Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Collecting outfielders in D.C.

Collecting outfielders in D.C.

The Nationals have Young, Kearns, Pena, Church, Ryan Langerhans and Nook Logan, but they too need a CF.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110501694.html

Though Washington Nationals President Stan Kasten has spent much of his time with the club explaining why he believes signing expensive free agents should be the last step in a rebuilding process, Kasten himself met with former Atlanta Braves center fielder Andruw Jones recently at Jones's Atlanta home, a source with knowledge of the situation said yesterday.

The contact with Jones, believed to be extremely preliminary, means the Nationals have at least touched base with all three top center fielders on the market. The agents for Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand confirmed initial contact from Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden last week.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Collecting outfielders in D.C.

I thought Nook Logan could play a decent defensive CF. Is that assumption incorrect?

The rare No IF's 8 OF's D
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The rare No IF's 8 OF's D
    Brilliant strategy!

Haven't we seen that somewhere before?

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Haven't we seen that somewhere before?
    Reggie Taylor, Ruben Rivera, Alex Ochoa, Jefferey Hammonds, Brian Hunter, Deion.
    Go Gators!

1999: Greg Vaughn, Mike Cameron, Dmitri Young, Jeffrey Hammonds, Michael Tucker.

It actually can work.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I was thinking of:

Griffey, Dunn, Guillen, Kearns, Pena

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I thought Nook Logan could play a decent defensive CF. Is that assumption incorrect?
    Yeah, he is pretty decent. Got some afterburners too. He makes some goofy looking plays, but is alright. My guess is they know he won't hit. Nook experimented with batting from one side of the plate for a while, can't remember which, although he has been a switch hitter for a long time. Not a good sign, I'd say.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Yeah, he is pretty decent. Got some afterburners too. He makes some goofy looking plays, but is alright. My guess is they know he won't hit. Nook experimented with batting from one side of the plate for a while, can't remember which, although he has been a switch hitter for a long time. Not a good sign, I'd say.
    I knew he was fast and had no stick, but as long as he could OPS near .700, with his speed and range, he would definitely be a serviceable CF for the Nats.

Unfortunately in 870 career AB, Nook Logan's only OPS'd .660 for his career.

Add Mike Cameron's name to the list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

WASHINGTON -- Center fielder Mike Cameron believes the Nationals might be a good fit for him, according to his agent, Mike Nicotera, and Washington is looking for a center fielder.

Nicotera would not say if he made contact with the Nationals, and Washington general manager Jim Bowden did not return a phone message.

Nicotera said on Tuesday it helps that Cameron knows several people in the Nationals organization. Cameron worked for Bowden for one year when both were in Cincinnati in 1999, and Cameron was in the Mets organization when manager Manny Acta was the third-base coach. Cameron also was Dmitri Young's teammate in Cincinnati.

"As he and I have looked at the different opportunities around the league, one of the [teams] we have spoken about [is the Nationals]," Nicotera said. "There are some connections there with Manny Acta. Mike is fond of Manny. When they were in New York, they got along well. He obviously knows Jim Bowden. To that extent and the idea of the new park and that Washington is not too far from Atlanta [Cameron's hometown], all those things make it a desirable place.

"There is going to be a lot of excitement that surrounds that park. Washington is also an area that Mike has other family in the area."

A 13-year veteran who is best known for his years with the Mariners, the right-handed-hitting Cameron, 34, played with the Padres in 2007 and hit .242 with 21 home runs and 78 RBIs. However, on Oct. 31, Major League Baseball announced that Cameron received a 25-game suspension for testing positive for a banned stimulant. The suspension takes place at the start of the 2008 season. So if the Nationals signed Cameron, they would have to find a quality backup center fielder in the interim.

Asked about Cameron's spirits these days, Nicotera said, "They are good. Certainly, this is something he has to deal with. He understands it. As he said in his statement, he understands the system and how it works. He will learn from it, live with it and move on. That's how he looks at it. It's in the rear view mirror.

"There have been so many people in the game -- both players and people in management -- who have reached out to him and offered support. They tell him, 'We know the type of person that you are and you move forward.'"
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?