Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 Reds major league breakout player

Re: 2008 Reds major league breakout player

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds 2008 breakout player hasn't been acquired yet. My guess is he'll be a catcher with a decent glove and a clue at the plate who enjoys a power boost courtesy of the GAB.

Eddie Perez will be getting a call any day now. He's ripe for a comeback.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Eddie Perez will be getting a call any day now. He's ripe for a comeback.
    I'm thinking someone more fictional. Let's call him Nolan Van Gorder.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm thinking someone more fictional. Let's call him Nolan Van Gorder.
    Sounds like a hockey player
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

You can do alot worse then Matt Belisle in your starting rotation, and the Reds have.

Games Started by Reds pitchers last year:
    1. Harang (34)
    1. Arroyo (34)
    3. Belisle (30)
    4. Livingston (10)
    5. Bailey (9)
    6. Dumatrait (6)
    6. Milton (6)
    6. Shearn (6)
    9. Ramirez (3)
    9. Saarloos (3)

34 starts last season came from Livingston, Dumatrait, Milton, Shearn, Ramirez, and Saarloos, all of which are much worse options then Belisle.

In a league, and even more so a city, starved for starting pitching it is no time to give up on a 27 year old who threw 177 innings for for with a 125 Ks and 43 BB.

He's not my canidate to have a breakout year, but he's not a bad guy to have around as a back of the rotation starter.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You can do alot worse then Matt Belisle in your starting rotation, and the Reds have.

1. Harang (34)
    1. Arroyo (34)
    3. Belisle (30)
    4. Livingston (10)
    5. Bailey (9)
    6. Dumatrait (6)
    6. Milton (6)
    6. Shearn (6)
    9. Ramirez (3)
    9. Saarloos (3)

34 starts last season came from Livingston, Dumatrait, Milton, Shearn, Ramirez, and Saarloos, all of which are much worse options then Belisle.

In a league, and even more so a city, starved for starting pitching it is no time to give up on a 27 year old who threw 177 innings for for with a 125 Ks and 43 BB.

He's not my canidate to have a breakout year, but he's not a bad guy to have around as a back of the rotation starter.
    Plus he is cheap, and has some upside.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

1. Harang (34)
    1. Arroyo (34)
    3. Belisle (30)
    4. Livingston (10)
    5. Bailey (9)
    6. Dumatrait (6)
    6. Milton (6)
    6. Shearn (6)
    9. Ramirez (3)
    9. Saarloos (3)

Nice post. It puts things in perspective. What Belisle did last year, and it shouldn't be underestimated, is take the ball 30 times and head out to the mound to start a major league game. That's a serious hurdle to clear, physically and mentally. Now he knows the grind associated with this job, how good the hitters are, the kind of consistency it takes to succeed.

We'll see how he responds, but he's in a real interesting place.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Nice post. It puts things in perspective. What Belisle did last year, and it shouldn't be underestimated, is take the ball 30 times and head out to the mound to start a major league game. That's a serious hurdle to clear, physically and mentally. Now he knows the grind associated with this job, how good the hitters are, the kind of consistency it takes to succeed.

I agree. I think he is a more than adequate 4th starter, especially on this team.

Exactly why i tabbed him as my breakout player. That said he could easily regress.

Along these lines, my breakout minor league player (for the fourth time) Tyler Pelland could see action at the major league level this year. I rather hope he doesn't as I'd like to see him really excel in a setup role in Louisville for a whole year, but you know if the pen falters he's going to get the call. He could surprise if he can harness that big curveball of his.
    Last edited by TRF; 11-08-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

It'll be interesting to see what PECOTA predicts for 2008.

GL

Of the players now on the roster I'll split my vote between Belisle and Edwin.

I hope Dusty will give them the 2008 season to prove themselves one way or another.

I hope he doesn't just give up on eighther one if they get off to a slow start.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'm going with Edwin Encarnacion. He led the team in batting average this year, and I think this is the year we really see his power start to develop. I think he'll be the right-handed bat that can be placed in the middle of the order to break up Dunn/Griffey/Hamilton/Hatteberg/Votto/etc.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Mark me down for Jeff Keppinger.

Something will happen between now and the end of the regular season in 2008 for Jeff Keppinger to play on a regular basis, and shockingly produce.

Turn Off Ads?