Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogart's

Bogart's

I have a question for anybody with any info. When is the Box office open to buy tickets for future events? I'm going to the Chiodos, Emery, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and Devil Wears Prada concert on the 19. I can buy tickets online but they have a $6.15 service charge for each ticket. I would rather just get them in person and save the $24 dollars for the 4.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Bogart's

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I have a question for anybody with any info. When is the Box office open to buy tickets for future events? I'm going to the Chiodos, Emery, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and Devil Wears Prada concert on the 19. I can buy tickets online but they have a $6.15 service charge for each ticket. I would rather just get them in person and save the $24 dollars for the 4.
    Don't take this as sarcasm, but I would suggest buying them at the door on the day of the show. I have never heard of any of these bands and find it hard to believe they would sell out. I am getting old and my last concert was Dropkick Murphys about 4 years ago where I got in a fight, got thrown out and got my a@#$ kicked by about 10 of the dudes friends outside. Havn't went to a show sense. So you could say I'm outa the loop a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Don't take this as sarcasm, but I would suggest buying them at the door on the day of the show. I have never heard of any of these bands and find it hard to believe they would sell out. I am getting old and my last concert was Dropkick Murphys about 4 years ago where I got in a fight, got thrown out and got my a@#$ kicked by about 10 of the dudes friends outside. Havn't went to a show sense. So you could say I'm outa the loop a bit.
    They are cheaper in advanced, and this is a decent tour. It will sell out. I didn't take it as sarcasm, most people haven't heard of them. Chiodos has a pretty good following. They have been selling out in the other venues. I would just feel better by getting them now.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    They are cheaper in advanced, and this is a decent tour. It will sell out. I didn't take it as sarcasm, most people haven't heard of them. Chiodos has a pretty good following. They have been selling out in the other venues. I would just feel better by getting them now.
    Pretty much M-Sat business hours - usually a gal chewing gum reading a magazine at the window all day. I've always gone up there on a lunch break of late and have never had a problem with it not being open.

That said, Corryville is a shell of it's former self, riddled with crime, and nothing but nail shops, tattoo parlors and cash advance stores. So Bogart's shows are pretty sparse and empty it seems for the most part.

I saw Perry Farrell there not too long ago, and there might've been a couple of hundred people there at best. It was sad to see Sudsy's boarded up along with Top Cat's, and Daniel's Pub was empty and literally falling apart without a useable restroom.

Any ways sorry to get off subject - just give them a call and check their hours, if they're not listed on their web site (www.bogarts.com).

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Pretty much M-Sat business hours - usually a gal chewing gum reading a magazine at the window all day. I've always gone up there on a lunch break of late and have never had a problem with it not being open.

That said, Corryville is a shell of it's former self, riddled with crime, and nothing but nail shops, tattoo parlors and cash advance stores. So Bogart's shows are pretty sparse and empty it seems for the most part.

I saw Perry Farrell there not too long ago, and there might've been a couple of hundred people there at best. It was sad to see Sudsy's boarded up along with Top Cat's, and Daniel's Pub was empty and literally falling apart without a useable restroom.

Any ways sorry to get off subject - just give them a call and check their hours, if they're not listed on their web site (www.bogarts.com).
    Thanks

Stat geek...and proud

Sudsy's and Top Cat's are gone?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I saw Porcupine Tree there a few weeks ago. It had been quite awhile since I'd been there. The neighborhood definitely aint what she used to be.

They made a dude ahead of us take off the chain belt he was wearing to hold up his leather kilt. You just can't rock like you used too...<sigh>
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I know Sudsy Malones closed, but I hadn't heard that Top Cats had closed.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I know Sudsy Malones closed, but I hadn't heard that Top Cats had closed.
    Sadly enough:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...ats-closed.asp

Jupiter and Beyond next to Bogarts is long gone also.

Daniel's Pub is probably next.

Sadly enough:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...ats-closed.asp

Jupiter and Beyond next to Bogarts is long gone also.

Daniel's Pub is probably next.
    Short Vine needs some serious help right now.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Short Vine needs some serious help right now.
    I know this will probably start a series of insufferable "Zimpher sucks" posts, but have there been any efforts by the university to use its influence to develop that area? I know it's a public university and can't simply buy it up. But there are probably friends of the university who know that UCincy will recruit better if Vine St. (and Calhoun for that matter) are relatively safe and stocked with things to do.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I know this will probably start a series of insufferable "Zimpher sucks" posts, but have there been any efforts by the university to use its influence to develop that area? I know it's a public university and can't simply buy it up. But there are probably friends of the university who know that UCincy will recruit better if Vine St. (and Calhoun for that matter) are relatively safe and stocked with things to do.
    What do you mean? The University of Akron seems to have the resources to buy up most of downtown Akron. They just entered an agreement to buy the Crown Plaza at Quaker Square, a hotel that was built into old Quaker Oats grain silos. It was a really nice and interesting hotel, but now it's going to be converted into dorms. The University is also buying up a bunch of downtown bars to tear down and build more housing to replace dorms and rental properties its going to tear down to build a new downtown football stadium. The University is almost like the Borg, buying up and assimilating downtown properties at will. I guess when they raise tuition, they've got to spend that money somewhere. I actually think its a shame, because it pushes business development out of downtown to West Akron and Fairlawn, an area that is rapidly becoming overdeveloped with nondescript corporate campuses, strip malls, and chain restaurants.

Never been to Bogarts myself, but I'm sure if UC wanted to, they could do something with the area.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What do you mean? The University of Akron seems to have the resources to buy up most of downtown Akron. They just entered an agreement to buy the Crown Plaza at Quaker Square, a hotel that was built into old Quaker Oats grain silos. It was a really nice and interesting hotel, but now it's going to be converted into dorms. The University is also buying up a bunch of downtown bars to tear down and build more housing to replace dorms and rental properties its going to tear down to build a new downtown football stadium. The University is almost like the Borg, buying up and assimilating downtown properties at will. I guess when they raise tuition, they've got to spend that money somewhere. I actually think its a shame, because it pushes business development out of downtown to West Akron and Fairlawn, an area that is rapidly becoming overdeveloped with nondescript corporate campuses, strip malls, and chain restaurants.

Never been to Bogarts myself, but I'm sure if UC wanted to, they could do something with the area.
    Interesting. I just wasn't sure if a public university would have the $$$ to do this out of its own pocket. If UC does, it should consider doing this.

Here's a potential problem: assuming they don't have quite enough money, they'll never get the remainder from the legislature. The government knows that if any university buys property (regardless of whether the university is public/private), that university is tax exempt. Thus, if any university buys up half of Corryville, the city of Cincinnati will no longer get any property tax revenue.

This is a big deal around Boston. Harvard is munching up land across the river in the Allston section of Boston. Everytime Harvard does this, the city of Boston loses $$$. To make matters worse, Harvard is dragging its feet about developing a lot of it, so the neighborhood is decaying. Some of these buildings have broken windows, graffiti, etc. Meanwhile, it might take years before Harvard decides what it wants to do with the property.
    Stick to your guns.

That's sad, I have fond memories of that area from my day. I had a buddy who lived above the Cupboard and worked across the street at Dollar Bills Saloon, I saw my first club show at Bogarts on my 18th Birthday (Commander Cody) I also saw the indescribable Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires there too....

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    There have been successful efforts by the university to gobble up adjacent land. Stratford Heights and the whole Calhoun St. mess were initiated this way. But to the best of my knowledge, UC hasn't purchased any properties east of Jefferson.

Interestingly, there is a model of the university plans in the University Pavillion on campus. They show the first two blocks east of Jefferson redeveloped with a streetcar/tram running in the middle of Jefferson connecting east and west campus. UC just finished up a $1+billion campus building spree and has some serious budget issues now because of it. So I don't see the university buying Corryville property anytime soon.

I also found this re: Corryville/Short Vine redevelopment. http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cdap/pages/-7760-/

As for recruiting being hampered due to crime, I spent three years off campus; one year each in Fairview, Corryville and Clifton (gaslight). I never felt unsafe walking to and from campus. It doesn't mean you don't have to be aware of your surroundings, but with a little common sense and planning, it was a total non-issue for me. But today, I would never walk down Short Vine by myself at night. That's just asking for problems.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-10-2007 at 10:41 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?