Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

Since Doug has completed his top 40 list now would be a good time to start making predictions for next year. Who is your breakout candidate?

And for the fourth year in a row, I pick: Tyler Pelland. He made HUGE strides forward after being converted to a reliever.K rate up, walks down. lower WHIP, and he is still a flamethrower from the left side to boot. He could see time in the Reds pen by July or make for a fine trade chip as the reds pen is overloaded with LH's (Bray, Stanton, Cout, Guardado) Though I'd love to see him replace Stanton. He's able to pitch longer as he was a starter his entire professional career for the most part. Huge upside IMO and your breakout player of the year for 2008.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 breakout minor leaguer of the year

Drew Stubbs, plain and simple.

Stubbs is a good candidate, IF he can keep his 2007 second half production going. But the FSL isn't a hitters league is it? He'll be tested, but if he hits, he's certainly got the defensive rep that says he'll be fine after that.

I also wonder if LeCure starts the season in AA or AAA. If its AA and he dominates the league, he makes for a nice trading chip. If it's AA he could be a breakout player.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

He's able to pitch longer as he was a starter his entire professional career for the most part.
    I agree, and I hope it turns out that way, but there's some sort of institutional mass hypnosis in MLB today that 95% of all lefty relievers are viewed as LOOGYs. The multiple-inning lefty reliever is definitely on the endangered list.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I agree, and I hope it turns out that way, but there's some sort of institutional mass hypnosis in MLB today that 95% of all lefty relievers are viewed as LOOGYs. The multiple-inning lefty reliever is definitely on the endangered list.
    Yeah, but how many lefites out of the bullpen are junk pitchers compared to guys with actual stuff? Pelland actually can throw, unlike most of these 'Loogy' guys around the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, but how many lefites out of the bullpen are junk pitchers compared to guys with actual stuff? Pelland actually can throw, unlike most of these 'Loogy' guys around the league.
    Correct, most Loogy's are either washed up pitchers, or a guy with a slider and nothing else.

Travis Wood. I predict he comes back healthy, dominates the FSL for a month or so, and then does much of the same in AA to claim the title of the next sweet Reds pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Travis Wood. I predict he comes back healthy, dominates the FSL for a month or so, and then does much of the same in AA to claim the title of the next sweet Reds pitching prospect.
    Travis Wood will either be spectacular this year or he will be drowned in injuries. There will be no middle ground.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Travis Wood will either be spectacular this year or he will be drowned in injuries. There will be no middle ground.
    Well, given that he is healthy right now, I hope spectacular is the word we can use this time next year when referring to his 2008 season.

I'll go with Pedro Viola. Lefties who can miss bats like that just don't stay secrets for long. Another year in the states can't hurt. Not that he'll be an ace closer or anything, but I think he'll find himself on the radar of a lot more people next summer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well, I am going to go ahead and just go with Miguel Perez. He showed something with his bat this year that he hasn't shown since he was in Billings. He is still quite young, he just has been around for a while.

I think Stubbs will break out and finish the season in AA.

I don't know if Kyle Lotzkar qualifies for this, but I expect he'll be seen as a top prospect one year from now.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I am going to go with Adam Rosales. I think he is going to have a strong year this upcoming year and will be promoted up to Louisville and might get a chance next spring or in September. He improved a ton this year over last year and I think he will just continue improving and be one of the Reds best prospects.

I think Paul Janish will come on strong. I really think he underperformed last year. He had a terrible season. I just think that this young man will be a much better hitter next year. He is already one of the best defensive players in minor league baseball. I just hope that next year his hitting will come around, and he will make it up to the big club.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I think Paul Janish will come on strong. I really think he underperformed last year. He had a terrible season. I just think that this young man will be a much better hitter next year. He is already one of the best defensive players in minor league baseball. I just hope that next year his hitting will come around, and he will make it up to the big club.
    I went to several ST games in March, and the Reds must feel there is something to this guy as they gave him ample playing time. He started or at least played in every game I was at.

Turn Off Ads?