Turn Off Ads?

Thread: GMs Vote 25-5 for use of instant replay

GMs Vote 25-5 for use of instant replay

GMs vote 25-5 to use replay to aid home run decisions

Associated Press
    Updated: November 6, 2007, 1:11 PM

ORLANDO, Fla. -- For the first time Tuesday, baseball general managers recommended instant replay be used to help umpires make close calls.

The recommendation, by a 25-5 vote, was limited to boundary calls -- whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or hit the top and bounce back, and whether fans have interfered with a possible homer.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig opposes the use of replays but said last month he was willing to let GMs examine the issue.

"I don't like instant replay because I don't like all the delays. I think it sometimes creates as many problems or more than it solves,'' Selig said then.

A final vote could take place at the baseball's winter meetings in December.
    Last edited by macro; 11-06-2007 at 01:40 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GM's Vote 25-2 for use of instant replay

It's 25-5 according to the article, not 25-2, not that it really matters.

Wonder how Wayne voted.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    It's 25-5 according to the article, not 25-2, not that it really matters.
    I fixed it. For some reason there was a typo on the site I copied it from and then I duplicated the mistake in my thread title.
    Last edited by macro; 11-06-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wonder how Wayne voted.
    He probably refused to vote out loud so no one knew where he stood on it... then changed the subject quickly.

Re: GM's Vote 25-5 for use of instant replay

There's no logical reason why it should take more time to look at a replay than it does now to have all the umpires conference and both managers take turns coming out to argue over it. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't manage to find a way to overcomplicate it to the point that it makes it take longer.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    There's no logical reason why it should take more time to look at a replay than it does now to have all the umpires conference and both managers take turns coming out to argue over it. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't manage to find a way to overcomplicate it to the point that it makes it take longer.
    The time of the replay plus the time of the argument will be greater than the time of the argument (usually), though perhaps there will be fewer arguments (but anybody who has watched football has seen enough plays where even the replay does not make it obvious)

Why are they just using replay for some calls and not all?? I am thinking that MLB believes they will have a better chance of getting approval to have instant replay on some calls as opposed to having it for every call. I think this is just the first step to one day having instant replay on every call.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Why are they just using replay for some calls and not all?? I am thinking that MLB believes they will have a better chance of getting approval to have instant replay on some calls as opposed to having it for every call. I think this is just the first step to one day having instant replay on every call.
    No sport replays every single call (for instance, penalties in football) and baseball is simply following established procedure. If the NFL or other sports do it one way, then baseball will fall in line & copy them.

(And I hope that I never see a sport where every single play is subject to replay. Let the humans make mistakes and play the game.)

It's pretty rare that you see those types of calls in slow motion and still can't tell whether it's a HR or whether or not a fan interfered. Unless the camera shot misses the ball or a ball goes high over a foul pole. You can usually see exactly where a ball hits a wall or a fan touches it or whether it goes in front of or behind a foul pole. Other types of calls are not as clear.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

so eveytime we get a hard liner down the 1st or 3b line, that potentially scores a run we are going to consult replay? because the team on the field's manager argues it was foul & the ump blew the call?

or is it just HR calls?

what's the difference either way? the entire idea of replay in baseball is rediculous IMO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    No sport replays every single call (for instance, penalties in football) and baseball is simply following established procedure. If the NFL or other sports do it one way, then baseball will fall in line & copy them.
    But during the course of a 162 game season I can see maybe ten times a replay would be used to determine if a homerun was fair or foul or if a fan interfered with a homerun. I just can see this being a way to quietly introduce instant replay to the game with the ultimate goal of having it used for more than just home run calls. I dont think MLB will get carried away and have every call reviewed but I see alot more than just home run calls reviewed.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?