Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Video Game icons

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Top Video Game icons

Ya beat me, I was just about to post this.

1. Mario
    2. Solid Snake - Metal Gear
    3. Sonic
    4. Master Chief - Halo
    5. Lara Croft
    6. Link - Zelda
    7. Ms. Pac Man
    8. Kratos
    9. Gordon Freeman - Half Life
    10. Ryu/Ken - Street Fighter

Interesting list.

They forgot the most dominating force in video game history, the Techmo Bowl version of Bo Jackson.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Kinda suprised Madden isn't in there. I know he's not playable, but he changed the landscape of football video games. If not ALL sports games.
    Witty signature.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

1. Mario
    No brainer choice right here. Although, I do feel compelled to point out that it has been a while since a truly 'amazing' Mario game has come out. I thought Mario Sunshine was "eh" -- Mario 64 was good, but felt like a shakedown cruise for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and its engine.

The Mickey Mouse comparison in the article is quite appropriate; both are the faces of their respective companies, yet neither would be considered "flag bearer" for the top quality titles produced. Been a while since a good Mickey Mouse cartoon was made too.

2. Solid Snake - Metal Gear
    Good games, but I'm not sure I'd rank Solid Snake this highly on any video game character list. Most people who are fans of this franchise probably have no idea how truly awful the original Metal Gear was.

3. Sonic
    Lost a bit of his luster when Sega went defunct as a hardware manufacturer. I was never a huge Sonic fan, but thats more a personal preference than anything else.

4. Master Chief - Halo
    I'm not certain this choice is at all different than the later choice of Gordon Freeman (which was a better selection, IMO). Both protagonists in sci-fi FPS games, both really more a cypher for the player than a character themselves.

5. Lara Croft
    Other than wasting the time of countless young teenagers in the 90s, who searched the net far and wide for a "nude code" for this game, I don't see this character as worthy of a Top-10 spot. Lara Croft is also responsible for 2 awful movies, which should impact her draft stock.

6. Link - Zelda
    My #1A behind Mario. Probably one of the most recognizable video game characters outside of the gaming world. Earns bonus points for never having produced a bad game in the series (the Phillips CDi games notwithstanding)

7. Ms. Pac Man
    If you're going to go old school, your character list is pretty much limited to Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man Dig Dug and Q-Bert. Ms. Pac Man is the solid choice.

8. Kratos
    Truly a "The Hell?" selection. The franchise is way too new to consider this character anything close to an icon.

9. Gordon Freeman - Half Life
    Like the selection. Half-Life has been something of the gold standard for non tournament-style FPS games, and the stories have actually managed to be pretty interesting. Head crabs freak me out.

10. Ryu/Ken - Street Fighter
    The original "fighting game" characters -- pretty much gave birth to the genre that would be responsible for Mortal Kombat, Samurai Showdown, Darkstalkers, etc. I think just about any guy between the ages of 20-30 could put up a competent fight in a Street Fighter game, even if they hadn't touched a controller in years, if they had Ken or Ryu.

I think the list is OK...but I'd probably find a way to add a few of the following to the list:

* Simon Belmont (Castlevania) -- They kept adding new Belmont members to the family, but the original is still the most iconic vampire hunter of all time. And yes, I'm fully aware that Trevor Belmont (from Castlevania III) starred in the superior game.

* Samus Aran (Metroid) -- The original space-monster fighting chick.

* Sam & Max -- Bunny and Dog "Freelance Police" from the old-school Point-n-Click adventure game Sam & Max Hit the Road. Also a short-lived cartoon series on Fox.

Really, a genre that produced some frigging unbelievable games back in the day (Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, etc.) Somebody should represent from that list of games -- and somebody should bring those games back.

* Little Mac -- Hero of Mike Tyson's punch out. Somehow managed to defeat men 4 times his size with nothing more than an uppercut, a body blow, and that crazy twisting punch that stopped working after 7 or 8 fights.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Good games, but I'm not sure I'd rank Solid Snake this highly on any video game character list. Most people who are fans of this franchise probably have no idea how truly awful the original Metal Gear was.
    The NES versions? they should never be considered when talking about Snake, they were crap ports of much better MSX games.

Where's Garrett from the Thief series on this list? BOO.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The NES versions? they should never be considered when talking about Snake, they were crap ports of much better MSX games.

...taffer.

I would have moved Gordon up a little bit - but that is just me.
    However, they completely missed my personal favorite, the left-sided paddle from Pong. That guy rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    They forgot the most dominating force in video game history, the Techmo Bowl version of Bo Jackson.
    Werd.

When Bo was in "Excellent" condition, we used to try to get him to rush for over 1,000 yards in a single game. The only way that I could ever accomplish this was to have Marcus Allen take the first handoff of each possession and run backwards to his own 1 yard line and then go out of bounds. That way, Bo could get the maximum allowable 99 yards on each of his TD carries.

At the end of the day, Bo would surpass 1,000 and Marcus would...uhm...have to "take one for the team."

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

I'm sorry, but did you just call metal Gear on the NES "crap"?

You. Me. Thunderdome. Now.

Anyways, about the list..

Mario is a lock for #1 on any list of this nature, no doubt. Snake probably fits on here somewhere but definitely not at #2. Sonic is probably better fit for #2, that series has sucked it hard lately, but he was Sega in the 90s. The Master Chief probably goes at #3, if not 2. At this point, everyone knows what Halo is, gamer or not. Laura Croft belongs no where near this list. Terribly flawed games, and spawned a terrible movie franchise as well. Link should definitely, definitely be higher than Croft. I'd probably pick Pac-Man before Ms. Pac-Man, but OK. Kratos just is not an icon yet, God of War is far too new. Half Life itself is a icon in gaming, but Gordon Freeman isn't really recognizeable (to me anyway) outside of the series. Ryu/Ken fits well near the bottom.

I'd probably cut out a few, maybe put in Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, or Cloud from Final Fantasy VII. In fact Cloud could probably slide in right front of Link, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Werd.

When Bo was in "Excellent" condition, we used to try to get him to rush for over 1,000 yards in a single game. The only way that I could ever accomplish this was to have Marcus Allen take the first handoff of each possession and run backwards to his own 1 yard line and then go out of bounds. That way, Bo could get the maximum allowable 99 yards on each of his TD carries.

At the end of the day, Bo would surpass 1,000 and Marcus would...uhm...have to "take one for the team."
    I don't recall the numbers I used to put up with Bo but I think he did break the NFL CAREER rushing record in one season.

We used to start Bo at the one, have him run to other one, thus gaining 98 yards, then we would have the QB or whatever get sacked for a 98 yard loss. Back to the Raider 1 yard line. Then Bo would go the distance. He would end each drive with 196 yards and a TD. Top that Adrian Peterson. Actually, since the sack occured on first down, Bo could go back to the other one and then after another sack, score a TD on 4th down for 294 yards on the drive.

If you dind't play the game, YES Bo was THAT good. He could go 99 yards on every play. The defenders used to just bounce off him. Needless to say, the creators of Techmo Bowl considered Bo to be a serious badass.

Its a good thing the video game industry came up with dweebs like Mario. If Bo was in every game you'd be able to solve it about 10 minutes after opening it.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 11-07-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    In fact Cloud could probably slide in right front of Link, IMO.
    I get that it was a game that took RPGs somewhat mainstream, but, in my mind, I can't get past the fact that Final Fantasy VI was a superior game an all areas other than graphics.

For better or worse, Cloud & The Giant Sword™ is the "face" of the series, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    I don't recall the numbers I used to put up with Bo but I think he did break the NFL CAREER rushing record in one season.
    I played through a season in Tecmo Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. They had no running game to speak of, so I passed on every down. Turns out they stop recording passing TDs at 63, so I'm not sure what my final total with Vinny Testaverde was. Likely a lot.

Great game.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I get that it was a game that took RPGs somewhat mainstream, but, in my mind, I can't get past the fact that Final Fantasy VI was a superior game an all areas other than graphics.

For better or worse, Cloud & The Giant Sword™ is the "face" of the series, though.
    Never had a chance to play it. I do REALLY enjoy FFVII, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    If you dind't play the game, YES Bo was THAT good. He could go 99 yards on every play. The defenders used to just bounce off him. Needless to say, the creators of Techmo Bowl considered Bo to be a serious badass.

Its a good thing the video game industry came up with dweebs like Mario. If Bo was in every game you'd be able to solve it about 10 minutes after opening it.
    We actually had to outlaw the raiders at our house. The Oilers had a play that was almost as devastating. It was a direct snap off tackle run to, I think, Alonzo Highsmith. Not always good for 99, but a pretty good run nonetheless.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    We actually had to outlaw the raiders at our house. The Oilers had a play that was almost as devastating. It was a direct snap off tackle run to, I think, Alonzo Highsmith. Not always good for 99, but a pretty good run nonetheless.
    In our tournaments I don't think we let anyone use the Raiders either. My friends and I used to play tourneys and we all had our own team. San Fran, Philly, Denver, Buffalo, NYG, Washington and Chicago were our normal teams.

I used to play as SF and would bug my friends by constantly switching out Young and Montana. Young had that run up the gut that worked for an easy first down if the D didn't call that play. And the D never called that play because otherwise Jerry Rice would be wide open.

Brilliant game for the time.

Turn Off Ads?