bailey ....... wow my mouth is watering at that rotation.

AND Kazmir & Bedard aren't TOO expensive next year, which would give us some money to throw around in the FA market maybe to buy a closer... wow, that excites me!
    A pipe dream perhaps...but the Reds would be in contention the next 5 years.

Turn Off Ads?