Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Glove winners

Re: Gold Glove winners

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    And I'm really sick of I-Rod winning GGs when he doesn't even bother to move to block tough pitches.
    He was horrible this year. I can't believe this much attention is given to the award.

In 1999, Rafael Palmeiro won the GG award at firstbase. He played 28 games at first that year. This is the dumbest award of all time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    He was horrible this year. I can't believe this much attention is given to the award.

In 1999, Rafael Palmeiro won the GG award at firstbase. He played 28 games at first that year. This is the dumbest award of all time.
    Actually I thought it was 23 games he played at 1st, either way it's quite laughable. And yet somehow we are supposed to take these things seriously.

O-Dog beat out BP but I was listening to C Trent and The Bad Boy (on 1530 subbing for Lance)
    earlier and one of them said that O-Dog thought BP should have won it. At least the players know what's up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    At least the players know what's up.
    Well, some of them. It's the players who do the voting for GG.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Good Lord, please abolish this award
    Go Gators!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say, Some of them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Pudge and Beltre seem to be surprises for the AL GG.

Rowand is the only surprise for the NL.

IMO, of course.

As for Phillips getting jobbed over Hudson, I just don't see it. Phillips is a good defender, but he's not Chase Utley or Orlando Hudson. Again, also IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The GG awards are determined by the coaches and managers in the majors and the voting occurs before the season ends. The players don't get to vote.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

IMO, of course.
    The gold glove awards are an absolute farce but that said, this is proof that Beltre kicks arse!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Phillips getting jobbed over Hudson, I just don't see it. Phillips is a good defender, but he's not Chase Utley or Orlando Hudson. Again, also IMO.
    I think you're absolutely dead on....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

IMO, of course.

Chase Utley a better defender than Brandon Phillips? Opinion or not, how do you come to that conclusion?

I like Greg Maddox a lot, but it is obvious he is getting the award yearly now simply to be getting the award yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The gold glove awards are an absolute farce but that said, this is proof that Beltre kicks arse!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was under the impression Adrian Beltre was of the EE mold. Great range, inconsistent arm. But good for him if he now has a GG. I can't for the life of me think of anyone that had a good year defensive at 3B this year in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Chase Utley a better defender than Brandon Phillips? Opinion or not, how do you come to that conclusion?
    The only advantage I'd potentially give Phillips would be reaction, or first step. I think Utley sees the ball off the bat better, has better range, and has better footwork.

I lost track of how many Phillies games I attended when I lived in Philly between April 2005 and December 2006, but Chase Utley and Brandon Phillips are both joys to watch in the field. I just think Utley is more polished.

I was under the impression Adrian Beltre was of the EE mold. Great range, inconsistent arm. But good for him if he now has a GG. I can't for the life of me think of anyone that had a good year defensive at 3B this year in the AL.
    Beltre has always been a defensive stud.

Brandon Inge. But Beltre's pretty good, too.

Youkilis was a decent choice for 1B. Kotchman might be a little better there, too. But 3B and 1B are both reasonable, IMO. Even 2B and SS aren't completely awful choices, either, there's no totally inexplicable Jeter type among the IFers.
    Last edited by blumj; 11-06-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Hudson missed alot of time do to injury and Brandon played awesome this year.. I dont get that!

Turn Off Ads?