3. Cincinnati
    4. St. Louis
    5. Houston
    6. Milwaukee
    7. Dallas
    8. Pittsburgh
    9. Columbus
    10. Atlanta

5 out of 6 NL Central Cities, interesting.

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/mo...live_well.html
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 11-06-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: hopefully fixed link

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Forbes Top 10 Cities to "Live Well"

You're link doesn't work... no www and too many dots/spaces toward the end. I tried a few different ways but still couldn't get it to work.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The list is "Most Affordable Places To Live Well"

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/rea...ealestate.html

3. Cincinnati
    The Queen City is one of the most affordable in the country, in terms of cost of living and housing. Median-earning residents here can afford 76.5% of the homes on the market. Not that they need it (it's the fifth cheapest city to live in), but housing affordability leaves Cincinnatians with plenty of cash on hand. The city is in the bottom half of Sperling's measure.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Half of the list is rust-belt cities. That's why housing is cheap there.
    /r/reds

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    You're link doesn't work... no www and too many dots/spaces toward the end. I tried a few different ways but still couldn't get it to work.
    I think I fixed the link.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Half of the list is rust-belt cities. That's why housing is cheap there.
    And Dallas and Houston are total armpits, like my own city, Philadelphia.

So it's easy to understand why these places are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    1. Minneapolis
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Cincinnati
    4. St. Louis
    5. Houston
    6. Milwaukee
    7. Dallas
    8. Pittsburgh
    9. Columbus
    10. Atlanta

5 out of 6 NL Central Cities, interesting.

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/mo...live_well.html

Couldn't agree more.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

MInneapolis rules as a city, but that weather is dreaful.

We all know about the cold, but I've spent lots of time there in the summer months, and the heat and humidity are on a par with St. Louis. That's probably why it's so cheap.

Course, they have a ton of record stores, and I also got to feel and hear bullets whizzing over my head at Prince's now defunct Glam Slam. Fits all of the criteria for an awesome city.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    MInneapolis rules as a city, but that weather is dreaful.

We all know about the cold, but I've spent lots of time there in the summer months, and the heat and humidity are on a par with St. Louis. That's probably why it's so cheap.

Course, they have a ton of record stores, and I also got to feel and hear bullets whizzing over my head at Prince's now defunct Glam Slam. Fits all of the criteria for an awesome city.

A - I've lived here 3 straight summers and the summer weather here is great. It's nowhere near St. Louis. Sure, it has its days or the occasional week where it's hot and sticky, but for the most part, it stays in the low to mid 80s with medium level humidity. I know I spent most of the summers of my life in Cincy, and the weather is SOOOOO much better in the summer than there. One of the thinfgs my wife and I love most about the city is the weather in the summer. It's fantastic. And she's from San Diego, so she knows great weather.

B - The winters here are colder than most of the midwest. But the extreme cold you hear so much about only last a couple of weeks. Most of the winter it stays in the high teens to mid 20s. But there's always a couple of weeks, where it's so freaking cold you just can't go outside unless you absolutely have to.

But the other side of that is that it's sunny all winter. It's the darndest thing. You can look outside and it can be 10 below zero, and you'd swear it was a warm sunny day. Most midwest cities have cloud cover most of the winter and it's gloomy the entire time. Here it's blue skies and sunny every day. Having experienced both, I'll take the sun and colder temps.

But the people who have lived here most of their lives LOVE the winter. It's weird, they spend more time doing outside winter activities than they so summer. Everyone seems to play broomball or hockey. Tons of people ice fish in the lakes. There's snowmobiles all over the place. Seriously, they ride them on the sidewalks here in the winter. When there's snow on the ground, you can't drive very far without seeing people out on their snowmobiles.

It's the most outdoor active place I've ver been. There's a reason why the Twin cities have the fewest hours of TV watched per capita of anywhere in the US. I've never seen so much outdoor activity in my life. It's contagious as well. My family is quickly becoming very outdoor active.

C - It's not that cheap. That's one of the misconceptions here. The house I bought here cost about 60% more here than it would have cost in the Cincy suburbs. I wish it was cheaper, but outside of Chicago, it's probably the most expensive place to live in the midwest.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-07-2007 at 09:39 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I hear Akron is pretty affordable too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    And Dallas and Houston are total armpits, like my own city, Philadelphia.
    I gotta say, though, that me and the Mrs. spent a few days in Philly in August and were pleasantly surprised. It didn't seem to me to be the Filthadelphia of old, we actually enjoyed putting around downtown and seeing the sites. Now I know that there are plenty of crap 'hoods still left in Philly, but my impression was that the city had come a long way. I certainly have warmer thoughts of Philly than I do of Houston. (Never set foot in Dallas).
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I maintain that the quality of life in the Midwest is a well-kept secret.

Not terribly sexy or trendy, but if you want a rock-solid lifestyle, its the place to be.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I maintain that the quality of life in the Midwest is a well-kept secret.

Not terribly sexy or trendy, but if you want a rock-solid lifestyle, its the place to be.
    Indeed. Although I greatly enjoy living in D.C., I likely wouldn't be here if my work hadn't led me here. The culture, restaurants and other trappings of urban life are nice, and we enjoy them as much as we can...but there are certainly days when I yearn for the unclogged streets, affordable houses, and generally less-hectic pace of life of the midwest.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I yearn for the unclogged streets, affordable houses, and generally less-hectic pace of life of the midwest.
    Those things are not exclusive to the MW, the west is full of all the same qualities and ample BLM land (as opposed to private farm land)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    A - I've lived here 3 straight summers and the summer weather here is great.
    In the 10 years I lived in Wisconsin (which precede your 3 years), I remember seeing stories on the news about terrible thunderstorms and tornadoes hitting Minneapolis what seemed like every summer. We had our share of that kind of weather in Wisconsin, but it always seemed like your city got hit worse than we did.

I don't doubt your experience, but it's very different than what I perceived about Minny during my time in the upper midwest.

Also, I was reminded recently how the snow or sleet that we saw so many times on Halloween in that part of the country was always a drag.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?