Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A-Rod and the all-time hits record

A-Rod and the all-time hits record

I keep hearing over and over again how A-Rod feels he can eclipse both Barry Bonds' all-time homerun record and Pete Rose's all-time hits record. He may and probably will take over the HR lead. I hope he does. When it comes to the hits record, he must be smoking something. A-Rod has only collected 200 or more hits twice in his outstanding career. He'd have to collect 200 hits per year, every year, for the next 11 seasons. When he does all that, he'll find himself 6 HITS SHORT!!!!

Best of luck, pretty boy.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A-Rod and the all-time hits record

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I keep hearing over and over again how A-Rod feels he can eclipse both Barry Bonds' all-time homerun record and Pete Rose's all-time hits record. He may and probably will take over the HR lead. I hope he does. When it comes to the hits record, he must be smoking something. A-Rod has only collected 200 or more hits twice in his outstanding career. He'd have to collect 200 hits per year, every year, for the next 11 seasons. When he does all that, he'll find himself 6 HITS SHORT!!!!

Best of luck, pretty boy.
    Maybe that's why he wants a 12 year contract.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Using Leaders up to and including age 31

AROD IS FIRST IN
    *Plate Appearances
    *Runs
    *Total Bases
    *Home Runs

AROD IS SECOND IN
    *RBI
    *Runs Created
    *Extra-Base Hits
    *Power/Speed Number

AROD IS THIRD IN
    *Games
    *At Bats
    *Times on Base

AROD IS 4TH IN
    *Hits

Him becoming the hits leader not going to happen, mainly because he walks a lot more than he used to.
    However say if he had a 10 year contract, and gets 175 hits a year. That if very conservative considering he has had less than 175 hits 2x in 12 years. He would have exactly 4000 hits.

He is on pace to become the all time leader in almost all these categories. If he gets a 10-12 year deal, and has no major injuries, he definitely will become the greatest player to ever play.

Pete Rose had 200 hits in 10 seasons. He had 190-200 hits 3 seasons. He was a top of the order hitter who would consistantly get hits. I just don't think A-Rod will do it.

Senor Votto

Anyone think Jeter could do it?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I think he can, but I really hope he doesn't. For Pete his hits record is what he will be remembered for in the future. He probably will never be in the hall of fame, but when people look in the record books I hope he will always be there.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I wonder if A-Rod would go back to playing shortstop again or is he now commited to playing third base.

(Sorry off topic)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

depends on how long he plays..injuries....

Ichiro would have blown up the hits record had he started in the majors 5 yrs earlier...
    Reds fan since 1970

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post

He is on pace to become the all time leader in almost all these categories. If he gets a 10-12 year deal, and has no major injuries, he definitely will become the greatest player to ever play.
    Ask griffey about breaking Hank Aaron's record...

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I think Jeter is the only active player that's been in the league for more than 5 years who has a legitimate shot. For someone to break Pete's record they'll need to have started by age 20-22, be very durable, and when you look down their stat sheet at age 30+ they need to have quite a few 200 hit seasons.

A-Rod is a possibility, but it's not realistic since he's more likely to average 180 hits per year than the 200+ that he really needs. I'd put Pujols in A-Rod's catergory as well.

Both A-Rod and Pujols are great hitters with batting averages alone that are good enough to make it, but: (1) they are walking 90-100 times per year and Jeter is walking 60 times per year (Pete was walking about 70 times per year), and (2) neither is hitting leadoff which is "robbing" them of at bats. #1 alone gives Jeter an extra 10-15 hits per year. #2 got Jeter to the plate 17 more times than A-Rod in 2007 while A-Rod playing in two more games than Jeter, so #2 may give Jeter an extra 5 hits per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    Ichiro would have blown up the hits record had he started in the majors 5 yrs earlier...
    Maybe, but not necessarily. The legs are the first to go.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?