Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you think the Bearcats will do this year?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .500 or Over

24 47.06%
  • Under .500

23 45.10%
  • Not Sure

4 7.84%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball right around the corner!

Re: UC Basketball right around the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    People that want to hold the Huggins fiasco against this UC team are flat out wrong. Excuse me what did Huggins really do all those seasons? He beat inferior teams like a rented mule with superior talent, tended to exit early in the NCAA tournament, and was generally a butthead. I really enjoy this team, as I did those Huggins teams, but at least now you don't have to defend punching horses, girlfriends, and stabbing roommates.

Get over it, Nancy Zimpher was sick of having a black eye, and gasp, perhaps she didn't like Andy Kennedy. Mick Cronin is doing a good job, and this team needs and has earned your support.
    Majority of coaches that are in 1 place for 15 years are going to have a few bad apples.

If you are thinking Mick is recruiting only the best citizens and guys with 3.5 grade point averages then you need to pay more attention.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Majority of coaches that are in 1 place for 15 years are going to have a few bad apples.

If you are thinking Mick is recruiting only the best citizens and guys with 3.5 grade point averages then you need to pay more attention.
    There is improvement though, UC had 8 players on the Big East Academic Honor Roll last year..did Huggs ever do that?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    There is improvement though, UC had 8 players on the Big East Academic Honor Roll last year..did Huggs ever do that?
    He was never in the big east :

Well you got me there, but you get the point

Give it time Mick will get his fair share of bad apples

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Give it time Mick will get his fair share of bad apples
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I disagree.
    I also disagree. Huggins had more than "a few bad apples," he had more problem players than I could count on two hands, and more than I could remember off the top of my head over the years, NCAA sanctions to boot.

In addition his players had problems in the NBA as well (Fortson, Patterson, Martin, Van Exel, all had problems with their behavior and off-court issues in the NBA).

Logan is right, it's refreshing to watch a well coached team that plays as a team - they run good screens, play defense (usually) back doors, pass and generally handle the ball well, their players don't get in trouble, and they go to class and are competing at a higher level than Huggins' teams ever did. And it's nice to see a team that doesn't just rely on one 3 point shooter every year to carry them. Now they have multiple guys who can play inside or out like all the top programs have.

I appreciate the heck out of what Huggs did here, but his act got old the last 4-5 years ecspecially, and his teams constantly under-achieved in the post season and fell apart. As soon as Calapari and Pitino entered C-USA, they owned Huggins and UC immediately fell down a few notches in the league and no longer dominated.

And there is nothing "classy" about getting a DUI as a Div-1A head coach, puking all over your car door and asking the cops to let him off, after visiting a recruit's family of all things. Real class there, setting a fine example for young high school kids.

So people who blame Zimpher for not being "classy" need to remember that Huggins and his choice of players were also far from it. UC's administration tried to handle things in a classy manner, Huggins would not let them. He refused to leave without being forced out in an ugly manner. I see no reason why he doesn't deserve any blame, just because he went to an Elite 8 in 1995 or Final 4 in 1992, and dominated a putrid league until two better coaches came in and took it over.

You act like he was terrible once Calipari and Pitino came into CUSA. Any time you add more talent into your conference its going to get harder to win.

Uconn dominated the Big East before the CUSA teams came into the league does that make their hall of fame coach less of a hall of famer?

No Bip, but you can't sit there with a straight face and act like CUSA was an actual conference.

Syracuse has been pretty good, they won some award a few years ago I think. St. Johns is down right now, but they were up no less than 5 years ago. Pittsburgh has been good, and UConn has been loaded with NBA talent. Their list of players makes UC's look like SW Missouri State.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    No Bip, but you can't sit there with a straight face and act like CUSA was an actual conference.

Syracuse has been pretty good, they won some award a few years ago I think. St. Johns is down right now, but they were up no less than 5 years ago. Pittsburgh has been good, and UConn has been loaded with NBA talent. Their list of players makes UC's look like SW Missouri State.
    Where did i say CUSA was a great conference, im just saying because there was an upgrade of talent doesnt mean Huggins got worse...

And to say that Uconn makes UC look like SW Miss State is the stupiest thing ive heard in a long long time
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 01-24-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Big Game vs. Seton Hall today. If they could pull out a road win after that horendous loss vs UConn, it would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Big Game vs. Seton Hall today. If they could pull out a road win after that horendous loss vs UConn, it would be huge.
    UC blew an early lead. Down by 6 at halftime.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

One point game with only a couple minutes left. Looks like another game that will go down to the last possession.

Sadly, I did not get to see this game today. I was in Columbus and forgot to set the DVR to record. From the looks of the final score, it was another thriller. I think these close games show you that UC can compete with anybody, but they also show you that they are not quite as good as some of us had hoped. They lack the killer instinct. When you face a team you can beat, you don't play to be there at the end, you play to absolutely obliterate them. You don't let teams come back from 10 points down. At times it appears like this team has a hard time playing with a lead. I can't put my finger on it, but its like they play to just squeak by. There has been at least two games where I felt like they should have put teams away put they just couldn't do it. UConn being one of them. There is no doubt in my mind that they will only get better as the season goes on and into next season, but I would really like to see a good 15 point win. Its like they get the lead then work on conserving it instead of staying with what got them there.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Sadly, I did not get to see this game today. I was in Columbus and forgot to set the DVR to record. From the looks of the final score, it was another thriller. I think these close games show you that UC can compete with anybody, but they also show you that they are not quite as good as some of us had hoped. They lack the killer instinct. When you face a team you can beat, you don't play to be there at the end, you play to absolutely obliterate them. You don't let teams come back from 10 points down. At times it appears like this team has a hard time playing with a lead. I can't put my finger on it, but its like they play to just squeak by. There has been at least two games where I felt like they should have put teams away put they just couldn't do it. UConn being one of them. There is no doubt in my mind that they will only get better as the season goes on and into next season, but I would really like to see a good 15 point win. Its like they get the lead then work on conserving it instead of staying with what got them there.
    The Big East is very average this year. I don't think UC has progressed at some amazing rate like some wish. They have won exactly one road game all season and have lost to some truly embarrassing teams. I don't think people realize how great of a motivator/coach that Bob Huggins is. He could take a group of extremely raw and selfish players and mold them into a winner almost overnight. I can understand the dislike of Huggins from some but that doesn't change the fact that UC fans will probably never see a coach like that again. He's a HOF coach and would have won NCAA titles or NBA titles if he would have chosen to jump ship early in his tenure at UC. He turned down a 8 million dollar offer from the Clippers and also turned down the Heat and Lakers in the mid 90's.

It's a shame he was loyal to UC for so many years and they let some new president push him out. Now there are morons out there that call him disloyal because he went back to his dream job after resurectting KState. It's amazing how selfish fans, alumni, and school administators are. They want loyalty at all costs from a coach but they wouldn't turn down their dream job even if it meant they had to disown their own mom.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?