Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Wonder What Said the Reds?

I Wonder What Said the Reds?

Saw this note from the meetings and thought it of interest:

On Tuesday, each general manager stood up during their meeting and stated what their offseason goals were. Many mentioned specific players they were making available. The idea was suggested by Boston's Theo Epstein and Florida's Larry Beinfest, co-chairs of this year's meeting.

"Usually it takes a while to be able to reach all 29 other teams and hear what they're trying to do. This increased our efficiency tremendously. It saves us all a lot of time,'' Epstein said. "Some teams were specific. Some were more guarded.''
    Hmmm, I wonder which the Reds were.

For my part, here's hoping WK was a little more open as a means of getting some dialogue started. Nice idea by Epstein and Beinfest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: I Wonder What Said the Reds?

I'm hoping Wayne Krivsky stood up and said his offseason goal was to find a new home for Ken Griffey, Jr, and that Homer Bailey was readily available for a proven MLB pitcher that would fit the #2 or #3 mold.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

"Our goal is to get all our guys on the same page and play the game the right way. We want to win."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I hope we don't make Homer Bailey available for a #3 starter and for that matter, most #2 starters....

Not that it matters, i think RMR hit the nail on the head with what Wayne likely said.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I imagine some of them were "guarded" in their comments because of at least one known leaker in the room. It's probably better for clubs with potentially touchy situations to be selective in the information provided to GMs who have shown a tendency to pass information to sportswriters.
    /r/reds

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I hope Wayne Krivsky stood up and told Jim Bowden some choice words. I love drama.

Let's hope he went the more proactive approach. It's a nice opportunity to let the other clubs know what they are willing to do.

I wonder too, what cone of silence they were supposed to stick to in order to enter into a somewhat frank conversation along those lines. I am guessing the Gammons' of the world will be trying like heck to work their contacts (like, say, Bowden) to figure out what some teams' thoughts might be.

Edited to add: Well done Unassisted, you beat me to that particular musing...

Could they stop the "leaker"? Depends.....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    "Our goal is to get all our guys on the same page and play the game the right way. We want to win."
    I think RMR is WK. That sounds about dead on what he would have said.

I hope he stood up and said "Adam Dunn will be ready to the following teams x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x at the trade deadline...get your offers together. We will be wanting nothing less than a MLB ready #2, a middle reliever and a catcher."
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I think RMR is WK. That sounds about dead on what he would have said.
    I cannot comment on that rumor right now. I'll have more to say about it when the time is right. But for now, there's nothing to be said.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I hope he stood up and said "Adam Dunn will be ready to the following teams x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x at the trade deadline...get your offers together. We will be wanting nothing less than a MLB ready #2, a middle reliever and a catcher."
    And he would have been absolutely laughed out of the room.

"Hi everyone I'm Dayton Moore. I want our team not to stink anymore. Hey Cashman stop hogging the pastries, I call the cheese danish. What do you mean the danish is controlled by Boras? fine i call dibs on the bran muffin at least that is healthy. Krivsky I don't care about the added sugar, it has fiber. Yes fiber is good for you. hey Texas kid yeah you'll care about fiber one you get gray hairs. Oh you want pitching well who doesn't want pitching. Hey here's an idea when you have a Chris Young stud type guy don't send him away with a good firstbaseman. Hey its not like you guys want anything I have so I can be brunt. Oh wait someone wants Reggie Sanders. Ohh I'm sure you will have enough to turn us around. Greinke evryone asks for Greinke. Tell you what Cashman you get me that Danish and we can talk about Greinke. Wait where did everyone go. Doesn't anyone want Larue and Hudson for a 2 starter. Hudson has a live arm and Larue is a scrappy veteran. Um Doritos"

"Hi, my name is Wayne and I've been a general manager for two years. At first it was great. I started wheeling and dealing and everything came up roses. The rush was incredible. I thought I wouldn't be like those other GMs who get strung out on a skid of bad deals. I wasn't like them. I was better. I could do no wrong. Then I got involved with another abuser and we made this shady back alley deal than went bad, real bad. The kind of bad that leaves scars on the inside. I got real paranoid and I started popping relievers like they were Tic-Tacs. I didn't recognize the guy I saw in the mirror. I tried to pretend the team just needed to play the game the right way, that a 21-year-old kid with no control would be our saviour, that what my club really needed was some over-the-hill veteran filler. It all just made things worse. Now I recognize I've got a problem. I've got a bad team and I need to admit that. That's the first step and I've taken it. It's been hard. It's hard every day. The temptation to pay Carlos Silva a king's ransom is always there. I sometimes get so twisted I convince myself I've got enough pitching in house to get the job done, but then I snap out of it. I'm getting better and I hope over the offseason my team can get better one step at a time."
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    "Hi, my name is Wayne and I've been a general manager for two years. At first it was great. I started wheeling and dealing and everything came up roses. The rush was incredible. I thought I wouldn't be like those other GMs who get strung out on a skid of bad deals. I wasn't like them. I was better. I could do no wrong. Then I got involved with another abuser and we made this shady back alley deal than went bad, real bad. The kind of bad that leaves scars on the inside. I got real paranoid and I started popping relievers like they were Tic-Tacs. I didn't recognize the guy I saw in the mirror. I tried to pretend the team just needed to play the game the right way, that a 21-year-old kid with no control would be our saviour, that what my club really needed was some over-the-hill veteran filler. It all just made things worse. Now I recognize I've got a problem. I've got a bad team and I need to admit that. That's the first step and I've taken it. It's been hard. It's hard every day. The temptation to pay Carlos Silva a king's ransom is always there. I sometimes get so twisted I convince myself I've got enough pitching in house to get the job done, but then I snap out of it. I'm getting better and I hope over the offseason my team can get better one step at a time."

Hi Wayne

Turn Off Ads?