Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AJ Burnett available for the right price

AJ Burnett available for the right price

Toronto is saying they will listen to offers for AJ as he an opt out after 2008. They say they need to be bowled over. I say pass.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3097618

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AJ Burnett available for the right price

He's rather pricey for a guy that can seem to stay healthy, which lessens his trade value. I suspect the jays will ask for a lot more than the Reds would be willing to part with.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

One big problem is that it is high risk, low reward.

He pitches great, he's gone after one year.

He tanks or gets injured, he stays and we are on the hook for 3 entire years.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Another flavor of this is: Anybody is available for the right price. Complete non-story.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    One big problem is that it is high risk, low reward.

He pitches great, he's gone after one year.

He tanks or gets injured, he stays and we are on the hook for 3 entire years.
    Excellent point.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'd be willing to take the chance. He's a stud and makes us instant contenders for the division.

Hamilton, Homer and Valaika....see ya, fellas.

I would be willing to trade Griffey for him, especially if Toronto offered to absorb some of Burnett's contract in 2009 and 2010.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    I'd be willing to take the chance. He's a stud and makes us instant contenders for the division.

Not a chance! Burnett makes us nothing but fools for taking on a headcase with a bad contract.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post

wow! That's a crazy trade, imo. Way, way too risky at too high a price. Burnett is good enough to be worth the cost if he was sure to be healthy but that is a huge IF in his case.

Has trouble staying healthy at 13mill+ for the next 3 years, no thanks
    Go Gators!

Its the worst possible target! If he does well he opts out for a bigger payday with a contender. If he's hurt or injured the Reds are stuck for 3 years. No way to win in a deal for Burnett unless the team deals an aging bad contract the other way (and that could still be a loss if he's hurt and it hamstrings the team in 2009 and 2010). Griffey is the only guy I'd trade for him and I doubt he'd go to Toronto with the taxes that would be coming out of his check up there. I wouldn't even take him for marginal Minor leaguer. The team takes all the risk here.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Roy Halladay had three games throwing 125 or more pitches, A.J. Burnett had two (including tying for the MLB high of 130)

Turn Off Ads?