Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's go after Eric Gagne

Let's go after Eric Gagne

I think Eric Gagne would be a great target for the Reds. His value was likely decreased by the perceived troubles he had in Boston, but take a look at this:

Gagne on Rangers (33 IP): 8.5 K/9, 3.5 BB/9
    Gagne on Red Sox (18 IP): 9.6 K/9, 3.9 BB/9

Oh and he gave up fewer HR/9 with Boston than he did with Texas. Basically he got really unlucky in a small sample size, but it happened in a huge baseball market so everyone saw it. I would love to sign Gagne as our closer. That would give us four guys that I trust (counting Weathers, Burton, Bray). For what it's worth Gagne made $6M last season. Something like 3 years, $15M would be a good signing in my mind. I'd rather spend $5M on somebody good than $2.5M each on two Mike Stantons.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Let's go after Eric Gagne

Gagne's health has to be a concern for a 3 year deal, but other than that I completely agree with your assesment...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

i'd give him a shot, but i would have an incentive laden contract.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Gagne's health has to be a concern for a 3 year deal, but other than that I completely agree with your assesment...
    Good point, $10M for 2 years would be better if we could swing it.

The only concern I have about Gagne's stats is his HR/FB% last year. His was 5.2% last year. Based on him pitching in Texas and Boston, that number should have been closer to 11% last year with average luck. That said, his HR/9 would only increase to about 1 per nine, which is a fine number. So, if the Reds could get him for 7-8 million a year, it would definitely be a move to consider.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post

Agreed. I think he would be a great addition to the bullpen. Let Dr. Kremcheck give him a complete physical and if Doc Hoillywood signs off on Gagne....sign him.

This is exactly the kind of risk a small market team has to take. He might not be willing to take an incentive laiden contract though. If that's the case we may need to make significant guarantees. I don't know about you guys, but I am willing to take a few risks to get this bullpen back into shape.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

as long as the risk is 2 years and not 3...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I have a strong feeling we will go after him, but miss to a higher bidder. And the story continues...

BTW, this is just a feeling and not a rumor or "inside info" of any kind.

I said weeks ago I'd like to go after him. I think he was word down at the end of his stint with the BoSox, coming off injury.

I think if he gets in shape and we don't overwork him, he would be a great addition to our bullpen.
    Who's on first?

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Gagne would dominate NL hitting. With Milton's (and Lohse's, and Cormier's) money coming off the books, the Reds can afford him. I think this is a great idea, and one that Krivsky and co. should heavily pursue.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Is it just me or has the term "incentive laden contract" popped up alot this year. Is it too much to ask for the Reds to go after pitchers who don't have a recent injury red flag. I know that the front office has been cheap in the past, but if we keep accepting this type of thing it will never change. Gagne, Matt Morris, Prior, Wood. If you are going to take these kind of risks and they don't work out I guess you havn't lost much money with a "incentive laden contract" but you probably havn't won alot of games either. Lets take a step forward with the hiring of a new manager and get some guys who we know will perform, and not guys that could perform if they stay or become healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Is it just me or has the term "incentive laden contract" popped up alot this year. Is it too much to ask for the Reds to go after pitchers who don't have a recent injury red flag. I know that the front office has been cheap in the past, but if we keep accepting this type of thing it will never change. Gagne, Matt Morris, Prior, Wood. If you are going to take these kind of risks and they don't work out I guess you havn't lost much money with a "incentive laden contract" but you probably havn't won alot of games either. Lets take a step forward with the hiring of a new manager and get some guys who we know will perform, and not guys that could perform if they stay or become healthy.
    OK, well what bullpen guys are out there are sure things who are better than Gagne? I think "guys who we know will perform" are pretty much a myth. Every signing is a risk.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    OK, well what bullpen guys are out there are sure things who are better than Gagne? I think "guys who we know will perform" are pretty much a myth. Every signing is a risk.
    What im trying to say here is that if we signed Gagne to a contract and he got hurt within a month, nobody would be suprised by it. Same with Prior, Morris, Wood ect. These guys are great high risk high reward type guys but they probably are not long term answers with their injury history. Money is money and injured or not these guys are not going to be cheap considering the risk envolved. I guess what im saying is that I view "guys who we know will perform"= guys that if they got hurt it would be a shock, compared to guys that if they got hurt we would all say"we should have seen that comming"
    Last edited by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM; 11-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I said weeks ago I'd like to go after him. I think he was word down at the end of his stint with the BoSox, coming off injury.

I think if he gets in shape and we don't overwork him, he would be a great addition to our bullpen.
    Word up!

Turn Off Ads?