Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you think the Bearcats will do this year?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .500 or Over

24 47.06%
  • Under .500

23 45.10%
  • Not Sure

4 7.84%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball right around the corner!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: UC Basketball right around the corner!

UC was 2-14 last season in the Big East.

So far, they're 2-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quite an impressive game against a very talented Syracuse team. I felt like they had the game under control after they took the lead in the second part of the first half. Their defense is vastly improved and they seem to be coming together as a team. That is the most important aspect of it for me. I think Mick has really pulled this team together. They appear very well coached.

One thing I would really like to see happen now is for them to cut down on the mindless fouls. It just seems like Adam H. can't keep his hands off the opponent in the paint. They are just stupid fouls. Deonta make a lot of them too. I do like the seeing them foul hard when they foul on the fast break to ensure that the shooter can't finish. That is just good fundamentals. Some of them this season have been borderline intentional fouls, but they are making sure they earn the points. Nothing frustrates me more than when a player fouls the opponent close to the basket but just taps his arm. Make him earn the points instead of giving him the extra one.

Also, foul shots. You have got to make more of them. They made them for the most part tonight. The thing that frustrates me is that foul shots are all about practice, repitition and concentration. At that level, 70% is a very attainable goal for the big men. There is no good excuse for being a bad free throw shooter. In fact, 70% should be mediocre. Williamson is almost money to be too strong on the first and perfect on the second. Anybody else notice that? The problem is that kids get into their head that they should shoot 3's and they practice them. I know some people who could shoot lights out from behind the arc, but couldn't shoot a lick from the free throw line. I just never got the point in that. Free throws are the easy points.

Finally, I would also like to see the team more disciplined on offensive sets. They tend to pass around the parimeter and look for an open three. You saw a lot of bad shots against the zone tonight. Just some dribble penetration if nothing else. Attack the seems of the zone. The post game wasn't there for them mostly because of size, but penetration and a kick out would have gave them some better looks and probably opened things up in the medium range if not further underneath. They also seem to make some bad passes. I attribute that to being a young team trying to mesh. I'm not to worried about that yet.

The effort is there, and the talent is adequet. They just need some more experience and time to learn. They are in good hands with Mick. I still don't think they quite get to .500 this year because they have a tough schedule ahead of them. However, they are going to make some noise and in the very near future they will be among the top in the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I think the basketball program is in good hands under Mick Cronin
    If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree. And yes I'm still bitter and have all the right to be. It might be lame, but I support Andy and Bob only in college basketball. FSN.com has a great article on their site about how Andy was asked to seperate himself from Huggins and agree to not speak about him. Andy did the loyal thing and I will always respect him for that. The other guy interviewing was willing to say and do whatever it took to get the job. I guess that's fine with people that just want W's.

Look at Syracuse and their schedule and you won't be as impressed by this win. Syracuse has played nobody decent on the road and lost against any average team they played. Nice win for UC considering how bad they are I suppose.
    Last edited by Cedric; 01-10-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree. And yes I'm still bitter and have all the right to be. It might be lame, but I support Andy and Bob only in college basketball. FSN.com has a great article on their site about how Andy was asked to seperate himself from Huggins and agree to not speak about him. Andy did the loyal thing and I will always respect him for that. The other guy interviewing was willing to say and do whatever it took to get the job. I guess that's fine with people that just want W's.

Look at Syracuse and their schedule and you won't be as impressed by this win. Syracuse has played nobody decent on the road and lost against any average team they played. Nice win for UC considering how bad they are I suppose.
    I think that you may be giving Mick an unfair shake. I hate that Huggins was fired and would've really liked to see AK stay, but there is nothing I can do about it. I said it before and I still don't think that AK would have taken the job if asked. AK knew it was a bad situation. I've met Mick a couple times. I have a family member who is a very close friend. He also handles a lot of Mick's financial planning. I work also work with that family member. I just had the chance to speak with him briefly last week. He is a very classy person, however he is very quiet. That struck me as a little odd, but I wouldn't call it anything but shyness as strange as that sounds. He has always been very pleasant, always willing to talk a little about the team. Out of respect for him, its never gone beyond a simple your team played a very good game, are things improving as much as they appear? I don't try to pry any further than that. My realitive will talk all day about basketball though. He is a former player. Graduated in the mid 80's.

Anyway, that is just my personal expierence with Mick. You are entitled to your own opinion, and it is a respectable one.

On Syracuse, they may not be a ranked opponent, but they are a very solid young team with a lot of talent. The schedule really doesn't change my stance on that. They do however lack some depth and expierence. I would still have to say that they are probably going to win some big games against some very good opponents. Syracuse was a very good win for the Cats IMO.

I understand your frustration all too well buddy, but I hope to have you back as a UC fan sometime soon. It may take firing Nancy for some of us, but I hope the estranged fans come back sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree.

This is interesting to me. If you cared so much about class you probably wouldn't be a huge Bob Huggins fan. I was and still am a Huggs fan, and I hated to see him go. I was a huge supporter of AK and was mad when UC didn't hire him. AK represents all three of those characteristics from what I know of him. Huggs represents two of them. I'm a Huggs fan, but even I can admit he doesn't exactly exude class. In fact, I've heard many, many stories of him acting pretty classless, and even experienced a pretty classless moment of his first hand when I was still in high school.

You should learn to move on instead of being so bitter, it feels pretty good. I'm enjoying the limited success that we're having, and I'm hopeful for the future.

Less Adam H and more McClain seems to be a winning formula for this team I've noticed. Same with getting guys like Bishop more minutes.

McClain seems to change things underneath with just his presence for now, and they beat both Louisville and Syracuse with him getting more minutes.

I realize Adam is 6'10" and they have no one else other than McClain who can match his size - but he's sooo bad that I almost can't stand to watch him play at all. It's very rare that he does anything positive at all, and usually brings the rest of the team down with his mistakes and poor shooting and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Less Adam H and more McClain seems to be a winning formula for this team I've noticed. Same with getting guys like Bishop more minutes.

McClain seems to change things underneath with just his presence for now, and they beat both Louisville and Syracuse with him getting more minutes.

I realize Adam is 6'10" and they have no one else other than McClain who can match his size - but he's sooo bad that I almost can't stand to watch him play at all. It's very rare that he does anything positive at all, and usually brings the rest of the team down with his mistakes and poor shooting and defense.
    I'm not a big Adam H fan either. He's just not very talented. However, people booing him last night was uncalled for. The guy works hard and has a good attitude, there's just no sense in booing a college student who's busting his tail. Also people booed when he went in late in the game. Mick put him in for his free throw shooting, and sure enough he got fouled and hit both free throws before going to the bench. He did his job and still got booed.

Should be another fun game to watch tonight, what are some of your predictions? I just love watching this team this year. Not as much as the AK year though. They have an exciting feeling about them, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Should be another fun game to watch tonight, what are some of your predictions? I just love watching this team this year. Not as much as the AK year though. They have an exciting feeling about them, I can't quite put my finger on it.
    I'm goin to the game tonight. My brother is a UC student, so I'm going with him. Should be close. Hopefully UC can shoot threes like they have been recently.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'll be at the game too. I think we will hold it close, and I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I'll go for the upset, 62-59.

How about predictions for attendence? I'm thinking 11,000 or more. It said they had over ten thousand at the last game.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Crowd looks sort of sparse on the tube, could be wrong.

Adam H doing his best hack job so far, already making mistakes and turning it over.

Down by 3 now...I LOVE how McClain changes things when he comes in - ecspecially against a small team like Nova.

Welcome to UC Alvin Mitchell, where you been?

Vaughn with 19 points already early in the 2nd half - he's hot and starting to look more like what we saw last year. 6th leading PPG in the BE.

UC hanging in there despite no inside game at all for some reason. Good game.

Adam H - ugh - he must have 5 turnovers tonight, just awful. For any one thing he does well, he does 3 things poorly. If they would just force him to only rebound and play defense, he would be fine. He can't score or handle the ball in any way.

Talking to myself - great win against a top 20 team tonight and confidence firmly restored in Cronin after the SJU debacle.

And I was dead wrong about the crowd - looks packed actually.

I think the Cats will struggle on the road just about every time, so it would be nice to see them do something there soon.

BTW - Yancy Gates on the tube now - wow he and McClain have sooo much potential - nice to think about for the next 3 years
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 01-12-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Turn Off Ads?