Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,738

    Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Apparently the Twinkies are willing to part with Garza and the rest of their young pitchers. They need a replacement for Torii Hunter, and they want a productive player who is young and cheap. I would also trade EdE for Garza, but not both he and Hamilton. The Twins are hot after a 3B and a CF, and they could also use a DH. They have targeted BJ Upton, Delmon Young, Chase Headley and Carlos Gomez. Maybe we could interest them in Hamilton or Encarnacion?

    Throw in Hatteberg, who could be their DH, if it gets it done.
    Hatteberg and Hamilton or Encarnacion for Matt Garza? Done and done.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-08-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,849

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    If they are targetting BJ Upton or Delmon Young.... you are going to have to offer both EE and Hamilton to get them to listen.

  4. #3
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    I'm betting they will try to replace Hunter without dealing any starting pitchers. They have lost Silva, will lose Santana, and who knows about Liriano. Starting pitchers are harder to replace than centerfielders.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  5. #4
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If they are targetting BJ Upton or Delmon Young.... you are going to have to offer both EE and Hamilton to get them to listen.
    Depends on what the competing offers look like. I agree, Hamilton probably won't suffice for Garza. I wouldn't be shocked if we could get Baker or Slowey, however.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,849

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Depends on what the competing offers look like. I agree, Hamilton probably won't suffice for Garza. I wouldn't be shocked if we could get Baker or Slowey, however.
    True.... but if they are going after guys like that, then the Reds are going to need to up the offer of just one of the two guys mentioned to get the Garza.

  7. #6
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,515

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'm betting they will try to replace Hunter without dealing any starting pitchers. They have lost Silva, will lose Santana, and who knows about Liriano. Starting pitchers are harder to replace than centerfielders.
    I'd say at best it's neck and depending upon what tier the CFer is in, it's not nearly so cut and dry. It all depends upon the CFer and the pitcher thats being talked about.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  8. #7
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,043

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    I know there is an outfield logjam that is growing but Hamilton did some nice things last year for a guy who hadn't played ball since Little League. with another year of improving health and experience, he should only be improving. He's cheap and I'd like the Reds to keep him under control to have in the mix in case Dunn won't resign to an extension.

  9. #8
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Though I can't speak to the talent side, I know that Garza is considered a head-case, a Lohse 2.0 if you will. A guy who thinks he knows it all and won't take coaching. Something to consider at least.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #9
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,515

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I know there is an outfield logjam that is growing but Hamilton did some nice things last year for a guy who hadn't played ball since Little League. with another year of improving health and experience, he should only be improving. He's cheap and I'd like the Reds to keep him under control to have in the mix in case Dunn won't resign to an extension.
    It's only a "logjam" in '08 because there is Dunn, Jr, Hamilton, and Bruce for 3 spots with Freel playing supersub. I think it would be short sighted to trade away 5 years of controlling Hamilton just because Jr's contract is too hard to move. I'd suggest that this team actually has too many corner outfielders and no true CFer for '08.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  11. #10
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,255

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    I hate the idea of dealing Edwin. Unless we are going to go after another right handed bat, why deal one of your only two legit right handed power threats?

    I'm open to dealing Griffey, Hamilton, or Dunn. It's hard to know what Hamilton's value really is on the openn market.

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's only a "logjam" in '08 because there is Dunn, Jr, Hamilton, and Bruce for 3 spots with Freel playing supersub. I think it would be short sighted to trade away 5 years of controlling Hamilton just because Jr's contract is too hard to move. I'd suggest that this team actually has too many corner outfielders and no true CFer for '08.
    Agreed.

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,849

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I hate the idea of dealing Edwin. Unless we are going to go after another right handed bat, why deal one of your only two legit right handed power threats?

    I'm open to dealing Griffey, Hamilton, or Dunn. It's hard to know what Hamilton's value really is on the openn market.
    Edwin isn't exactly a power threat.... maybe in the future, but not right now. I like Edwin and all, but I am notgoing to hold onto him just because he stands on the other side of home plate when he bats if I can move him for value.

  13. #12
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's only a "logjam" in '08 because there is Dunn, Jr, Hamilton, and Bruce for 3 spots with Freel playing supersub. I think it would be short sighted to trade away 5 years of controlling Hamilton just because Jr's contract is too hard to move. I'd suggest that this team actually has too many corner outfielders and no true CFer for '08.
    For a shot at Matt Garza, Hamilton should definitely be made available. Young pitchers with Garza's potential aren't made available every day.

    Short sighted? Maybe, if you are only thinking about the OF. But then go out and make a move on Hunter.

    Harang, Garza, BA and Homer at the front of the rotation with Hunter in CF? Go get a couple of legit relievers and now you are on to something.

    Not saying that Hamilton/Garza could actually happen, but I would move Hamilton in a second. Don't forget Stubbs...Wayne probably still (hopefully) has faith in him and that would make trading Ham a bit easier.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,738

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Hamilton and Votto for Garza? Would you be willing to pay that price? I would definitely consider it.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-08-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  15. #14
    The Mad Monk Jaycint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hamilton and Votto for Garza? Would you be willing to pay that price?
    A little too much for my blood. One of those two and a lesser prospect would get my seal of approval, not that that means anything.

    Whatever Garza's pedigree may be I think it is still a little too much to give up two everyday regular position players. I do like his ability to keep the ball in the yard and his k rate. Would like to see the BB/9 come down some though.

  16. #15
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Josh Hamilton for Matt Garza?

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'd say at best it's neck and depending upon what tier the CFer is in, it's not nearly so cut and dry. It all depends upon the CFer and the pitcher thats being talked about.
    I'm not certain I understand your blended cliches...but I'm pretty sure I disagree.

    Quality starting pitchers are harder to develop than quality centerfielders. A young outfielder can work on his trade every day, but that isn't true of pitchers. The art of refining most athletic skills requires the frequent repetition of movements to form rote muscle memory. Pitchers can't repeat their necessary movements as frequently as outfielders can.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25