Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MLBTradeRumors Top 50 Free Agents

Re: MLBTradeRumors Top 50 Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is just an excuse for Bailey's performance. I thought he improved towards the end as well, but he is still very much unproven at the major league level.
    Its an excuse so much that he missed over a month of time? I don't think the Reds shut him down just because he was struggling, or that he would say he was feeling it in his arm becuase he was trying to compensate for his leg....

He has proven more than Bailey has at the major league level, yes. It's pretty simple.
    Yeah, he has proven he is much more hittable at a more advanced age....

Bailey has a better fastball, but a better curveball? Absolutely not. Marshall's offspeed pitches are light years better than Bailey's, it's not even close. And Bailey's pitch arsenal? That's a huge overstatement as well.
    We will agree to disagree. I like Marshalls curveball, but Bailey's curve is better, especially when he controls it (like he did when he came back for the last month of the season).

Marshall is still relatively young for all intents and purposes. He's not younger than Bailey, I'm quite aware of that. That wasn't my argument. My argument was that he has proven more at the major league level than Bailey and he has and I like what I've seen more from Marshall than I have of Bailey. Also, there is a big difference between Phil Hughes and Homer Bailey. Phil Hughes looked quite a bit better in his first stint in the majors than Bailey did so I don't really value the comparison.
    Not exactly directed toward me, but from what I have seen of Bailey, I see great things in the future so long as he stays healthy. His curveball and fastball work great together, he just needs a little more consistancy. Given his age, I don't worry too much about that coming along. As for Hughes, great guy, good stuff... showed he belonged in the majors. I still don't think he is better than Bailey from this point forward though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its an excuse so much that he missed over a month of time? I don't think the Reds shut him down just because he was struggling, or that he would say he was feeling it in his arm becuase he was trying to compensate for his leg....
    That's purely speculation. We don't really know what happened, so I think it's kind of a moot point. The bottom line is that he came up in 2007 and his first stint as a Red OVERALL was disappointing.

Yeah, he has proven he is much more hittable at a more advanced age....
    Bailey proved at the major league level nothing more than he knows how to inflate an ERA and walk batters.

We will agree to disagree. I like Marshalls curveball, but Bailey's curve is better, especially when he controls it (like he did when he came back for the last month of the season).
    Agreeing to disagreeing is fine because I see it differently.

Not exactly directed toward me, but from what I have seen of Bailey, I see great things in the future so long as he stays healthy. His curveball and fastball work great together, he just needs a little more consistancy. Given his age, I don't worry too much about that coming along. As for Hughes, great guy, good stuff... showed he belonged in the majors. I still don't think he is better than Bailey from this point forward though.
    I like Marshall's repotoire better than Bailey, but that's just me. Bailey has a higher ceiling than Marshall, I'd say that. But, Bailey still has a lot to prove to me. Time will tell. I root for Bailey since he's a Red and I want to see him dominate, but I'm just not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Trading Hamilton now will only net pennies on the dollar.

He has to still be viewed as a major risk to every team. For the same reason that people on here don't mind to see him traded, the GMs out there would be leary to deal for him.

He hasn't shown he can stay healthy and still needs to prove he has overcome his demons. If I were a GM, the mere act of the Reds shopping Hamilton would scare me away.

He needs to stay healthy and clean for 2-3 years before his trade value approaches his talent.

Could be. I've thought about this too. If you can't get the starter you want then keep him. It doesn't mean that the team could get it for any of those other guys. If not Hamilton, then I think it needs to be Bruce or the team needs to settle for a much lesser pitcher. The supposition on dealing Hamilton is that the Dusty's signing means the team wants to win in 2008. The only way that happens is a number 2 or better starter comes aboard. The better plan is to shoot for 2009 or 2010, acquire a couple up and comers to go with what is already here, hope that with numbers and improved defense the pitching improves and the young offense can sustain production. I'm actually for this plan.

The fear is that the team will try to deal Votto or EdE for some vet number 4 type like Noah Lowry or the ilk in a half baked plan to win in 2008. It won't be enough and the trading depth will disappear with Dunn and Griffey leaving and a player or two dealt for mediocrity. I'd rather trade a better guy and get a better guy, hence the Hamilton suggestion..
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?